PDA

View Full Version : Gun Shop BS or grain of truth? Titanium Receivers.

ghostman1960
06-04-10, 15:40
I figured this would be the place to get the answer to this question. I was in my local gun shop today and was asking the co owner if they were going to stock the new BCM complete carbines when they come out. Well he went on to say that BCM does not make complete guns, just uppers and lowers.

I didn't feel like arguing with the guy or trying to contradict him so I just started browsing his wares.

While I was looking at his AR rack he told me that the parent company of Bushmaster is coming out with ultra light carbines with the upper and lower receivers made out of a titanium alloy with the uppers fitted with pencil barrels.

He went on to say that they would be lighter than the Carbon 15s that Bushmaster used to make.

I have been doing a lot of reading all over the net since I got back into ARs and not seen any mention of this anywhere.

But a while back he did tell me that Remington would be coming out with a line of 1911s months before I read or heard anything about them on the internet also.

Is it possible there is a grain of truth to this? Is anyone here in the know? Is it even possible to make receivers out of titanium? :confused:

Entropy
06-04-10, 15:51
Why would you need uppers and lowers made out of titanium? Aluminum does fine for that application and by the time your due for a new barrel and bolt assembly, you just replace the whole upper. Titanium is quite a bit more expensive.

Thomas M-4
06-04-10, 15:56
Titanium weights more than aluminum.
http://education.jlab.org/itselemental/ele022.html

ghostman1960
06-04-10, 15:58

Thank you. That answers it for me.

kwrangln
06-04-10, 16:17

But, the stronger material would allow for thinner walls in the recievers. Sure if Ti was used in the same profile as Al it would be heavier, but specifically mold a reciever set for the new material and you could indeed save weight with no loss in strength.

Just a thought from a materials standpoint.

Dos Cylindros
06-04-10, 16:22
But, the stronger material would allow for thinner walls in the recievers. Sure if Ti was used in the same profile as Al it would be heavier, but specifically mold a reciever set for the new material and you could indeed save weight with no loss in strength.

That's a very good point. I certainly would not buy one, because I bet they are going to be $$$$$$$ and they won't do anything for me that my current carbine won't.

orionz06
06-04-10, 17:01

The machining process would probably cost a hell of a lot more though.

Rock-N-Ruin
06-04-10, 17:09
The machining process would probably cost a hell of a lot more though.

Yep, just not cost effective... I'll just get a pencil barrel and call it good..

dhrith
06-04-10, 18:30
Cost and machining standpoint ain't no way in hell i'd see that.