05-24-07, 16:02
How come nobody's talking about this?

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1011

http://www.defensereview.com/stories/magpul/Magpul%20PDR_5.jpg

Bulldog1967
05-24-07, 16:12
Looks cool to me.

How does it do under a trucks tires? :D

Can't wait to see it beyond the prototype stage.

NickB
05-24-07, 16:58
How does it do under a trucks tires? :D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Now THAT was funny...

Username
05-24-07, 20:46
I'm no expert.
Here is a thought that seems to be constantly overlooked by developers.

To insure acceptance of a Bullpup design that will be used in combative environments, the weapon must allow for use in left and right hand barricade firing positions. Similarly it must be constantly deployable to strong and weak shoulder/side operator firing stances.
Armorer/operator replacement of the bolt to eject to a preferred port side is not acceptable. (I did not see any indication of this in DR article, I'm simply leading into the AUG comparison.)
The AUG is an excellent rifle as a comparison regarding bullpups. Balance is amazing. Trigger is learnable, but often a complaint. The ejection issue is not acceptable to most testers though, which is why I believe it's not more widely purchased by organized entities.

If the brass ejection is not conrolled to exit the port in a safe manner and not interrupt the operation of the weapon I cannot see any serious acceptance of it's use as a combative weapon.

rubberneck
05-24-07, 21:38
Do the cracks in the upper come standard or is that only for the high speed low drag folks?;)

Seriously though, I'd bet that isn't that much fun to have the muzzle of a 5.56 10 inches from your face.

SuicideHz
05-24-07, 22:37
Do the cracks in the upper come standard or is that only for the high speed low drag folks?;)

Seriously though, I'd bet that isn't that much fun to have the muzzle of a 5.56 10 inches from your face.

I believe that comp throws ALL blast forward. None goes out to the sides where it can blow atmosphere back towards your face.

rubberneck
05-25-07, 08:02
Well that's a first. I have never heard of a comp that directs gases forward instead of up and out. If it does direct the gas out from the shooter wouldn't increase recoil?

Kisara
05-25-07, 17:04
Looks like the VERY OLD Levang Linear Compensator.

SuicideHz
05-25-07, 17:30
It IS a Levang. It's mentioned in the article.

We know it doesn't direct gases up or anywhere but forward or else it would probably melt the inside of that housing.
It doesn't even look like any of that comp is sticking out of the gun...

DrDrake
05-29-07, 14:11
The ejection of spent brass is a new and truly unique system on this weapon. The details I can provide are only minimal at this point. That said, ejection location is controlled by the weapon operator, either left or right side by clicking a flapper to one side or the other. The PDR is truly an ambi weapon in this manor.

As far as muzzle blast; there will indeed be one hellava flame coming out of the above pic. We intend to cure this issue with a combo comp, moderator, suppressor.

You guys are going to have to bear with Magpul on this weapon. Details are going to be vague for awhile as we're keeping this one on the down low.

I'm no expert.
Here is a thought that seems to be constantly overlooked by developers.

To insure acceptance of a Bullpup design that will be used in combative environments, the weapon must allow for use in left and right hand barricade firing positions. Similarly it must be constantly deployable to strong and weak shoulder/side operator firing stances.
Armorer/operator replacement of the bolt to eject to a preferred port side is not acceptable. (I did not see any indication of this in DR article, I'm simply leading into the AUG comparison.)
The AUG is an excellent rifle as a comparison regarding bullpups. Balance is amazing. Trigger is learnable, but often a complaint. The ejection issue is not acceptable to most testers though, which is why I believe it's not more widely purchased by organized entities.

If the brass ejection is not conrolled to exit the port in a safe manner and not interrupt the operation of the weapon I cannot see any serious acceptance of it's use as a combative weapon.

olds442tyguy
05-29-07, 15:19
Back around SHOT it was said Magpul had another rifle to show, but didn't due to it being damaged in shipping. My guess is that this is that exact rifle, and those pics were likely the ones taken at SHOT 2007.

For Magpul, is this rifle going to be getting pushed pretty hard? IE; will we see faster devleopment of this over the Masada?

C4IGrant
05-29-07, 17:56
Looks fantastic and as long as it is gas piston and reliable, this would be an excellent CQB weapon.

Let me know when your taking dealer orders! :D

C4

Jay Cunningham
05-29-07, 18:43
12.5" polygonal rifling w/ 77gr. ammo should be highly effective in this compact package. Put an Aimpoint Micro T-1 on there, MagPul.

Patrick Henry
11-24-08, 08:29
Well that's a first. I have never heard of a comp that directs gases forward instead of up and out. If it does direct the gas out from the shooter wouldn't increase recoil?

The Noveske Pig projects the blast forward, as well. ;)

olds442tyguy
11-24-08, 09:47
The Noveske Pig projects the blast forward, as well. ;)
I think the combo muzzle device he was talking about is that AAC thing. It's between the size of a suppressor and a KX3. I haven't seen info on it anywhere, but pictures are around.

http://www.aacblog.com/wp-content/uploads/acrsbrgs5-600x404.jpg

It looks like the front has a removable cone like the KX3, so I'm assuming maybe it has a couple baffles behind it?

Army Chief
11-24-08, 10:11
Whoa! Talk about a thread resurrection ...

... on the other hand, this was/is one very SPIFCON 5 concept.

Why is it that with each passing month I feel more and more depressed that I'm not working for Team Magpul? ;)

Chief

Dave L.
11-24-08, 14:37
Whoa! Talk about a thread resurrection ...

... on the other hand, this was/is one very SPIFCON 5 concept.

Why is it that with each passing month I feel more and more depressed that I'm not working for Team Magpul? ;)

Chief

Yes,
I'm about to start applying over and over again. First line of Resume.

"Will Work for FREE, Makes Coffee better than Juan Veldez".

LonghunterCO
11-24-08, 19:47
I think the combo muzzle device he was talking about is that AAC thing. It's between the size of a suppressor and a KX3. I haven't seen info on it anywhere, but pictures are around.

http://www.aacblog.com/wp-content/uploads/acrsbrgs5-600x404.jpg
It looks like the front has a removable cone like the KX3, so I'm assuming maybe it has a couple baffles behind it?

OOOhhhh Ahhhhhh. Very cool.:D