PDA

View Full Version : New Troy LP Gas Block

Sambo526
06-05-10, 16:26
I am getting ready to install a new Troy LPGB on my rifle. I've read lots of information on this forum stating that the rifle barrel needs to be dimpled in order to accept a non-pinned LPGB. If anyone has any experience with this specific part, please help. I know the Troy LPGB has set screws on the bottom that secure it to the barrel. I have searched and searched but i've been unable to locate any manufacturer's instructions on this part. Is it absolutely necessary to dimple the barrel? I've also read that other LPGB use some sort of sealant in combination with the set screws to secure it to the barrel. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

patrolman
06-05-10, 16:56
Here:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BRDE-Fixture-for-Dimpling-Barrels-p/brdejig1.htm

and here:

http://brdengineering.com/Dimple_Jig_Instructions.php

Sambo526
06-09-10, 14:23
Is it absolutely necessary to dimple the barrel? Troy tech's advised me that it was not necessary to dimple the barrel with their lo-pro gas block. This is a duty weapon. I just want to be sure so the thing doesn't fail when I actually need it.

bp7178
06-09-10, 16:33
If Troy told you no, that is what I would go with.

With the AR platform, you will find so much information much of it conflicts. From the manufacturer is about as good as it gets.

I use the Troy low-profile block on a Daniel Defense CHF 16" barrel. I didn't dimple it. I set the screws with a bit of locktite, and will center punch them to stake them in, like a gas key on a bolt carrier. As soon as I can get a good center punch anyway.

The Troy block fits very snugly on my barrel. I actually had to apply a very light coat of oil to get it to slide down. I wouldn't worry about any sealant. Again, listen to what the Troy people tell you if you are worried about it.

ROGOPGEAR
06-10-10, 16:14
No you don't necessarily need the dimple, before reading too many threads I assembled an upper with a VLTOR LPGB with set screws on a barrel without dimples. It went for 1500rds of .223 and 2000rds of .22 without having any problems. BUT, the arguments I hear about having the dimple, or pinning the gas block seemed legitimate so on my next build I got a DD CHF barrel with a dimple (via G&Rtactical) and may get it pinned by ADCO someday.

Arguments include: gas block working loose after a large round count, the GB being too hot for loctite to work well, pinning solves these two problems, etc.

So it depends on your comfort with it. If you are going to use it as a primary home defense weapon you may look into getting it pinned or dimpled or both by ADCO (not too expensive), just for your ease of mind. If it is just a range plinker that gets out once or twice a year, don't worry about it.

bp7178
06-10-10, 16:29
Or just stake them with a borrowed center punch.

Sambo526
06-11-10, 19:22
ok. thanks everyone for the good advice. I've decided to try and secure the LPGB using just the set screws and red loc tite. I have run into a problem so far. I took of the FSB, but now the gas tube won't come out. I removed the cross-pin but the gas tube is still in the FSB rock solid. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it out?

bp7178
06-11-10, 20:39
It's probably seized. You can try some WD-4 or heating up the FSB, but as cheap as gas tubes are, it may be better to get another.

Iraqgunz
06-12-10, 02:07
I assume it is a used/ old gas tube. I recommend just starting with a new gas tube. You can also use a pair of vise-grips and just lock onto the tube and wiggle it back and forth. That will usually break it loose.

ok. thanks everyone for the good advice. I've decided to try and secure the LPGB using just the set screws and red loc tite. I have run into a problem so far. I took of the FSB, but now the gas tube won't come out. I removed the cross-pin but the gas tube is still in the FSB rock solid. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it out?

Sambo526
06-12-10, 10:10
Ok. Now I'm to the point where i have the old gas tube into the new troy lpgb. Now I can't get the roll pin in. I tried and tried and eventually i bent the freaking roll pin. I just ordered a new roll pin and gas tube from bravo company. The old one just would not go in no matter what i did. Is modifying your rifle always this difficult?

patrolman
06-12-10, 10:15
Were you using a starter punch?

Sambo526
06-12-10, 10:26
I used a roll pin holder to start it off. It went in slightly, enough to where the gas tube would not come out but it was probably only in 1/10 of the way. Then i used a 5/32 punch to try and drive it the rest of the way. I hammered it for about an hour with no luck. Eventually it just bent. I lack patience for this kind of stuff. I'm not sure what else i can do. I'm hoping i'll have better luck with the new roll pin and gas tube.