PDA

View Full Version : Discrimination to a brother officer.

jklaughrey
06-04-10, 08:10
http://www.koinlocal6.com/content/news/topstories/story/Cafe-asks-Portland-Cop-to-leave/PxSFB2UbW0GzW-yLknbXWQ.cspx

PORTLAND, Ore. - It was early Tuesday afternoon, May 18th, Cornelia Seigneur was having lunch with her daughter at the Red and Black Cafe at Southeast 12th and Oak.

Seigneur had struck up a conversation with Portland Police officer James Crooker who had just picked up coffee to go. Then Seigneur said one of the cafe's owners approached and said something that stunned Seigneur.

Seigneur blogged about the whole incident here.

"He looked at the policeman and said I'd like you to leave," she said.

The officer left without incident, but Seigneur says she was both shocked and disappointed that an officer was run out of a cafe simply because of his profession.

"I felt just really uncomfortable -- just really uncomfortable about it and I felt many of our customers and co workers would not feel safe in a space with a uniformed police officer with a gun," said Red and Black Cafe co-owner John Langley.

Langley says he's not trying to make a statement. Rather he says he was trying to make the cafe feel safe and comfortable for customers -- many of whom feel preyed upon by Portland Police.

Langley says many customers and co-workers feel Portland Police abuse power. Langley says many people who feel that abuse are customers.

The Portland Police Bureau has had three deadly shootings so far in 2010.

Aaron Campbell was shot in the back Jan. 29 after refusing to follow orders to lie on the ground. Officers shot non-lethal beanbag rounds at him first, but Campbell still did not comply and actually started to run away from officers when he was shot in the back. He was unarmed.

Jack Collins was shot multiple times by a Portland Police officer March 22 at the Hoyt Arboretum. Collins, a homeless man with mental issues, was using a razor blade knife to threaten people in the park. Collins did not comply to officers' orders to lie down.

Portland Police fired 32 shots at Keaton Otis, hitting the 25-year-old 23 times on May 12. Otis lead police on a chase through many Portland city blocks, refusing to pull over despite flashing lights and multiple orders over a loud speaker. Otis still did not comply after he was Tasered twice. Otis pulled out a gun and shot Officer Christopher Burley twice in the leg. That's when other officers unloaded 32 rounds at Otis, hitting him 23 times.
Officer Crooker's response

Officer James Crooker has been with Portland Police for two years and says he wasn't aware of the prevailing attitute toward police among co-owners of the Red and Black Cafe when he went in for coffee to go and was subsequently asked to leave because he is a police officer.

Crooker says he has mixed emotions about being asked to leave. During his tour of duty in Iraq in 2004, he grew an appreciation, he says, for people's willingness and freedom to challenge authority. In Iraq, says Crooker, people would never confront an authority figure. So in one sense he says he was slightly humiliated and disappointed. On the other hand, Crooker says, he's appreciative of a country that allows people to question who ever they want -- concerning what ever they want.

According to LegalZoom and LegalMatch, places of business like restaurants and cafes have the right to refuse service for specific reasons.

LeagalZoom cites the Unruh Civil Rights Act from 1959 as protection against discrimination by business owners. The law was named for Jesse Unruh, who wrote the law. According to LegalZoom, “business owners could not discriminate, for example, against hippies, police officers, homosexuals, or Republicans, solely because of who they were.”

LegalMatch says that even though restaurants may be privately owned, “the primary purpose of a restaurant is to sell food to the general public, which necessarily requires susceptibility to equal protection laws.”

I am utterly disgusted, maybe a road trip is in order with few of my fellow officers to this den of anarchists. OFF DUTY of course.

06-04-10, 08:12
You'll just get beaten with pipes while the world condemns your actions; not those of the crowd.

jklaughrey
06-04-10, 08:27
Before anyone takes my last line about visiting this coffee house out of context. I am not alluding to a violent act towards them. Merely going in out of uniform with 3 or 4 fellow officers, having some food, engaging with other patrons and then after they felt comfortable that we were good guys reveal that we are LEO's. I think it would show them how flawed their logic is.

