PDA

View Full Version : Basic sling for basic model AR?

Falkon
06-04-10, 12:43
I've got a DD XVM that is just a base model with the standard low end stock, standard handguard and an A2 front site.

I am looking for a way to sling it for basic carry in the woods. Is it acceptable to run a sling through the stock and around the bbl underneath the front site? I think I've seen this done but was not sure if it could affect accuracy or cuase any damage being wrapped around the bbl.

Any other good ideas on setting up an inexpensive simple sling are also appreciated.

Thanks,

Falkon

Luke_Y
06-04-10, 12:53
You may want to look at the UWL (http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5&prod_id=81) or the Side sling mount (http://dynamicarmament.com/items/ar-15-m-16-mil-spec-parts/sling-mount-colt-front-sling-mount-colt-sling-front-sling-mount-detail.htm)

DDXV
06-04-10, 19:28
I run a DDXV with standard handguards. I have a side sling mount that hooks around the barrel under the front sight and use a QD swivel snapped in below the buffer tube with a Blue Force quick adjust sling. Works great for me.

TehLlama
06-04-10, 19:58
Inexpensive and flexible: BFG Victory version of the VCAS. Works great, my wife loves hers on her lightweight.

Ridge_Runner_5
06-04-10, 21:39
Cant go wrong with the GI sling...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/Shooting/DSC_0046.jpg

markm
06-04-10, 21:42
The Israeli sling does everything for me. It's the only sling I use.

For whatever reason, it gets very little respect.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson101.jpg?t=1275705904

arizonaranchman
06-04-10, 22:17
Any suggestions where to get a well-made version of the standard GI sling?

Thomas M-4
06-04-10, 22:28
Dang markm that sling looks like it is made out of a seat belt.

OP I would look to a vcas or vtac for a sling.

shadow65
06-04-10, 22:28
Regular G.I. springs are easy to come by. I picked up 3 for $2.50 each at a gun show.

Stickman
06-05-10, 00:20

If you plan on only carrying it over your shoulder, the USGI sling is an option. If you plan on doing much else, reevaluate your sling purchase.

JAYTEAM
06-05-10, 00:32
Inexpensive and flexible: BFG Victory version of the VCAS. Works great, my wife loves hers on her lightweight.

+1

BFG 2 point adjustable and a side sling mount is hard to beat.

Jay

Bubba FAL
06-05-10, 02:22
The good old GI Web Sling (Garand/M14 type, not the "silent sling" AKA carry strap) works just fine on an AR. Get the cotton version, not the nylon (too slippery).

Very inexpensive and quite effective. My only complaint is that the lower clip is noisy. Judicious use of tape can quiet things down if you don't mind the loss of aesthetics.

Be advised that if a sling is used properly, i.e., tight enough to be effective, your POI will change if the sling is attached to the rifle in the standard FSB location. That's one major reason for FF handguards.

bigbore40
06-05-10, 08:11
G.I. slings are good to go or you can go for the vickers 2 point sling

bbiggun
06-05-10, 14:01
I have a standard USGI sling that comes with my LMT and it serves me well. It's inexpensive and simple.

Paraclete comes
06-05-10, 14:17

I can make you one, email me and we can make it happen. they are very simple and easy.

Ridge_Runner_5
06-05-10, 19:25
If you plan on only carrying it over your shoulder, the USGI sling is an option. If you plan on doing much else, reevaluate your sling purchase.

GI sling is also good for basic sling'd shooting, like the Hasty...

emfourbinator
06-06-10, 12:52
GI type slings have been doing me well for years, but now I'm moving into the point where I want to
roll my own. Always liked the Colt supplied silent slings as they are about a foot or so longer than the
"normal" GI issue jobs. You can do a lot with a sling, even a simple one, if it's long enough. A little bit
of para cord and you can mount anything to just about anywhere!

Stickman
06-06-10, 16:01
GI sling is also good for basic sling'd shooting, like the Hasty...

Yes, it can obviously be used for tension which can be of aid in shooting. To use it when actually carrying the weapon, it is a joke when compared to other options that are available.

The OP stated he was looking for a sling to use for "basic carry" when in the woods. To me, that means a patrol sling, but I am aware he may have something different in mind.

rdc0000
06-06-10, 17:32
I really like my 2P AOTM Combat Sling. It was affordable and cinches down tight. I have the dangling strap one but for me it does not matter.

Redi-Mag Combat Slings (http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=25)

They have adapters for FSB only, etc.

theblackknight
06-06-10, 17:35
just for commentary, Ive used my MS2 at the KD range, and it can even do the loop sling dance, if needed.

Scotter260
04-20-11, 23:18
Always liked the Colt supplied silent slings as they are about a foot or so longer than the
"normal" GI issue jobs.

Don't mean to hijack a thread but by using everyone's friend, SEARCH, I found this thread pertinent to a question I have so...

I have a VCAS with a UWL on one carbine and one of these with a UWL on my back-up. The only thing this doesn't do is adjust via a slider but in every other aspect does everything I need it to do. SAW has factory Colt silent slings labeled as such for $10 a piece, is anyone aware of a better price for the genuine article somewhere else?

Thank you.

Iraqgunz
04-21-11, 03:06
Here is my best GI sling story. One of our guys had a GI sling on his M4. We had previously issued brand new tactical slings to everyone. Apparently he was too lazy to install it.

They are out doing a boarding and he is climbing the ladder and the sling gives way and the M4 went to the bottom of the Northern Arabian Gulf. Apparently no one was checking the buckles, and it just got loose with all the bouncing around.

There is virtually no way this would have happened with the other sling. All that aside. Stickman makes a good point. They are great for parading around with, but they suck when you need do something more.

Scotter260
04-21-11, 09:27
I find the length of the actual Colt slings allows plenty of room for adjustment while still allowing enough material for one to do this:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-10/1100114/Coltsling.JPG

It seems it'd take some doin' to work that free.

Beat Trash
04-21-11, 11:59
I bought two of the VCAS slings when they were on sale before Christmas.

I only beat myself in the head because I didn't dump my attempts to work with the GI slings a long time ago.

It's kind of like before I bought a RDS. I'd shot irons for so many years that I just didn't think the cost justified any benefit I might have gotten form the RDS. Once I got one and started using it, my only regret was waiting so long to do so.

One of my guns (Colt 6520) doesn't have side sling mounts up front. I bought one of the Blue Force Gear UWL's. Works good for it's intended purpose.