PDA

View Full Version : Training Questions

transition2secondary
06-05-10, 11:13
Guys, I wanted to get some opinions before heading off to my first carbine class.

Spares: do you always bring a spare rifle and handgun?

Use: do you swap out your rifles during the class? Meaning, do you take the opportunity to train on your different platforms or do you run the same gun during the entire course?

Parts: better to just bring spare parts instead (BCGs, etc.)?

I am planning on taking two rifles (with 10 Pmags) and two handguns (with 6 mags). Too much gear?

Thanks.

What is your normal compliment of equipment for a 5 day class?

Aray
06-05-10, 11:26
Definitely not too much gear IMHO, unless you are flying or riding a scooter. I bring more magazines and have most of them loaded prior to arrival, some aren't so I don't have to unload mags to set them up for ammo specific drills. I bring more junk than that to a 2 day class.

Don't forget the softer equipment, lots of lube, bug spray, sunscreen, band aids, and med kit if you can use it.

Gutshot John
06-05-10, 11:34
Not too much at all.

I bring spare guns but I try to stick with one throughout the class unless there is a problem.

Like Aray said don't forget sunscreen or bug spray.

NCPatrolAR
06-05-10, 11:39
Guys, I wanted to get some opinions before heading off to my first carbine class.

Spares: do you always bring a spare rifle and handgun?

it's always good to have a spare gun to fall back on in case your primary goes down hard and needs serious repair.

Use: do you swap out your rifles during the class? Meaning, do you take the opportunity to train on your different platforms or do you run the same gun during the entire course?

I recommend using the same gun throughout the class. This is especially true if you are still at the beginer level of training.

Parts: better to just bring spare parts instead (BCGs, etc.)?

it's good to have simple parts on hand. I always have a toolkit and parts with me when I'm at a class. Just remember, parts don't resolve all issues hence the need for a spare gun

I am planning on taking two rifles (with 10 Pmags) and two handguns (with 6 mags). Too much gear?

Thanks.

What is your normal compliment of equipment for a 5 day class?

what class are you taking? Loadouts are going to vary based on skill level, material being taught, who is teaching, your occupation, etc.

transition2secondary
06-05-10, 12:20
I'm taking the 5 day Carbine Operator course given by U.S. Training Center (...it will always be Blackwater to me). I'm looking forward to the training on this weapon platform; all of my formal training has been with handguns (with DHS). I have been around AR-type rifles for years on my own (and watched the obligatory Magpul DVDs) but that's the extent of real-word training on the M4 for me. I'm going into this training like a sponge and want to get the absolute most I can out of the experience.

I have my own thoughts on the questions I asked but wanted to get other's opinions; from guys who have done it before. I'm headed out tomorrow and as I was doing my final equipment check, I figured I'd throw some questions out to the group. Love the forum and appreciate the responses.

Primary - Noveske N4 Recce
Secondary - LaRue Stealth upper/lower
set-ups very similar on both rifles; same triggers, EOTech, furniture etc.

Primary - Smith & Wesson M&P 9
Secondary - Smith & Wesson M&P 45

NCPatrolAR
06-05-10, 12:32
That's a great course to go through. I went through it back in 03-04.

ST911
06-05-10, 18:29
I bring spare guns and a full armorers kit. I also bring a camera to snap pictures of interesting or jacked up things I see. I don't typically switch out guns or accessories unless I'm working up something.