PDA

View Full Version : Magpul M.O.E. handguards.

Pumpkinheaver
06-05-10, 12:08
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the Magpul M.O.E. handguards? I put them on my carbine and just can't seem to get used to them. they are so different from "Standard" handguards.

Belmont31R
06-05-10, 12:20
I didn't particularly care for the feel of them either. Prefer original CAR hand guards if I have to use plastic...

SpookyPistolero
06-05-10, 12:36
What about the feel didn't you guys like? Shape, texture? I've got some midlength MOE guards backordered from Midway, but I've played with a carbine length set in a store and liked the feel.

It seems to me the main goal is to get a drop in replacement for OEM handgaurds that is inexpensive and will allow addition of some basic accessories (light, grip). I am not at all satisfied with the screw-on rail addition I purchased for my OEM handguards.

Mac5.56
06-05-10, 13:42
I don't know if I am lucky to have not had much experience with AR-15s before the last year and a half, and thus my opinion is not rooted in muscle memory or the past, but I love my MOE hand guard.

I grew up shooting high powered rifles, with no experience with assault rifles until I purchased my AR in the summer of 2008. I was never happy with the standard CAR guard, it felt to bulky for me (width wise). The MOE's slimmer profile feels more comfortable for me, and reminds me more of the guns I have more experience with.

There is also the benefit of it being designed to accept accessories and screw on rail pieces. I know I am going to get some haters when I say this, but the traditional 4 railed forearms have always seemed transitional and over engineered from a civilians perspective. How many things am I going to want to mount on my gun? A fore grip (just got the new MVG which I love ((thanks Grant))), and a light. I wont be adding an m209, a laser designator or the like, so I never understood the need for a quad rail.

When the MOE came out I saw the possibilities, I decided to try it, and as a result I am very happy with what it offers me. An added bonus for a new AR owner was that the MVG is affordable as well, which allowed me to save money for ammo, and still get a VFG to see if I liked the way it handled. The combination seems robust enough to withstand abuse, but cheap enough to be considered entry level for people that want to take the M4 seriously without breaking the bank on accessories.

Zeus
06-05-10, 16:49
Like the MOEs so much, I've pretty much cut down on buying rails. No need. My 11.5" SBR is setup with the MOE handgaurd and MVG for a hand stop... LOVE IT! One of my other carbines is a 14.5" with no grip and like the MOE on it too. Also, they are real sturdy as far as mounting. I'm a 6' 250lb gorilla and they are solid. I torque them pretty good with the vert grip/hand stop and all is well.

scottd907
06-05-10, 17:13
i think any non-free floating hand guard is going to feel cheaply made. Or wrong in the sense that everything else on the rifle is pretty solid. The stock m4 hand guards on my SW mp15 were pretty solid, almost no wiggle or play. The MOE hand guard i have on my Noveske has a little bit more play and wobble compared to the SW.

I dont mind the feel or grip on either hand guard styles. But i do like the fact magpul has made a VFG that attaches without the rails and also allows the use of rails as needed.

Stickman
06-05-10, 17:19
Not they are out yet, but I love the feel of the mid and rifle length MOE handguards. They feel better to me than the carbine length versions, though part of that is probably due to hand positioning.

sammage
06-05-10, 19:22
Not they are out yet, but I love the feel of the mid and rifle length MOE handguards. They feel better to me than the carbine length versions, though part of that is probably due to hand positioning.

You big tease, my midlength build is waiting for these. Really liked them on my carbine, but with the extra real estate, bet they are even more comfortable.

Jake Bauer
06-05-10, 21:30
love mine..

Bubba FAL
06-05-10, 21:36
My "little" 5.56AR has MOE handguards. It definitely changes the feel (and appearance). I like 'em.

Considering a set for my "little" 6.8 when they're available for middies.

LOKNLOD
06-05-10, 21:41

I really really really really really really want a set of rifle handguards...heck I've got a concept for a build designed around them.

