PDA

View Full Version : Novice 1st Impressions: ACR vs. SCAR

110JBP
06-04-10, 19:26
Greetings - this will serve as my first post, but I have been reading the content here for a while. I like the protocol and overall courtesy and professionalism on this site.

I had a great opportunity to finally take my SCAR and ACR to the range today to fire them for the first time, and I thought I would offer my layman's observations.

The caveats - I am a novice rifle shooter; I have much more experience with handguns, so I will not comment much on the accuracy of these rifles, and a lot of my observations are subjective due to this inexperience.

My range visit was for "coarse" sighting in of the Aimpoints mounted on each rifle (getting them on the paper and then into the bull's eye to the best of my abilities). Shooting was from the bench and only out to 40m. I used 55 grain Winchester and Federal XM193 55 grain. My groups on both rifles with Aimpoints were about 2.5" to 3" (perhaps this should be embarrassing, but I've got to start somewhere).

It seems that there are two assessments when dealing with a firearm: perception and performance. Perception is when I hold it and assess its quality of assembly. Performance is when I shoot it, recoil, accuracy (moot for me right now), trigger, reliability, etc. I am sure there are many other factors.

Perception: It is interesting that the SCAR feels almost delicate and toy-like when handling it. I believe this is my perception due to its light weight. The ACR feels hefty and durable, possibly due to its heavier weight. Being a Land Rover enthusiast, I often associate weight with quality, but that also often results in misconception!

The ACR is definitely much more front heavy than the SCAR. I believe that Bushmaster really should offer a light profile barrel for the ACR.

As we have all read, the SCAR comes with additional features not offered on the basic ACR. I paid considerably less for the ACR basic than the SCAR, so I am okay on the price delta and do not feel as if I was ripped off with either.

It is clear, however, that both rifles are very well made and easy to disassemble/reassemble. Bushmaster should do something about that little rubber ring required for the bolt carrier assembly, though. I have not removed the barrels on either rifle.

For aesthetics, a highly subjective area, the ACR is a much nicer looking rifle, but I don't wanna go down like Williams in "Enter the Dragon," either. I call the SCAR "the camel," because of its color and stock hump. It is ugly in a functionally beautiful way - kind of like a Land Rover.

Performance: This is where the SCAR showed its prowess, IMHO.

Recoil impulse on the lightweight SCAR is seemingly non-existent. The ACR seemed to have noticeably more recoil. It was very surprising to me. The SCAR's toy-like feel completely disappeared upon firing the rifle. I have found this with other FN products like my light weight FNP-9. When I first looked at my FNP-45, I thought, "what a cannon." Well, when I picked it up and fired it, it seemed as if it shrunk, and it is now my favorite handgun.

SCAR has the edge over the ACR on trigger pull. It seemed lighter to me with a slightly crisper reset.

For me, the placement of the safety/shoot switch on the SCAR was better than the ACR.

No problems with the reciprocating charging handle on the SCAR. I must be a freakin' wimp, because for the life of me, my trigger/pointer finger could not release the ACR bolt down by the trigger guard. I guess I need to do some of those Bruce Lee finger pushups.

I did not shoot much ammunition at all - only 100 rounds total, but both rifles ran this limited amount with no problem. I switched rifles often and did not heat up barrels or perform "mag dumps" to torture these two new guns.

Final Thoughts: My first impression is that the SCAR is the superior firearm. How they compare and hold together in the long-term is another issue. Perhaps as I train with rifles and become more proficient, my impressions will change.

As of right now, if I could only grab one of these to scoot out the door with the wife and kids and blow out of town due to bad things happening, I would grab the SCAR.

joshua79109
06-04-10, 19:57
Nice review, especially since you have both.

I hope to meet up with a fella here that has an ACR to review along with my SCAR.

Please keep us informed with your findings with both.

110JBP
06-05-10, 12:54
Thanks. I like both rifles a lot. I look forward to getting more experience on both as I learn how to shoot rifles.

