PDA

View Full Version : Magpul BAD lever... loose?

Jake Bauer
06-05-10, 21:28
I just got my Magpul BAD lever and put it on my DDXV. As far as I can tell (and i did follow the directions) I have it installed correctly, however, its kind of wobbly doing a little bit of up and down and a bit more side to side play. I expected it to be really solid considering it's a magpul.... Anyone else having this issue?

Belmont31R
06-05-10, 21:37
They are not going to work on every bolt catch due to the variety of manufacturers out there.

They were loose on every single bolt catch of mine except one, and that one loosened up on its own after about 1k rounds, and was no longer tight.

opmike
06-05-10, 21:38
Is it your lever that's loose or is it your bolt catch that's moving around? The BAD's I've tried have been pretty solid themselves, but they have a tendency to magnifiy the slop already present between your lower and bolt catch.

However, I'm speaking from a relatively small sample size, and I'm sure others will weigh in shortly.

karmapolice
06-05-10, 21:39
more than likely the looseness you are experiencing is that of the bolt catch it's self not the bad lever, since the bolt catch is held in by a roll pin it has some play and its more noticeable with the bad lever attached because you can see the play on a larger area and have something in which to jiggle the bolt catch with.

Jake Bauer
06-05-10, 22:14
This is what I get for asking before playing.

First of all, I originally installed it without separating the lower from the upper which exposes the bolt catch fully. So I separated them and installed it again and it fit a lot tighter.

Secondly, before, I was handling it without a mag inserted. When you put one in, it really locks up tight.

Problem solved, Thanks fellas.

ucrt
06-05-10, 22:18
On my two rifles, when I move my BAD my Bolt Catch moves. That is the slop between the Bolt Catch and the pin it is mounted on. There is no slop between the BAD and the Bolt Catch.

xbmxracerx
09-06-10, 16:10
The #8 Torx screw and wrench are so so. Does anyone know the thread size and length because I would like to get an allen screw to install instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love the device but the torx wrench and screw head are starting to show wear after the re-adjustments. (yes to thread lock)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/MagpulBADlever.jpg

Heavy Metal
09-06-10, 17:04
Put a dab of RTV under the pad cover.

KingsideRook
09-06-10, 17:14
Put a dab of RTV under the pad cover.

Yup - my BAD levers had a little wiggle when I installed them on my bolt catches, not the normal play between bolt catch and receiver. I put a little bit of all-purpose adhesive epoxy on the pad of the bolt catch, and wiped off the excess after I tightened the pad cover. Once it dried, no more wiggle.

xbmxracerx
09-06-10, 17:22
That has been done as well but I'm just concerned about the torx screw and wrench supplied. Starting to get compromised. Want an allen scew head to eliminate the weak torx mating.

Yup - my BAD levers had a little wiggle when I installed them on my bolt catches, not the normal play between bolt catch and receiver. I put a little bit of all-purpose adhesive epoxy on the pad of the bolt catch, and wiped off the excess after I tightened the pad cover. Once it dried, no more wiggle.

agr1279
09-06-10, 20:42
I had problems with mine. I ended up replacing it since the RRA Bolt catch was a little over sized. I installed the BAD onto the bolt catch while it was on the workbench and was a lot easier.

Dan

Heavy Metal
09-06-10, 21:04
I would avoid the epoxy.

It will be Hell to get off. The RTV will be easy to remove and work just as well.

Remember, you have to remove the BAD to access the Hammer Pin.

Quiet-Matt
09-07-10, 20:59
The #8 Torx screw and wrench are so so. Does anyone know the thread size and length because I would like to get an allen screw to install instead.

Don't get me wrong, I love the device but the torx wrench and screw head are starting to show wear after the re-adjustments. (yes to thread lock)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b66/emufreak1/MagpulBADlever.jpg

I never cared for those torx screws either. I don't recall the size or thread pitch, but do what I did and take the BAD lever to ACE hardware with you and find what you need that way. Pictured below are two different ones that I used. I prefer the socket head screw on the right because of the solid interface with the wrench. Changing the screws made it possible to eliminate all of the play when installed. Mine just sit in my spare parts box now since the coolness wore off and I realized that they were in the way more than they were beneficial:blink:.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TIbrWoWjcMI/AAAAAAAAGXM/MaRKSXDrU6I/s720/mms_picture.jpg

xbmxracerx
09-08-10, 15:12
That's exactly what I am trying to do. Thanks!

I never cared for those torx screws either. I don't recall the size or thread pitch, but do what I did and take the BAD lever to ACE hardware with you and find what you need that way. Pictured below are two different ones that I used. I prefer the socket head screw on the right because of the solid interface with the wrench. Changing the screws made it possible to eliminate all of the play when installed. Mine just sit in my spare parts box now since the coolness wore off and I realized that they were in the way more than they were beneficial:blink:.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_5kA3JwNkBxc/TIbrWoWjcMI/AAAAAAAAGXM/MaRKSXDrU6I/s720/mms_picture.jpg