Belmont31R
06-05-10, 22:14
What about the feel didn't you guys like? Shape, texture? I've got some midlength MOE guards backordered from Midway, but I've played with a carbine length set in a store and liked the feel.

It seems to me the main goal is to get a drop in replacement for OEM handgaurds that is inexpensive and will allow addition of some basic accessories (light, grip). I am not at all satisfied with the screw-on rail addition I purchased for my OEM handguards.

I didn't care for the shape, and thus the feel of them.

Only one of my AR's has plastic hand guards.

And rails are not just for hanging crap off of. They allow better air circulation over the barrel, act as a heat sink off the chamber area to draw heat away, and you can get a longer surface over the barrel than standard hand guards. With carbine length hand guards I simply can't get my weak hand far enough forward to feel comfortable. With a rail I can still utilize a carbine length gas system with shorter barrels, and have enough room to put my hand further forward.

Stickman
06-05-10, 22:43
I've got a concept for a build designed around them.

That makes two of us.... :D

Pumpkinheaver
06-06-10, 01:42
Not concerned with them being loose, mine are very tight. I have added mid length Magpul rails on both sides. I think it is just a case of needing more time with the rifle that has them on it.

ucrt
06-06-10, 09:20
Does anyone think mounting a short piece of rail on the left-side slot nearest the receiver and attaching a rail mounted QD Sling Adapter to that rail, is a good idea?

Is the MOE Handguard strong enough to withstand a pull from the angles that a sling would be pulling?

If the MOE is strong enough, I'd like to do this with a Mid-Length MOE.

Thanks

SeriousStudent
06-06-10, 09:43
Does anyone think mounting a short piece of rail on the left-side slot nearest the receiver and attaching a rail mounted QD Sling Adapter to that rail, is a good idea?

Yep, done it on three carbines.

Is the MOE Handguard strong enough to withstand a pull from the angles that a sling would be pulling?

Yes, it seems to be for me.

If the MOE is strong enough, I'd like to do this with a Mid-Length MOE.

Mindreader. Get out of my head. :D

Thanks

Actually, what I ended up switching to was a Magpul ACS QD mounting cup, and it's even smaller and lighter. Just bolted it on with a spare bolt and washer from Home Depot.

jmp45
06-06-10, 10:20

There's no issues with this setup.. I have 2 sets of moes. The other lower guard is getting a AFG.

http://www.hamptonplace.com/_remote/pics/swmpmoe2.jpg

wild_wild_wes
06-06-10, 21:08
I've got some midlength MOE guards backordered from Midway,

Date expected in stock: 6/7/2010

:D

Jake Bauer
06-07-10, 00:04
There's no issues with this setup.. I have 2 sets of moes. The other lower guard is getting a AFG.

http://www.hamptonplace.com/_remote/pics/swmpmoe2.jpg

Jmp!! Thanks for the pic of your DD swivel mount. I'm looking at getting one put on my MOE hand guard. Question, which rail size is that? THe 5 slot?

Zeus
06-07-10, 05:53
Since no one's posted a full picture, and I just finished a build (posted in the SBR thread)...

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3279.jpg

I really like the feel both with and without the vert grip.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3268.jpg

jmp45
06-07-10, 08:42
Jmp!! Thanks for the pic of your DD swivel mount. I'm looking at getting one put on my MOE hand guard. Question, which rail size is that? THe 5 slot?

Jake, it's a 5 slot. Can't remember where I got it. I think it's Ergo. The bottom is MI. I really like the DD swivel, the limited rotation was a great idea.

Nice lookin SBR Zeus.. I've got the DD buis also, really like those sights.

Zeus
06-07-10, 21:57
Thanks, it's been a long time since I've been excited about a tool (weapon), but this little baby runs/feels REAL nice. Part of that is due to the MOE gear. Personally, it just feels good. I'm not a small man at 6' & 250 lbs. Got a bit of a paw and wonder if it's smaller people (hands) that don't like the MOE foregrip. ABSOLUTELY no offense to the OP or anyone else. If gear does not "feel" right after a little familarization, I say dump it and try something else. This stuff is just the cat's ass for me.

wild_wild_wes
06-07-10, 22:48
Date expected in stock: 6/7/2010

:D

Bastards! Now its

Date expected in stock: 6/19/2010

opmike
06-08-10, 03:42
Bastards! Now its

Date expected in stock: 6/19/2010

Ignore Midway's dates. They've been bumping the "date expected in stock" for months now.