One other thing that I forgot to mention was that overall I preferred the iron sights on the SCAR, particularly because of the narrow front sight post. The ACR Magpul front sight seems to be much thicker. On the flip side, the Magpul sights can be deployed really quickly just by lightly smacking them on the top or via the lever on the side.

browningboy84
06-06-10, 03:29
I am not surprised by what I read. If Magpul had built the gun, I feel as if it would have turned out a lot better. When I heard that "Shrubmaster" was gonna be building the gun, I knew it was gonna be mainly hype. I have 2 friends who live out of state that bought ACR's, and now they are selling them.

SpookyPistolero
06-06-10, 12:04
I really wanted to like the ACR, and really don't like the SCAR (just from playing with them both). The SCAR may be one of the ugliest and most ungainly looking rifles I've ever seen. Those thoughts are about as subjective and combat-irrelevant as it gets, but here we are.

Luckily I've got a handsome AR to keep me cheerful.

99HMC4
06-06-10, 12:15
agree with you on the SCAR, however we need to talk about your vehicle selection.... :p:D Mine:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/Hypercomp01/P1030027.jpg

lethal dose
06-06-10, 12:18
Very nice subjective review and very nice first post.

Magsz
06-06-10, 12:54
Alot of people are commenting on how light the recoil impulse is on the scar and ive always got to wonder if that is due to the FSC556 attached to the barrel.

Do you have any prior experience with compensators?

Most people are saying the ACR has a heavy recoil impulse but what are they comparing this to? An AK? An AR? An AR with a comp?

There are alot of factors here and i wish someone would expand on their statements regarding recoil.

I guess im just going to have to find a way to fire the darned ACR myself. :)

TY for the comparative analysis!

99HMC4
06-06-10, 12:59
Alot of people are commenting on how light the recoil impulse is on the scar and ive always got to wonder if that is due to the FSC556 attached to the barrel.

I would also agrue that it is its bore line in regards to its ergonomics. I think the way the rifle is just lined up makes it "feel" like it doesn when firing...

joshua79109
06-06-10, 13:15

Most people are saying the ACR has a heavy recoil impulse but what are they comparing this to? An AK? An AR? An AR with a comp?

There are alot of factors here and i wish someone would expand on their statements regarding recoil.

I guess im just going to have to find a way to fire the darned ACR myself. :)

TY for the comparative analysis!

I've kept up a thread on here about my SCAR and have detailed in that thread that I removed the brake and run a Vortex. The SCAR still has less felt recoil and muzzle jump than my favorite mid-length AR with the same barrel length and Vortex. There is so little recoil to start with in this caliber that it's tough for many folks to care. I see it when running the timer - shot to shot.

Magsz
06-06-10, 13:41
Josh,

Good info man, thank you very much.

YVK
06-06-10, 16:19

Magsz, I've just looked at this again, and yet again haven't been able to find any difference objectively. SCAR in fact feels to be very steady on target, and many commented on easy control on full auto and with SCAR 17. However, I end up getting the same results with equally weighted and comped midlength AR as with SCAR. Most of my drills weren't timed, but shooting 5 rounds strings at 50 yards as fast as I can while maintaining reasonable accuracy yields identical results.
Additionally, I think that SCAR actually recoils a bit stronger. Given that 5.56 recoil is mild to begin with, the difference is very minimal. But, owing to hot weather, I've been shooting in very light clothes during last 2 weeks and, absent dampening effect of gear or heavier layers, I feel fore-aft feedback from SCAR a bit stronger.

wild_wild_wes
06-06-10, 18:17
I wonder how much of this recoil issue is just subjective, percieved due to ergonomics. I would like to see recoil force measured by instruments before I believed to two very similar rifles had different recoil levels.

YVK
06-06-10, 18:29
I wonder how much of this recoil issue is just subjective, percieved due to ergonomics. I would like to see recoil force measured by instruments before I believed to two very similar rifles had different recoil levels.