DaBears_85
06-04-10, 09:24
Before anyone takes my last line about visiting this coffee house out of context. I am not alluding to a violent act towards them. Merely going in out of uniform with 3 or 4 fellow officers, having some food, engaging with other patrons and then after they felt comfortable that we were good guys reveal that we are LEO's. I think it would show them how flawed their logic is.

I don't agree with them at all but it sounds like they have a problem with the Portland PD, not necessarily all LEO's. From my experience when you live in a city where there's multiple officer involved shootings within a certain period of time, and specifically one where a subject was shot after refusing to lay down, they tend to side with the victim due to lack of understanding of the situation and the inherit danger of the job. They just think the cops shot him for not lying down and therefore think that the cops are a bunch of renegade cowboys. Again, not my opinion just what I've observed.

Spiffums
06-04-10, 09:36
What's that line "Their turf, their rules"

randolph
06-04-10, 09:39
Im thinking a prime place for a weekly armed robbery...

most place I know encourage the local PD to come hang out, my x-wife had a business in a bad part of houston, HPD would come sit in her parking lot and do reports, once I figured out why they were doing there, I started BBQ'n every saturday for the guys, Id have 5-20 locals come by for lunch :D

jklaughrey
06-04-10, 09:40
Sad as it is, police get a bad rap sometimes. Granted there are those among who aren't acting in accordance with their sworn oath. I found this cafe's site and it just exudes anarchy and the proliferation of civil disobedience. On another note, this action shows poor business management skills, totally alienating a customer base.

TOrrock
06-04-10, 09:41
If you're going to quote an article, please provide a link for that article.

kmrtnsn
06-04-10, 09:46
Although I find their policy to be on the far left of stupid, it is their cafe and their rules. Don't want to sell coffee to cops? Fine, next time you are robbed don't call them for help.

DaBears_85
06-04-10, 09:57
Sad as it is, police get a bad rap sometimes. Granted there are those among who aren't acting in accordance with their sworn oath. I found this cafe's site and it just exudes anarchy and the proliferation of civil disobedience. On another note, this action shows poor business management skills, totally alienating a customer base.

Ahh... Anarchy and civil disobedience, the religion of the feeble minded.

From their website it sounds like a hangout for retarded hippies. My feelings wouldn't be hurt if they told me to leave. I'd take it as a compliment. Means you're doing something right... :)

jklaughrey
06-04-10, 10:01
Whatever happened to the days when if your kids were acting in way Un-American that we sent them to military school. I miss that America.

DaBears_85
06-04-10, 10:13
Whatever happened to the days when if your kids were acting in way Un-American that we sent them to military school. I miss that America.

She's still there, you just have to wade through all the liberal PC bullshit that seems to cloud everybodys judgement nowadays.

I come from a long lineage of military men and women. If my kids ever acted that way they'd be begging to go to military school just to get away from me.

dennisuello
06-04-10, 10:39
I wonder how fast ACLU would have been on-site if it was some hippy or gay asked to leave.

kry226
06-04-10, 14:28
Just because a person has a right to do something, doesn't mean it's appropriate to do so.

What's this frickin' world coming to? :rolleyes:

jklaughrey
06-04-10, 14:39
Found a FB page boycotting the place, just saying. Personally I think he is a capitalist posing as a marxist, who thinks he is an anarchist, but really he is just a ignorant person living in his parents basement and mad cuz the cops took his pot one day when he was an emo kid in grammar school.

CarlosDJackal
06-04-10, 14:44
Someone from that area needs to invite a bunch of Officers and park right in front of that establishment before and/or after their shift is over. Then they should buy their coffee from somewhere else and stand around drinking it.

If the do this on public property, there isn't a damned thing the shop owner can do.

