PDA

View Full Version : Wait for the SCAR 17S or build a 308 AR?

jwfuhrman
06-05-10, 20:04
Ive decided that the roles I need in a "General Purpose Carbine" are shying me away from 5.56. My needs in a rifle can vary from a few feet to 600yards around where I live.

Im REALLY interested in the SCAR 17S and its potential. Id be topping what ever 7.62/308 Carbine with the Burris XTR 1.5-6 that they have for the 7.62. That scope with the combo of a 16in 7.62 Carbine will fill 90% of my needs

Just would like to know what people on here that are more knowledgeable in the field than I am think.

If I go the Scar route, it will be $2700 for the gun alone, if I go the 308AR route, Im going with the KAC SR25 and will run roughly the same cost, I think

Just curious as to what you guys think.

TOrrock
06-05-10, 20:14
Ive decided that the roles I need in a "General Purpose Carbine" are shying me away from 5.56. My needs in a rifle can vary from a few feet to 600yards around where I live.

Im REALLY interested in the SCAR 17S and its potential. Id be topping what ever 7.62/308 Carbine with the Burris XTR 1.5-6 that they have for the 7.62. That scope with the combo of a 16in 7.62 Carbine will fill 90% of my needs

Just would like to know what people on here that are more knowledgeable in the field than I am think.

If I go the Scar route, it will be $2700 for the gun alone, if I go the 308AR route, Im going with the KAC SR25 and will run roughly the same cost, I think

Just curious as to what you guys think.

A KAC will run you more than $5K.

You might also want to look seriously at the LMT MRP 7.62 NATO. The Brits just adopted it as their new DMR. There's some discussion down in the Beyond 5.56 forum.

I think the 7.62 NATO SCAR has a whole lot of potential, and the folding stock does make it easier to store or use in a vehicle if needed.

QuietShootr
06-05-10, 20:15
I had this same conversation with myself, and I decided on the LMT 308MWS instead. I wanted a SCAR-H badly, but FN is reticent about selling spare parts...plus $16 P-mags clinched it for me.

Cold
06-05-10, 20:24
I'd get a 308 in the AR10/ DPMS 308 platform. Whoever suits your fancy is up to you.

While I have not shot the SCAR heavy, the SCAR Light I have shot did not impress me, especially the trigger.

jwfuhrman
06-05-10, 20:40
thanks for the quick answers guys. Im not entirely sure why I was thinking the KAC was around the same price.

Ill deffinately be looking into the LMT

QuadBomb
06-06-10, 15:37
For my first rifle I started out wanting a SCAR, then went through several other firearms before settling on building a 6.8mm AR. I don't regret the decision one bit. All I did was assemble the lower and put a nice barreled upper on it, which for a noob like myself was rewarding and fun.

Not trying to recommend the caliber, just telling how good my experience was building the AR.

foxjordan22
06-06-10, 15:50
SCAR 17 is a great gun. that is the way i would go. KAC is very nice but sound like it is out of your budget, so you answered your own question.
SCAR it is.

Cagemonkey
06-06-10, 16:10
The DSA FAL carbine is a good 7.62 rifle. I recently picked one up for $1300. Theirs a used one for sale on the forum. Parts and magazines are plentiful and cheap. Proven and accurate.

Winnerkd
06-06-10, 16:45
A KAC will run you more than $5K.

You might also want to look seriously at the LMT MRP 7.62 NATO. The Brits just adopted it as their new DMR. There's some discussion down in the Beyond 5.56 forum.

I think the 7.62 NATO SCAR has a whole lot of potential, and the folding stock does make it easier to store or use in a vehicle if needed.

If you are interested in the KAC, check out Big Sky Guns. I do not work for them, but they generally have good prices on stuff. They have a KAC on their front page around 4.3k

m4fun
06-06-10, 17:29
I was able to fire heavy demo and it was nice. My concerns are also around parts availablilty. The AR platform .308s have this down. I have a couple of Armalites from way back and stock options, rails, even trigger group swaps made it as fun as playing with AR options. Just the extra bonus of having to tweak magazines to work well. ;)

You know, even the piston based ARs have appeal like the LWRC REPR or POF. FAL, G3s M1as oh yea. But just to be the first kid on the block with one has high cool factor. As I recall, the SCAR-H took a FAL like magazine, but not compatable.

When it comes to these types of discussions I would say get both! Build a .308 AR and enjoy it. If you still have the desire down the road, get the SCAR. You can always sell the .308 AR to help fund if money is tight. You meet the now and perhaps the later.

:)

variablebinary
06-06-10, 17:31
I'd get the LMT over the SCAR-H personally.

jwfuhrman
06-06-10, 19:03
yep, after talking to a few guys at a Multigun match today that were at the FNH USA match a week or so ago, FNH had both the Scar16S and Scar17S on hand for Demo. They said after watchin some of the FNH shooting team and handling the SCAR17S, if I want a 308 carbine, go with a 308AR of some kind.

So that is the route Im going to go.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Nevermiss
06-06-10, 20:37
I already have a JP LRP-07 in 308 and was planning on getting the SCAR-H for my 2nd 308.

That was, until I handled it at the NRA Convention. The stock is the flimsiest (not sure this is a word) AR type stock I've ever handled and it just looked and felt more poorly made than any of the other 308 ARs I handled that day (the trigger was crap as mentioned). I'm sure it will shoot and perform just fine, but I highly recommend that you compare it to your other options.

I haven't decided what to go with next, but I liked the LaRue O(B or S)R. I didn't get to see the LMT or KAC but I'm thinking about them as well as the Noveske N6.

I REALLY wanted to like it, but no way is my $$ going to the SCAR-H as my next 308. YMMV.

On the flip side, I thought the Remington ACR was going to be an overpriced piece of junk and I actually really liked it, although I still consider it significantly overpriced.

dlrflyer
06-16-10, 17:35
I was all hard about getting a SCAR-H too, but then word came down, no parts. That scares me away. While the next gen weapons do have some real advantages, maintainability and commonality trump all for us civies. I bought an LMT MWS, but I'm afraid that LMT will be stingy with parts until the backlog is under control. This is why certain guns make sense, AR-15, AK, FAL...these have been around at least 50 years, with parts commonly available. What the heck do you do if your Daewoo breaks? Damn pricey paperweight.

ArmedSuspect
06-20-10, 19:40
i've had my LMT MWS for almost a week and i have to say that it's a well balanced, easy handling, smooth shooting weapon. my only complaint is the trigger but that's a quick, easy fix.

not to mention that the MWS beat out the SCAR17 in the British weapon testing. i don't know the details but it's reported to have been a fair and honest test.

ALCOAR
06-20-10, 21:14
i've had my LMT MWS for almost a week and i have to say that it's a well balanced, easy handling, smooth shooting weapon. my only complaint is the trigger but that's a quick, easy fix.

not to mention that the MWS beat out the SCAR17 in the British weapon testing. i don't know the details but it's reported to have been a fair and honest test.

Don't forget the little HK417 that went home sad:)

500grains
06-20-10, 21:25
Never wait.

I waited for the Magpul Masada and found out it had transmogrified into a Reminton ACR.

I waited for the HK416 and my hair turned gray.

No more waiting.

Get an LMT, Noveske, Larue or whatever and be happy. If something comes out that you like better, sell what you got, add some dollars to it, and buy the new thing.

VooDoo6Actual
06-20-10, 22:33
Never wait.

Get an LMT, Noveske, Larue or whatever and be happy. If something comes out that you like better, sell what you got, add some dollars to it, and buy the new thing.

+1

This is simple and brillant.