I think most of it is subjective. As I said, it took me to shoot it in paper-thin T-shirt to arrive to this conclusion - and I am sure that there are people that will come and call it BS.
I wish I knew there was a way to measure it objectively but I don't know if such contraption exists. Trying to put any semblance of science under my conclusions, I can only say that reciprocating mass (bolt carrier and bolt) is considerably heavier in SCAR than AR.
Ultimately, the most objective assessment to me would be running timed drills repetitively and impartially and reporting results without emotional investment to one system vs. another - be it SCAR, ACR or AR.

flanntastic
06-06-10, 22:14
yesterday i took my ACR, SCAR, MSAR, and AR shooting for the day.

The ACR is a dream shooting suppressed its like a airsoft gun in the recoil dept w a can, BUT i as i was shooting a hodgepodge of ammo from the "extras" can, and i had allot that would not run in the S setting, so i ended up shooting in the u setting even with my can. It needs true 5.56 pressure to run in the S setting. Trigger is to gritty and has a weird break. Still feels front heavy and my stock is a little to short. and it does take a manly finger to release the bolt.

SCAR, feels so lite and flickable, i do not have a adapter on it for my can, so i cannot talk about it suppressed. Trigger is stiff but crisp

MSAR, I hate how loud it is on your ear, its just weird going off on the side of your face, guess thats any bullpup though even with trigger work its not as good as the rest. Mag changes suck, and the adj on the MSAR scope are not very crisp

AR, i forgot how nice and familiar a AR is, glad i saved it for last. It felt like a part of me, i did miss the ambi safety, and got tired of huffing gas from the can be blown back at me, BUT if i could only have one it would be hard to give up.

AND......
two of these four had T1s, the MSAR had a MSAR 1.5 optic, and the AR15 had a eotech 512. The eotech just works for me, best bang for the buck out there.

joshua79109
06-07-10, 08:56

I really believe this is the right answer.

I do get quicker times with my SCAR, but I don't doubt for a second that it could change from person to person. I would agree that it is subjective due to ergonomics. It took a while for my times on the SCAR to get better than my times on the AR. I will say that the SCAR recoil impulse does feel different than the AR, now everyone would have to decide what carbine has more or less felt recoil.

Maybe it's just the lack of the boing from the AR buffer/spring that speeds my time up, maybe I'm easily distracted - kidding of course.

99HMC4
06-07-10, 09:20
I think we can all agree that the SCAR seems to be a better weapon than the ACR. True or not? Not saying the ACR is sub pare or crap but rather both are good but one comes out in front.....

Velcro
06-07-10, 09:28
IMO,

The SCAR feels better than the ACR as far as shouldering it...to me. I did not like the ACR's weight for what it is supposed to be...I can stick to my G36 for a plastic rifle, but I did like the positioning of the controls on the ACR...for me, I am split!

Question...who is claiming the ACR now? I am seeing BM advertisements & Remington advertisements...and yes I know that RMGTN owns BM...and they are both Cerebus (sp), but who is going to stake claim on the gun...or both!

Velcro

YVK
06-07-10, 11:22
I think we can all agree that the SCAR seems to be a better weapon than the ACR. True or not? Not saying the ACR is sub pare or crap but rather both are good but one comes out in front.....

I think it is too early to say. I have zero interest in ACR but, in all fairness, there hasn't been enough time to evaluate ACR well enough. SCAR's been out for over a year now, and we really don't have too many of feedback reports in regards to actual performance - whether it is in theater or in formal performance-measured training. How many SCAR owners here took theirs to classes? Most of SCAR reports fall into a category "I took mine to the range again this weekend" - which is just one step better than "I examined one in the shop". ACR has even less of objective reports. We should give it a bit more time, and I am really grateful that people go out and buy both rifles and report results here.