Or maybe someone can put out the word that this coffee shop is off-limits to Responding Officers? I bet those assholes won't hesitate to dial 9-1-1 and ask the officers to hurry up if they were getting robbed or ransacked. :mad:

Irish
06-04-10, 14:49
I like yelp.com a lot for reviews of different restaurants & businesses. They're currently getting slammed on a lot of fronts due to this and I think it's great http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-and-black-cafe-portland.

kal
06-04-10, 15:11
When one person ****s up in an organization/race/etc, the entire organization/race/etc is tainted.

Let's say there is a cop and his name is Mike. The public has seen that Mike's department has been ****ing up lately and creating uneccessary tragedies.

What the public doesn't know is that police officer Mike is actually a pretty decent guy who is honest to god in his profession. But because he's a part of a tainted organization, he get's the same negative treatment.

This will never change. It is the human way.

Sort of how when some good people of "race 1" move into the neighborhood of "race 2", then "race 2" gets unnerved because "race 1" is always on the ten o'clock news making trouble.

BrianS
06-04-10, 15:59
I like yelp.com a lot for reviews of different restaurants & businesses. They're currently getting slammed on a lot of fronts due to this and I think it's great http://www.yelp.com/biz/red-and-black-cafe-portland.

LOL at some of the satirical reviews on that page now...

ST911
06-04-10, 16:18
With little exception, businesses should have the right to serve or refuse service as they see fit. Conduct of the cafe in question is nonsensical to me, but it should be their right.

Regardless of their conduct, the cafe is entitled to receive at least a minimum amount of LE and safety services. I hope that they will receive precisely that minimum.

According to LegalZoom and LegalMatch, places of business like restaurants and cafes have the right to refuse service for specific reasons.

LeagalZoom cites the Unruh Civil Rights Act from 1959 as protection against discrimination by business owners. The law was named for Jesse Unruh, who wrote the law. According to LegalZoom, “business owners could not discriminate, for example, against hippies, police officers, homosexuals, or Republicans, solely because of who they were.”

LegalMatch says that even though restaurants may be privately owned, “the primary purpose of a restaurant is to sell food to the general public, which necessarily requires susceptibility to equal protection laws.”

LegalZoom and LegalMatch? Really? :rolleyes:

The Unruh legislation referenced appears to be a CA law, and as such, is not binding on anyone outside CA. The CA statute as written is a little scary if you're a business owner.

Todd.K
06-04-10, 17:12
I am far more shocked that Portland hired a vet than a business in Portland told a cop to leave.

jklaughrey
06-04-10, 18:16
Todd you are correct that does seem out of character, but alas maybe there is hope for Portland after all.

BVickery
06-04-10, 19:06
Please do not construe this as any type of LEO bashing, I tried my hardest to make it more of a Point of View from a person who is very much one of the law abiding citizens who will view what goes down at times in the news involving police officers.

Some of it may be misunderstanding, but there are, sadly, some officers should not be officers. The increase in bullying by officers is on an increase and people are watching it with a keen eye. The McKenna (http://www.gazette.net/stories/04132010/prinnew153805_32578.php)case out of Maryland is an excellent example of my there is a growing mistrust of officers in the public. Then add in the kid who videotaped an officer who was bullying him and how more and more officers are trying to make it illegal to tape them during the performance of their jobs.

I do my best to judge all LEO's on a case by case basis. I've met a lot of them both in their official duties and while off duty and find that a vast majority of them are professional and a credit to their profession. As for the others, I wonder how and why other officers will back them blindly the way they do.

Its the bad apples that the public see, and when the good upstanding officers see stand up and try to defend these bad apples, it makes people start to wonder.

jklaughrey
06-04-10, 19:22
Why would we as objective adults, most of us here professionals in our chosen fields. Be known we understand the difficulties that having a bad officer presents a department. My father worked for LAPD during the tumultuous times in the 70's and 80's. I know what it means from his POV to back an officer do to the "line". I myself have been involved in some altercations where a fellow officer from another agency went overboard and I had the responsibility to write the report as I witnessed it. While I was hard pressed to report an officer I knew for years, I knew my integrity was worth more than a friendship. If regular "joe" citizen knew that we make many decisions that affect a multitude of lives at many levels each day. It might foster a better understanding of where we are coming from. My personal belief in what was the ultimate downturn of public trust of police was putting us in patrol cars. The "foot" patrol officer of old by far was in more contact with the community than they are today. But on a good note community policing is making a comeback in some areas. So I agree there are some bad apples, and we as officers are held to a higher standard of accountability due to the job functions that we perform. In this though we also open ourselves up to sometimes undeserved criticism. Cheers and god bless.

