PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M2 or M4?

Sparky5019
06-04-10, 09:32
Just thinking about a new shotgun...somewhere over the rainbow when the money fairy returns!

Which do y'all prefer and why?

Which operation system do y'all prefer and why?

Thanks,
Sparky

OnPointFirearms
06-04-10, 14:09
http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/benelli_m4_charging_handle_2.jpg

Go M4, amigo. A little heavier than the M2, but heavy is a good thing sometimes. It's the FIRE!

Sparky5019
06-04-10, 15:09
OK, so I'm a long time shotgun shooter in Cowboy and some mild trap before that. Do you like the M4 piston system over the inertia drive of the M2. Also, why do you like pistol grip over the traditional shotgun stock and would you convert it to put a CTR on it?

Thanks,
Sparky

OnPointFirearms
06-04-10, 15:35
Funny you should mention cowboy action. Out of the shooters at our Thurs night action shotgun match, most of the SASS guys shoot M2s with traditional stocks. The FN SLP autoloaders are also popular, but Benelli takes the cake. I can go either way as far as the stock and grip go. I guess I like the pistol grip on the M4 because that's the way it was designed. Better to not fool with it. The dual piston is just a very robust system. The heft of the M4 translates into light recoil and fast follow up shots. The whole gun just feels like a brick ship house. I like that. The M2 is a fast gun to swing around and really can't be beat. One thing I've learned in the action shotgun game is this: Buy a Benelli. You can't go wrong-- and if you're serious about your shooting, you're going to end up with one anyway. Lots of guys in our group have experimented with the Winchester and Remmy autoloaders. They spend a lot of time and money modifying them to do what the Benelli does out of the box. Sounds like you're an M2, amigo. Give one a shot.
-- Evan

Sparky5019
06-04-10, 15:42
Thanks Evan,

One of my buddies is bringing his M2 to the 3-Gun match tomorrow so I can try it. We'll see! Thanks,

Sparky

joshua79109
06-04-10, 16:32
I see a lot more M2s at matches than I do M4s, but that doesn't mean something is wrong with the M4.

If you haven't looked at the FN SLP MKI it would be worth your time to check it out. You might have already excluded it, but if not take a look.
It's a great shotgun that comes ready to run.

Here's a link where I put up some info about mine.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=52224

Good luck in your decision

Steve
06-04-10, 16:42
the FN SLP would be a home run if it had a magazine disconnect

Sparky5019
06-04-10, 18:35
the FN SLP would be a home run if it had a magazine disconnect

This would imply, to me, a box type mag not a tube. Specifically what type of mag disconnect do you mean?

Thanks,

Sparky

Steve
06-04-10, 18:59
Don't get me wrong i run a lot of pasta makers m-3 and m-1s

Love them great guns

except the issues with the m-1 and hanging items off them

Now the slp has been good to me so far, but if it had a magazine cut off so to speak as the m-1 etc... have to prevent rounds from feeding from the tube for slug select and or specialty ammo it would be even better for my neeeds

b.richards
06-04-10, 19:09
My vote goes for the M4. I ran an M2 for a number of years before getting the M4 and I really love the feel of the M4. The piston system is also supposedly a bit more reliable. Either way, you can't go wrong with a Benelli.

Sparky5019
06-04-10, 19:47
OK Steve, now I get what you were saying! Thanks!

b.Richards,

Do you have an M4? From what I've seen, I'm thinking that the Inertia Drive system that the M2 uses seemslike a better system. I know the M4 has the 2 big pistons that certainly proves more reliable than a standard gas gun but the ID system does not use diverted gas at all. One of the drawback to me of the M4 is the 4 round mag capacity. I'm kind of looking for something around 7 or 8.

Sparky

rajczak_kashka
06-05-10, 09:52
I have a few M4`s as well as a M2 Tactical. Benelli shotguns cannot be beat! The M4 is a tad heavier than M2....yes. I believe that the M2 is more comfortable to shoot and is quicker to target. The M4 rate of fire is higher as it cycles faster than M2. Not that noticeable though untill you put many rounds through them.
Both amazing shotguns......M4 has the "cool" factor though,especially in 14" CQB config!

WEC
06-05-10, 11:31
I own an M4 and was at the range last week when a guy approached me and asked to try it out. He said that he has an M2 and that he was considering getting an M4 but wanted to compare the feel of the two. After about 5 rounds he stated that the M4 felt to have less recoil and was quicker to the target than the M2. Unfortunately I have no experience with the M2 and he didn't bring his M2 with him so a second opinion wasn't available. YMMV of course. Just wanted to share some anecdotal information. :D

WS6
06-06-10, 17:57
OK Steve, now I get what you were saying! Thanks!

b.Richards,

Do you have an M4? From what I've seen, I'm thinking that the Inertia Drive system that the M2 uses seemslike a better system. I know the M4 has the 2 big pistons that certainly proves more reliable than a standard gas gun but the ID system does not use diverted gas at all. One of the drawback to me of the M4 is the 4 round mag capacity. I'm kind of looking for something around 7 or 8.

Sparky

It's just a heat-gun and new mag-tube away from holding 7+1+1.

The M4 seems to do better with really light loads than the M2.

The M2 swings faster, and for 3-gun a 21" vent-rib with some hi-viz sights will be hard to beat. For everything else, M4.

WS6
06-06-10, 17:59
http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/benelli_m4_charging_handle_2.jpg

Go M4, amigo. A little heavier than the M2, but heavy is a good thing sometimes. It's the FIRE!

What is the weight of your bolt-handle?
PM's was 8.5g, OEM is 12.5g, FFT's is 15.99g, GG&G's was rediculously heavy and the newest one on the market aims to be around 10-14g, but numbers are not yet available.

WS6
06-06-10, 18:02
I have a few M4`s as well as a M2 Tactical. Benelli shotguns cannot be beat! The M4 is a tad heavier than M2....yes. I believe that the M2 is more comfortable to shoot and is quicker to target. The M4 rate of fire is higher as it cycles faster than M2. Not that noticeable though untill you put many rounds through them.
Both amazing shotguns......M4 has the "cool" factor though,especially in 14" CQB config!

I have not messed with an M2, but I can out-run my M4 on demand. I don't shoot 3-gun or anything, either. Do you know the cycle-speed of the M4S90?