JessR45
06-07-10, 11:25
Great review and thanks very much for your effort ! I've handled both (but not fired) the ACR and SCAR and I agree with your observations on the heft and balance of both rifles. I've been sitting on the fence for a while now, being very happy with my DDM4 and Steyr AUG A3, but funds permitting, I'll spring for the SCAR shortly. Seems like a good evolutionary step worth adding to the hoard. Thanks, Jess

Velcro
06-07-10, 11:27
the big thing I herd about the SCAR was that anything that they attached to the bottom rail was being directly affected by the heat of firing the rifle because it was to close or touching the barrel...

any accessories were almost melting.

Velcro

rl56
06-07-10, 12:22
Having a couple of hundred rounds thru my ACR now, I'm satisfied with my chioce over the SCAR. I like a little heath plus great looks
(basis model) and accurate.....3/4" at 100. Maybe not be for everyone, but works for me. Bullets and beans for the future.;)

110JBP
06-07-10, 20:45
Thanks for the feedback on the review. The recoil is interesting, as I thought the heavier rifle would handle it better. I would love to shoot both rifles with a suppressor!

I also agree that there is a subjective factor, too - possibly based upon shooting experience. You folks out there who really know how to properly hold the rifle may experience very little perceived recoil difference between different platforms.

It would seem that design could also be a partial factor as brought up in a previous post. How far off of bore axis is the recoil impulse? How effective is the recoil buffer system? How much mass is moving on recoil? How much of a difference does a muzzle brake contribute? I would imagine that all of these can make a difference - perhaps it is the balance of these (and other) design factors combined.

wild_wild_wes
06-07-10, 22:46
What is the actual weight difference between SCAR and ACR?

ACR has a Government profile barrel, which would account for some of the difference. That would also make it more front-heavy.

YVK
06-07-10, 23:00
My SCAR weighs exactly 7.5 lbs bare (without optic, sling etc.) with following weight distribution: upper 4 lbs, BCG 1 lbs 6 oz, lower with stock 2 lbs 2 oz.
Comparing to similarly weighted AR (3 lbs 13 oz upper - 11.4 oz bcg - 2 lbs 10 oz lower/stock) , the front balance of SCAR is evident. Also evident is double the moving mass of bcg, as I had mentioned earlier.
Maybe our ACR owners can measure theirs for comparison.

ForTehNguyen
06-08-10, 08:14
ACR has been confirmed to weigh 8.2lbs which is the listed weight. Its front heavy due to most of the metal being in front of the magwell. SCAR has a lightweight profile on the barrel as well. ACR lightweight barrel in 1:7 would be nice.

lowjack
06-08-10, 10:13
IMO the heavier acr was easier to run because of the weight, in compa
rison to the scar. My acr now has a PWS break and its very nice. Recoil is less than the scar.

With that being said the only thing wrong with the scar is the manufacture .

BMWguy206
06-08-10, 10:16
Has anyone carried the ACR for about 8hrs straight in 1 day? I am thinking about buying one for tactical carbine courses but would like to know how it feels or how tired one will get towards mid-day or end of the day.

clynch
06-08-10, 12:38

Care to elaborate?

lowjack
06-08-10, 15:01
Care to elaborate?

Fn isn't releasing parts for them , quote from them "never". Everything breaks and when it does you will have to send it back to the factory .I was at a eag tactical class and yep one broke and had to be sidelined because their are not parts for them. Sure would be nice if you could get an extra BCG hint,hint.

That's whey I bought an ACR and just shoot my bros scar every now and then. 8 do like them

lowjack
06-08-10, 15:06
Has anyone carried the ACR for about 8hrs straight in 1 day? I am thinking about buying one for tactical carbine courses but would like to know how it feels or how tired one will get towards mid-day or end of the day.

I have several times on a OSOE one point sling. Not a problem.

variablebinary
06-08-10, 16:24
IMO the heavier acr was easier to run because of the weight, in compa
rison to the scar. My acr now has a PWS break and its very nice. Recoil is less than the scar.