NCPatrolAR
06-04-10, 20:02
The increase in bullying by officers is on an increase and people are watching it with a keen eye.

I doubt there is an increase in bullying. What we are seeing is the few cases of actual bullying get alot more coverage and perceived bullying getting a great deal of air play thanks to 24 hr news channels, YouTube, Blogs, etc.

When it comes to the store telling the officer to leave; it doesnt phase me in the least. There are countless businesses officers dont go to due to the customer base, how the owners act, etc. This is really a non-issue to me.

TehLlama
06-04-10, 20:02
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes?

I really hope the next coffee shop in that location is much more LE friendly, because that one won't last long based on reviews I've seen.

500grains
06-04-10, 21:52
The police force draws recruits from the general population, so it is inevitable that a few people not suited for the work will be hired from time to time. But it is despicable for a person or business to treat police as described in the beginning of this thread. For low pay, police endure high stress, lousy hours, serious danger to life and limb, and continuous examination under a microscope, all in the hope that they can make the world safer for the rest of us. They deserve much more appreciation than they get.

bkb0000
06-04-10, 21:57

Bruce P says:

According to the dudes on M4M on Craigslist, the bathroom has great action.

The high school goths girls with that hang out there are on the weekends are pretty easy if you mention you are old enough to buy a case of PBR. Try to have a place close by to drink it though because they usually hate walking.

sounds like a pretty sweet place.

ST911
06-04-10, 22:30
I doubt there is an increase in bullying. What we are seeing is the few cases of actual bullying get alot more coverage and perceived bullying getting a great deal of air play thanks to 24 hr news channels, YouTube, Blogs, etc.

Agreed. There's about the same amount of buffoonery, just more inclination to air it and places to do it.

In fact, one could argue that with the proliferation of patrol based audio and video systems, there's less.

Then again, bullying is subject to definition and perception too.

Oscar 319
06-05-10, 06:00
Here is a link to another local news story on this incident with video of the officer and the cafe owner. http://www.krem.com/news/northwest-news/Officer-shown-the-door-at-Portland-cafe-95655664.html

Note the link to another story under "Northwest Video News" on the same page: Oregon Police Officer Seriously Hurt In Shooting.

chadbag
06-05-10, 06:20
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes?

I really hope the next coffee shop in that location is much more LE friendly, because that one won't last long based on reviews I've seen.

Except that the people giving the bad reviews wouldn't eat there anyway and the people who would eat there probably agree with the employee owner guy who asked the cop to leave. In their eyes this is probably good publicity.

mr_smiles
06-05-10, 07:13
It's a beatnik coffee shop, I would expect the same results as if a butcher walked into a vegans coffee shop.

SeriousStudent
06-05-10, 08:54
I always vote with my wallet. I tell my friends, and they vote with their wallets.

I'd be happy as a clam to have a dozen uniformed officers in my coffee shop (if I owned one). I'd give out free coffee and ice water to any officer or CHL holder.

Oh wait... that sounds like what I did when moonlighting at 7-11 about 20 years ago. :D

CarlosDJackal
06-05-10, 11:09
...but there are, sadly, some officers should not be officers...

You can say the same of any particular field. Just like the Military and the other Emergency Services, Law Enforcement agencies are microcosms of the very communities they serve. This makes a lot of sense if you think about it since the recruits come from these very same communities.

The big difference is that the press seems to take extra pleasure in sensationalizing what some bad apples do without any regard to facts, usually before the the completion of any investigation. II the process, the sheeple will believe the published story and jump to the most negative of conclusions. The end result is that members of the Law Enforcemment community who will close ranks and defend one of their own.

