PDA

View Full Version : AR build questions

shogun
06-04-10, 23:10
Hi,

I'm in the process of building my 1st AR and I have some questions for you guys. First of, I am not in the US and usual "top tier" parts are scarce and quite expensive here. So, getting whole upper recievers made by BCM, LMT and the such are quite rare here. The good thing in my case is that we do not have barrel length and full auto restrictions.

Now, since this is my first rifle, I am planning on a simple setup- 14.5 carbine length gas system, probably no free floats etc... I already have a complete lower but need some advice on the upper assembly.

I have read some not so good things on bushmaster and DPMS fully built rifles on the internet, primarily on the BCG of the bush. However, these brands are the only ones which are regularly avaialble here. Now, If I build a rifle with lets say a CMT a3 upper, BCM bcg and bushmaster barrel, would you think this would be a better option than to buy a complete bush upper?

Also, would putting an H or H2 buffer be necessary? or should I stick to the carbine buffer?

thanks

C-grunt
06-05-10, 02:30
If you dont mind a 1in9 twist rate I dont see why a Bushy barrel wont work for you. My work rifle is a Bushamster and with our duty Federal Tactical 55grn rounds, its pretty damn accurate.

I would say run a H buffer to slow down extraction and help push the BCG home on return. But wait until the experts chime in before you make a decision.

Iraqgunz
06-05-10, 03:27
Can you avoid avoid the Bushamster barrel? If you are getting a BCM bolt, I would think that getting a barrel shouldn't be hard.

I just finished building my wifes' lightweight carbine today and I believe that it cost less than 825.00. It has a 1/7 BCM barrel, BCM auto carrier and an LMT bolt. Vltor modstock, Magpul MOE handguard and an Ergo grip.

The barrel and bolt (IMHO) are the most important. Everything else can be worked around.

cebuboy
06-05-10, 04:18
Hi,

I'm in the process of building my 1st AR and I have some questions for you guys. First of, I am not in the US and usual "top tier" parts are scarce and quite expensive here. So, getting whole upper recievers made by BCM, LMT and the such are quite rare here. The good thing in my case is that we do not have barrel length and full auto restrictions.

Where I'm in, quality parts for the AR are few and far in between, not to mention the ridiculous prices they command.

Now, since this is my first rifle, I am planning on a simple setup- 14.5 carbine length gas system, probably no free floats etc... I already have a complete lower but need some advice on the upper assembly.

I started building my carbine the same way as you. I used a Bushmaster 14.5" 1/7 govt profile M4 bbl, not what I wanted but is the only thing available at the time, a used Colt bcg and a CMT flat top upper with ramps.

I have read some not so good things on bushmaster and DPMS fully built rifles on the internet, primarily on the BCG of the bush. However, these brands are the only ones which are regularly avaialble here. Now, If I build a rifle with lets say a CMT a3 upper, BCM bcg and bushmaster barrel, would you think this would be a better option than to buy a complete bush upper?

Sad to say, people here in my place still consider Bushmaster as a top tier brand and hence more popular here. Regarding the cost, it depends on the prices of the parts and the whole upper. I like to tinker so I built mine myself. The bushie bbl I got is a 1/7 and have a gas port that measures around 1.6mm. Works reliably so far shooting Lake City, WCC, RPA and BMP M193 and crappy reloads too. If you happen to come across a BCM upper assembly, get it, you won't regret it.

Also, would putting an H or H2 buffer be necessary? or should I stick to the carbine buffer?

thanks

I tried that setup using carbine up to H2, works with every one of them, I stuck with the H, spits a neat pile of brass around my 3 o'clock, which I read around here is the ideal ejection area.

shogun
06-05-10, 05:50
@cgrunt- thanks for the input. I'm probably going to use 55gr rounds so I guess the 1/9th of the bush would be ok

@Ingragunz- how would I say this properly lol. But where I am from, I'm guessing that BCM, LMT bcgs come in the country through "creative" means. Anyway, barrels are bigger and much are much hotter items so the good ones aren't usually available and if they do become available, the price they fetch is usually pretty high (1k$+) .

@ cebuboy- I think we are from the same country haha. Bushmaster barrels and the korean ones are the only barrel brands I can openly find here. Overall, are you satisfied with he bush? Would you recommend waiting out?

cebuboy
06-05-10, 21:39
@ cebuboy- I think we are from the same country haha. Bushmaster barrels and the korean ones are the only barrel brands I can openly find here. Overall, are you satisfied with he bush? Would you recommend waiting out?

Bushie barrels while not the best are generally ok, they are chrome lined and are available in 1/7 twist. As for barreled uppers, the Bushie in my neck of the woods is priced about the same as a BCM so it's a no brainer. In my case, it was the only thing available at the time so I got it as a stop-gap solution.

With regards to satisfaction, I can say that for the less than 1k rounds of various ammo fired, so far so good, even with ammo that pops primers in others rifles. I just replaced the front sight post with a taller one as it did not come with an F marked front sight base to properly zero with a back up sight.

shogun
06-05-10, 23:44
Bushie barrels while not the best are generally ok, they are chrome lined and are available in 1/7 twist. As for barreled uppers, the Bushie in my neck of the woods is priced about the same as a BCM so it's a no brainer. In my case, it was the only thing available at the time so I got it as a stop-gap solution.

With regards to satisfaction, I can say that for the less than 1k rounds of various ammo fired, so far so good, even with ammo that pops primers in others rifles. I just replaced the front sight post with a taller one as it did not come with an F marked front sight base to properly zero with a back up sight.

thanks! I'll just probably wait for another barrel then. Hopefully someting pops up soon