The ACR is a brick compared to the SCAR.

It might be okay for the bench or gaming, but a combat weapon, which the SCAR is, weighing nearly 9lbs naked is a no go.

M68 + loaded mag + PEQ16 + light and the the ACR would be unbearable.

However, you are right in saying FN is doing less than a bang up job of supporting the SCAR 16S

lowjack
06-08-10, 16:56
The ACR is a brick compared to the SCAR.

It might be okay for the bench or gaming, but a combat weapon, which the SCAR is, weighing nearly 9lbs naked is a no go.

M68 + loaded mag + PEQ16 + light and the the ACR would be unbearable.

However, you are right in saying FN is doing less than a bang up job of supporting the SCAR 16S

Id be intrested to see what it would weigh with a barrell profile like the scar's

variablebinary
06-08-10, 17:00
Id be intrested to see what it would weigh with a barrell profile like the scar's

Agreed.

I am willing to wager it would clock in around 7.3 with a light barrel.

The XCR weights nearly the same as the ACR when it has a heavy barrel. I assume the weight savings would be nearly the same as well.

If I when I get an ACR, it's getting SBR'ed ASAP, so I am not too concerned about weight. The ACR will probably be just under 7lbs with a 10.5" barrel I bet.

Bushmaster has taken some large missteps with the ACR launch, but they are just a few tweaks and corrections away from having a very appealing product that can be competitive.

lowjack
06-08-10, 17:15
Agreed.

I am willing to wager it would clock in around 7.3 with a light barrel.

The XCR weights nearly the same as the ACR when it has a heavy barrel. I assume the weight savings would be nearly the same as well.

If I when I get an ACR, it's getting SBR'ed ASAP, so I am not too concerned about weight. The ACR will probably be just under 7lbs with a 10.5" barrel I bet.

Bushmaster has taken some large missteps with the ACR launch, but they are just a few tweaks and corrections away from having a very appealing product that can be competitive.

I talked to a bushy smith today about just that, sbr and was told that the smith that tried to open the gas ports would curse me to high heaven. He said the barrel is so hard that it would break/dull quite a few bits before you got any where.

variablebinary
06-08-10, 19:09
I talked to a bushy smith today about just that, sbr and was told that the smith that tried to open the gas ports would curse me to high heaven. He said the barrel is so hard that it would break/dull quite a few bits before you got any where.

I was having this very conversation with the guys at Robinson a few months ago. Nitride treated barrels are tough as hell on tooling.

OhThatGuy
06-09-10, 04:53
Good review but they should share the same muzzle device to get the best handle on the real differences in muzzle hop and recoil impulse. The PWS FSC-556 on the SCAR makes a huge difference. I shot a 556 SBR back to back with a SCAR and it seemed jumpy and a little heavier on recoil. I changed to the SCAR's compensator and the SBR was softer and flatter shooting than the SCAR.

lasorsa
02-05-11, 11:18
I own both the scar and acr. Both are awesome guns, too much trash talk about the acr going on, everyone needs to spend some time with it and they will all be believers. I shoot both guns side by side, they are both exciting and different. I think we are lucky to have the ability to own the next generation and future weapons.

I happen to like the acr more than the scar. I would not purchase another scar 16s, I would purchase another acr. In hind site I probably should have bought the 17s instead of the 16s but I needed to compare them for myself.

Check out the Tactical operator Magazine, current issue for a comparison, they chose the acr also. I also red that most socom guys are switching to the 17s as well.

Solidius
02-05-11, 13:23
I have to lean with ACR even with the weight penalty, the LW 1/7in barrels should make about 5 ounce difference when they make it out. The Remmy magnesium lower for the ACR (when and if they are available) will shave another ounce off. Ergonomics IMHO are superior on the ACR, mag changes are a good .5 to full second faster.