It's a natural conclusion borne out of the media's need to sell newspapers, win Pulitzer prizes, and press their own agendas; and the general public's own gullibility. JM2CW.

SW-Shooter
06-05-10, 11:09
Isn't there a dedicated L.E. forum?

While I don't condone this, it isn't my business either. Vote with your wallet. As long as they aren't violating NAACP's criteria, why should I care. Sarcasm, JIC you cannot read it in my words.

NCPatrolAR
06-05-10, 15:54
Isn't there a dedicated L.E. forum?

Yes; why?

Stickman
06-10-10, 16:04
Please do not construe this as any type of LEO bashing

The increase in bullying by officers is on an increase and people are watching it with a keen eye.

You aren't very old are you?

10MMGary
06-10-10, 18:52
I am far more shocked that Portland hired a vet than a business in Portland told a cop to leave.

Winner winner chicken dinner! great point.

Mjolnir
06-10-10, 22:44
When one person ****s up in an organization/race/etc, the entire organization/race/etc is tainted.

Let's say there is a cop and his name is Mike. The public has seen that Mike's department has been ****ing up lately and creating uneccessary tragedies.

What the public doesn't know is that police officer Mike is actually a pretty decent guy who is honest to god in his profession. But because he's a part of a tainted organization, he get's the same negative treatment.

This will never change. It is the human way.

Sort of how when some good people of "race 1" move into the neighborhood of "race 2", then "race 2" gets unnerved because "race 1" is always on the ten o'clock news making trouble.

That's kinda like I see it. Pretty damned sad on ALL fronts, too.

Some people dismissed "anarchists" in a way that leads me to believe that some feel they aren't dangerous. That would be a mistake. I could see this vermin siding with other disgruntled in the USA who would have some connections with others who wish to do you/me/us in.

Heartland Hawk
06-14-10, 21:33
I am not surprised at this type of behavior from this type of establishment. The owners need to grow up.

Abraxas
06-15-10, 23:05

Is the place really that bad. Never been there kinda curious. Many of the cops that I know around where I live avoid certain places and frequent others because of how the people who work there (not the patrons) feel about them. Sad really.

Titleist
06-16-10, 00:14
I feel this whole situation has given Portland a bad rap. It's a pretty awesome city, with pretty awesome people. Liberal? Yes. But generally if you don't go out looking to start a fight you'll get left alone.

It's a pretty cool city despite this incident. Please do keep that in mind, i.e separate out what this coffee place is doing vs the city as a whole. I find our cops to be upstanding individuals.

bkb0000
06-16-10, 00:33
I feel this whole situation has given Portland a bad rap. It's a pretty awesome city, with pretty awesome people. Liberal? Yes. But generally if you don't go out looking to start a fight you'll get left alone.

It's a pretty cool city despite this incident. Please do keep that in mind, i.e separate out what this coffee place is doing vs the city as a whole. I find our cops to be upstanding individuals.

what do you like about portland? i've never found it to possess any redeeming qualities.

Titleist
06-16-10, 00:48
Ben, I don't think this should become a "justify your city" thread. Just saying.

I appreciate the food, culture, architecture, juxtaposition between old and new, the breweries, living near the river, seeing Mt. Hood and Helens from my office window, the industrial district and seeing mounted police walking by on their horses, I enjoy the people for the most part and how you can get that big city feeling and then drive 5-10 minutes and be out in the country.

bkb0000
06-16-10, 01:37
Ben, I don't think this should become a "justify your city" thread. Just saying.