Bobert0989
06-08-10, 03:54
Thanks, it's been a long time since I've been excited about a tool (weapon), but this little baby runs/feels REAL nice. Part of that is due to the MOE gear. Personally, it just feels good. I'm not a small man at 6' & 250 lbs. Got a bit of a paw and wonder if it's smaller people (hands) that don't like the MOE foregrip. ABSOLUTELY no offense to the OP or anyone else. If gear does not "feel" right after a little familarization, I say dump it and try something else. This stuff is just the cat's ass for me.

I really like the look of that setup, but I was picturing mine with the ACS as well. I think it would kinda "finalize" the look of the rifle, if you didn't care about changing up your stock setup.

Wish I could get a set of Rifle Lengths for the 20" project, they'd look nice with the PRS... and no real need for accessories, just a bi-pod mount underneath, perhaps :)

sjohnny
06-08-10, 08:59
I just finished putting together my first AR. I used the MOE handguards so that I'd have the option of putting rails in a couple of spots without spending the money on FF rails. I also really like the way they look. I haven't put many rounds through it yet but I've been playing with it a lot and I'm very pleased with the way they feel. I've only got one piece of rail screwed onto it at this point that will eventually have a light stuck on to it. I don't know if I'll be adding anything else to it but it's nice to have the option.

cbyrd556
06-08-10, 10:09
I have only had mine on for the last 4 times to the range and love em. No problems with "looseness" at all, they went on tight and have stayed that way after 800 rounds. For the price they can't be beat IMO.

HES
06-08-10, 10:32
I got mine for Christmas and havent had a problem with the fit or feel at all. In fact I have been quite happy with them

chg380
06-08-10, 10:37
I like mine as well

edmorseiii
06-08-10, 10:42
I really like the feel both with and without the vert grip.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3268.jpg

How does that vert grip mount? Do you need to take off the bottom of the guard?

ForTehNguyen
06-08-10, 10:48
http://store.magpul.com/product/66/61

edmorseiii
06-08-10, 11:21
http://store.magpul.com/product/66/61

Thanks.

Mac5.56
06-08-10, 12:11

Yea man, I'm a bigger guy too and so I wonder if that has something to do with me liking the MOE or not...???

I can tell you that I have always felt really cramped with my 16in m4rgery. Kind of like trying to squeeze into a small car or something... :) The MOE purchases allowed me to stop using a magwell grip while standing which has freed up my movement, and allowed me to stretch out a bit. Not saying it was the MOE gear, but, feeling comfortable has also improved my accuracy while shooting standing.

All and all, I would say that given the price if in-experienced/new m4 owners are wondering if the MOE will work for them, that they really have nothing to loose by buying them and trying them out!!!

woodandsteel
06-08-10, 12:48
I like mine. Although, I do notice that they get a little warm. But not to the point of getting uncomfortable.

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo187/woodandsteel/IMG_2191JPG.jpg

Pumpkinheaver
06-08-10, 19:48

I'm 6'3" and so I'm not a little guy myself!!! I think I just need more trigger time with them on the rifle.

Zeus
06-09-10, 01:20
I'm 6'3" and so I'm not a little guy myself!!! I think I just need more trigger time with them on the rifle.

Maybe it was the fact that I don't like the standard handgaurd and never did. The MOEs just felt right from the get go to ME. Guess it's a very subjective thing. Just like the grips on fire controls. I H-A-T-E finger grooves on either my primary OR secondary weapons. However, others love them.

As you can see from the side photo, my hands are longer than the fore grip itself. That's all I was inferring with my statement. Most my co-workers have smaller mitts to work with.