A buddy at work is running a SCAR 16s and I like it, just not as well. The stock on the 16s seems to flex when using an aggressive forward grip(achieved by extending the stock all the way out, sense the factory hand guard is carbine length), and occasionally depending on position the charging handle with graze my support arm, causing a malfunction (the new TD CH may fix this).

I had a Battle comp on my ACR for a while and I would say that it is at least on par with the scar 16s + pws break, probably a little bit softer recoiling. I moved the battle comp back to my goto AR, but plan on getting another for my ACR.

To the OP, when using the bolt release, place the center of your index finger tip on the button, and press straight down. You will have plenty of leverage to actuate the bolt release. If you press it at an angle it requires much more effort to actuate

Pics( as this thread lacks sufficient gun porn):
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5419383150_7d6b02ca00_b_d.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5174/5419383160_c9baba2eca_b_d.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5256/5419383170_6b6e6549c7_b_d.jpg

With cloaking turned on:
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5419383184_6352d3652f_b_d.jpg

Tacoma213
02-05-11, 23:33
the big thing I herd about the SCAR was that anything that they attached to the bottom rail was being directly affected by the heat of firing the rifle because it was to close or touching the barrel...

any accessories were almost melting.

Velcro

The bottom rail is attached to the barrel extension (near the chamber) only, and does not contact the rest of the barrel at all. It sits about 1/2 inch or more away from the barrel from the attachment point all the way to where the rail ends.

Heat is no more of a problem than a DD or any other rail on an M4/M16.

lloydkristmas
02-06-11, 00:07
Thanks for the write up.

The SCAR is almost certainly the better gun, though there is nothing really *wrong* with the ACR, even though many on the internet might imply that there is.

I feel the SCAR is more 'advanced' than the ACR is, and is a more viable combat weapon. The ACR isnt bad, it just didnt live up to the hype, and because of that, it will forever remain 'sub-par' in the eyes of a lot of serious critics.

If the ACR was priced at $1400-1500 with a 1/7 barrel, I think it would be getting a lot more praise and attention than it is now.

For now, at least, SCAR wins. Welcome to the site!

Hootiewho
02-06-11, 05:36
The bottom rail is attached to the barrel extension (near the chamber) only, and does not contact the rest of the barrel at all. It sits about 1/2 inch or more away from the barrel from the attachment point all the way to where the rail ends.

Heat is no more of a problem than a DD or any other rail on an M4/M16.

I've run my 16s pretty hard, and have not had anything "melt". It gets warm, but I keep a rail cover on it. What it does do is serve as a heat sink for the chamber area of the barrel, which is a nice plus during heavy firing as it helps to keep the chamber area a little cooler.

Guys, the longer I have the SCAR, the more I am convinced that there is not a single aspect of the rifle that didn't have a purpose during designing. For the 5.56mm, if you even remotely think you might want to SBR it, go for it as it handles like a dream with the 10" barrel.

As far as rearward recoil impulse, I DO believe it is less than most rifles. I'd say the part of the recoil impulse that people say eats Eotecs for breakfast is the chambering or going forward part. To me, this is a good thing as it helps to balance out the recoil and keep the muzzle down. I have the means to actually prove or disprove this using the same type equipment I did in the SCAR vs AR write up, but the time and getting my hands on all the other rifles to check against are what limits me. I have the 16s and damnit if the 17s didn't follow me home just last night. :eek:I fought off the urge to buy the 17s, but I was too weak. With the brake removed on both, I cannot tell any difference in the recoil respectively. They are actually more pleasant to shoot with the brake off for me. The 17 is the softest shooting .308 I have ever shot, period.

Here is the thing, yes the SCAR and the ACR are both piston rifles, but in truth the SCAR is about as similar to the ACR as it is the AR. Let's not forget the AR is actually a piston rifle, it's just the piston is in the BCG and not on the barrel. To sit down and compare the operating system of the SCAR toe to toe with the ACR is apples to oranges.