I appreciate the food, culture, architecture, juxtaposition between old and new, the breweries, living near the river, seeing Mt. Hood and Helens from my office window, the industrial district and seeing mounted police walking by on their horses, I enjoy the people for the most part and how you can get that big city feeling and then drive 5-10 minutes and be out in the country.

the city is part of the topic. portland breeds this kind of mindset and behavior. there's a chasm between law-enforcement and the general population- and it's self-perpetuating. the citizens treat the cops like shit, in portland, and so portland cops take a "**** the sheep" position toward the citizens, and it gets worse. this has been spiraling downward like this for decades, until we're at the point we're at right now with stupid ass citizen review panels that unanimously, predictably, un-waveringly condemn every single police action that comes to them, cops who choke people to death on a monthly basis, cops walking off the job on an almost daily basis, and a police department that flips through chiefs like hamburger patties at mcdonalds.

the citizens dont trust or support the police, the police cant trust the citizens nor their own leadership, their leadership leaves officers out in the wind at the stirring of a leaf. if we didn't know Saltzman was the police commissioner, we'd think he was some local anti-LE activist. he and Sizer both, by way they consistently condemn their own officers, further perpetuating the idea for the citizens that these "cowboy cops" are just assholes who like to **** shit up for no reason.. half the city is "anarchist," and the other half is militantly leftist- putting officer's heads on chopping blocks and constantly paying out millions for every ****stick that files suit just confirms everything they suspect.

the very fact that Adams hasn't shit-canned Saltzman's retarded ass is enough to have zero confidence in his leadership ability. as if being an open homosexual with a preference for under-aged boys wasn't the first indicator...

http://outlookportland.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/samadams.jpg

i partially grew up in that city... im almost surprised i made it out without brain damage.

not an attack on you, Isaac... i just have bad feelers for that place.

Titleist
06-16-10, 01:42
not an attack on you, Isaac... i just have bad feelers for that place.

That's right, Ben, I'd hate to have to not come to the monthly training events. If I didn't go that'd cut the shooter turn out by 33 percent :D

Todd.K
06-16-10, 15:49
Is the place really that bad.

The general attitude is very anti LE, authority, military. Someone at/near the top (Mayor/Chief/etc) said cops are social workers first, cops second.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/03/second_fatal_portland_police_s.html
Officer Jason Walters responded on his own to a call about a drunken transient harassing people at Washington Park's Hoyt Arboretum Monday afternoon and, three minutes later, shot the man four times. Police say the man emerged from a restroom with blood on his face and advanced toward the officer with a razor-type blade.
The shots shattered a serene day of hiking for visitors to the popular park, and prompted two nights of protests and marches against police violence.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon/Grand-jury-docs-released-in-fatal-Portland-police-shooting-95868694.html
A traffic stop on May 12 near the Lloyd Center left Otis dead and an officer wounded.
Otis was shot and killed after firing on police.
The deadly shooting has resulted in a series of community protests.
"Next week the Police Bureau will discuss the officer-involved shooting and its investigation as well as my goals to restore trust and build back relationships within the community," Chief Mike Reese said.

It's a very liberal place where ANY use of force seems to be "excessive", I have nothing against the Dept or Officers.

A friend of mine that was in Baghdad with me tried to get on, he said during an interview with the civilian oversight people one woman became very agitated when he referenced his military experience. They had asked about experience dealing with different cultures in stressful situations...

Titleist
06-16-10, 16:06
Todd, this is interesting and a bit contrary to the info related to me by folks who joined Portland PD and Oregon State Patrol, where they (one marine and the other Army) were bumped up in the queue and given preferential treatment BECAUSE of their military experience.

So not terribly sure what's going on. Portland can swing a couple of way. Just last month a bunch of business owners and private citizens came together to help keep Portland PD's Mounted Patrol up and running.

Todd.K
06-16-10, 18:30
It was only one of the civilian oversight board that he said got upset and then short/rude with him, not that the whole process was anti vet. Maybe she isn't there any more or maybe it was just a bad day for her, Bush was still in office...

The number of people who go out and protest against the police after an OBVOUSLY justified shoot, followed by the Chief basically apologizing for said good shoot shows the general attitude.

bkb0000
06-16-10, 23:55
Todd, this is interesting and a bit contrary to the info related to me by folks who joined Portland PD and Oregon State Patrol, where they (one marine and the other Army) were bumped up in the queue and given preferential treatment BECAUSE of their military experience.

its a points system, and they're actually required to give extra to vets on the initial screening processes... regular vets get X amount of points, disabled vets get X+Y amount of points. but after the initial screening process, the board still gets their say- the preference points only get you so far.

Abraxas
06-17-10, 09:23
The general attitude is very anti LE, authority, military. Someone at/near the top (Mayor/Chief/etc) said cops are social workers first, cops second.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/03/second_fatal_portland_police_s.html
Officer Jason Walters responded on his own to a call about a drunken transient harassing people at Washington Park's Hoyt Arboretum Monday afternoon and, three minutes later, shot the man four times. Police say the man emerged from a restroom with blood on his face and advanced toward the officer with a razor-type blade.
The shots shattered a serene day of hiking for visitors to the popular park, and prompted two nights of protests and marches against police violence.

http://www.nwcn.com/news/oregon/Grand-jury-docs-released-in-fatal-Portland-police-shooting-95868694.html
A traffic stop on May 12 near the Lloyd Center left Otis dead and an officer wounded.
Otis was shot and killed after firing on police.
The deadly shooting has resulted in a series of community protests.
"Next week the Police Bureau will discuss the officer-involved shooting and its investigation as well as my goals to restore trust and build back relationships within the community," Chief Mike Reese said.

It's a very liberal place where ANY use of force seems to be "excessive", I have nothing against the Dept or Officers.

A friend of mine that was in Baghdad with me tried to get on, he said during an interview with the civilian oversight people one woman became very agitated when he referenced his military experience. They had asked about experience dealing with different cultures in stressful situations...
That is really sad. For what it is worth, if I am at a park and somebody comes at me, covered in blood with some sort of razor, I would shoot the sorry bastard too, lots of times. I have really started to think that people should have to put their lives on the line for something every so often. Then maybe they would start to understand those of us that are Mill/LEO. Just a thought

Moose-Knuckle
06-17-10, 09:59
I haven't read the entire thread but,

The PD I work for had one of the first "trans-gender" officers in it’s' employ. Made all the headlines. :rolleyes:

He/she retired and went to Portland PD; Portland PD has a rep for having one of the largest transgender police forces if not the largest. He/she married a Portland PD Sgt who was also transgender. Not to sure of the back story of the cafe owner but we rarely get to see the whole picture.

In a different era:

One of our former judges who has since passed away cut his teeth as a Texas Ranger down on the border. One day he and a senior Ranger went into a cafe for a cup of coffee. The cafe owners refused to serve the Rangers. So the older Ranger instructed him to get two cups and proceeded to discharge his service pistol two times in the coffee urn and told the rookie to fill up their cups. Everyone in the place was star struck and no one dare uttered a single word. :D Now that's old school.

Abraxas
06-17-10, 10:06
In a different era:

One of our former judges who has since passed away cut his teeth as a Texas Ranger down on the border. One day he and a senior Ranger went into a cafe for a cup of coffee. The cafe owners refused to serve the Rangers. So the older Ranger instructed him to get two cups and proceeded to discharge his service pistol two times in the coffee urn and told the rookie to fill up their cups. Everyone in the place was star struck and no one dare uttered a single word. :D Now that's old school.
When I lived in TX I used to hear all kinds of stories about the Rangers. The one I heard the most had to do with them clearing the beach in Galveston. I never knew whether to believe them or not, but they were highly entertaining stories. What part of TX are you in?

Moose-Knuckle
06-17-10, 10:25
When I lived in TX I used to hear all kinds of stories about the Rangers. The one I heard the most had to do with them clearing the beach in Galveston. I never knew whether to believe them or not, but they were highly entertaining stories. What part of TX are you in?

Yeah the Rangers rep proceeds them for sure, I'm in DFW currently.

SeriousStudent
06-17-10, 19:48
There is an excellent book written about the Texas Rangers, covering the period prior to WWII.

http://www.amazon.com/Texas-Rangers-Century-Frontier-Defense/dp/0292781105/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276822020&sr=8-1

</sidetrack>