The SCAR has been tested, proven, and is backed by one of the world's oldest and largest military firearms makers. Luckily, Uncle Sugar and FN were the Beta testers for me. Just looking at the ACR model that is obtainable, it is made by Bushmaster, with the buying public as the Beta testers. I am sure the design will mature and get better. I personally have nothing against the ACR as the idea is a great one, but for ME the SCAR is the better choice.

Tacoma213
02-06-11, 19:00
I fought off the urge to buy the 17s, but I was too weak. With the brake removed on both, I cannot tell any difference in the recoil respectively. They are actually more pleasant to shoot with the brake off for me. The 17 is the softest shooting .308 I have ever shot, period.

I was thinking of replacing the PWS brakes on my 17's (yes, two...don't tell my wife) with the Armalite AR10 bird cages until I settle on a suppressor in 308. I have not shot mine yet, but did the PWS change the recoil impulse in any positive way?

I have shot the ACR's and have decided they are not for me. There is nothing really wrong with it, but the pedigree on the FN SCAR is too compelling to overcome the BM ACR. If Remington decided to come out with its version, I might take another look. Until then, it's the SCAR for me!

lloydkristmas
02-06-11, 21:39
I'm seeing posts about FN's refusal to sell parts for the SCAR....Is this a SCAR-specific decision? I dont have a SCAR but I have an FS2000, and parts, while expensive, are easily obtained. In fact, the customer service guy at FN even sent me a couple parts free of charge. They werent even to replace broken stuff, just extra parts to have on hand.

If FN is refusing to support civilian SCARs, then thats a damn shame, because in my experience, they have provided excellent support for their other products.

variablebinary
02-07-11, 01:57
At this point both FN and Bushmaster suck when it comes to spare parts, spare barrels, SBR barrels, and multicaliber kits.

I was expecting more from Bushmaster at SHOT, and I got exactly what I expected from FN at SHOT; Zero

Now we have HK in the game. I am eager to see what they have to offer in terms of uppers and barrel configurations. Probably the same ass end support as FN and Bushy

The excuses are bullshit too. Colt cranks out a ton of M4's daily and you can still get a variety of configs from them.

Hootiewho
02-07-11, 06:13
In a perfect world, they would introduce the parts before they did the rifle, but the world's not perfect. I am with you, as I would love to have a spare bolt/extractor...but there are some parts available. It is still very new to the civie market, and let's face it...with ANY Mfg Govt contracts come first. The HK416 was out for several years before parts were available. People horse-laughed guys for buying $3k+ uppers with no spare parts. Now you can get whatever you need at places like HKparts.

How long was the M16/AR15 out before an average man could buy parts? A long time. As much as I like my Colt SBRs, if Bravo had been up and running when I bought, I would not have gotten Colts, and in truth if it weren't for SAW and Brownells, if your Colt broke it would probably make the trip back to the factory.

I've pestered the guys at FN for info in doing that SCAR write up, they've all been exceptionally pleasant to deal with. I live less than 2 hrs from the Irmo plant if I were ever in a "pinch". I have no doubt that eventually most if not all parts will be available. If all the folks who complain about the parts situation would send Grant $300/each and tell him to order bolts from FN, I'll bet Grant would have FN SCAR bolts in short order.Money talks, it's as simple as that. If Grant did put the money up to order 50 bolts, how many do you think he would actually sell right now? Very few, and that's the problem, cause most shooters don't buy until theirs breaks and all these dealers and FN know that.

At this point both FN and Bushmaster suck when it comes to spare parts, spare barrels, SBR barrels, and multicaliber kits.

I was expecting more from Bushmaster at SHOT, and I got exactly what I expected from FN at SHOT; Zero

Now we have HK in the game. I am eager to see what they have to offer in terms of uppers and barrel configurations. Probably the same ass end support as FN and Bushy

The excuses are bullshit too. Colt cranks out a ton of M4's daily and you can still get a variety of configs from them.