PDA

View Full Version : Visited DC this Saturday

Striker5
06-06-10, 12:41
My planning hit a bump due to a walk/run for breast cancer, blocking my routes into the mall area. Some observations:

-I had been in DC once as a gopher at the Marine Corps Marathon in 2001, but never saw the sights. This was an opportunity as I am on TAD, so there are no loved ones to slow me down or influence my actions(stupid loved ones!:D).

-Started at the Washington Monument, worked my way down the reflecting pool to the Lincoln Memorial. En route I hit the WWII memorial, very appropriately put in place by GW Bush. Went to the Vietnam Memorial, which hit me harder than I was expecting. Then on to the Korean War memorial - those guys had to wait a long time to get this one.

-I was impressed and pleased to see that there was no public jackassery - none. Everyone was respectful and well-behaved. I think the place is awe inspiring and the Capitol police were efficient. I think when the Capitol cops crushed DC demonstrations in the 60's and 70's it worked its way into that hippy DNA and they know not to screw around the mall area.

-Next stop was the national history museum. Most of it was OK - but when it was good it was really good. Seeing the chair that Lee sat in when he signed the treaty at Appamatox was worth the price of the trip. I stood there for a few minutes dumbfounded thinking "Lee sat in that chair". Saw G Washington's uniform - big dude.

-The America goes to war section was very good. I talked to this kid for a few minutes and he was quizzing me on all the issue weapons and knives, etc the USMC employs (haircut gave me away). I tried to be professional and courteous, but I could tell that Mom was not pleased with this conversation. I complimented kiddo on his knowledge (he asked me if an EMP would short out NVGs) and went my merry way.

-Went to National Art Museum - highlights were David's Napoleon, Rembrandts, a handful of truly amazing Vermeers and a single, typically disturbing, Bosch (Death of the Miser). LOTS of naked kids on canvas and in marble - creepy. Went to the modern art bldg - Crap. A huge building full of kindergarten fingerpainting and junk hauled in from the grassy patch behind the shed. There were some Van Gogh's, Cezanne and Gaugin, but the rest was pure tomfoolery.

-Saw people from all over the world, some homos, a crew of Down's syndrome folks, a boy scout troop and most of the hot women in the world went to DC that weekend evidently. A platoon of uniformed Germans were getting their pictures taken w/ some Japanese honeys - only in the USA.

-In conclusion, the trip was moving and exciting and a little depressing. This is the greatest country in history - all the power of Rome and mind boggling decency and restraint. It makes our decline that much worse. More Americans should go to DC to see the majesty of the country they are frittering away with their ignorance, apathy, and foolish notions about the human race.

If you've never been you should go. God Bless America.

kry226
06-06-10, 13:57
Concur.

I was stationed there for two years and still never got to see everything. I did see a lot, but there's almost a lifetime's worth of stuff to see. I had the same feelings about the Museum of History. This is a must-see.

For anyone else, the must-sees I also recommend, as did Striker5: all of the war memorials; plus the Holocaust Museum; the National Archives to see our founding documents; Ford's Theater- especially the museum below where they have Lincoln's clothes he was shot in, and other very cool artifacts; Bureau of Engraving and Printing; the White House; the Pentagon; and most importantly, Arlington National Cemetery, particularly the Tomb of the Unknowns and its Changing of the Guard. If possible, Memorial Day is always the most poignant time.

Jer
06-07-10, 11:59
My wife and I finally a chance to go last year and it was great. Unfortunately there was some jack ass who had his buddy take a picture of him standing in front of the Lincoln Memorial while he threw up the dual single gun salute if you know what I mean. Needless to say he got an earful from me about respect and while he wanted to say something to me I have a feeling that my size and the tone in my voice halted any of that. The disrespect touched me off since I was standing in such awe of how big it really is. I never realized that until I was standing there in person reading the Gettysburg Address amazed at what that speech really meant to the country so many years ago. We were out there for a week or so and still didn't even get to see all we wanted to see. Have your walking shoes on too because we walked a total of 18 miles on one of the days. I want to go back again this year so we can hit what we didn't see the last time. We also went to Mexico a few months prior to that and all I have to say for anyone who feels this country is awful:

Go to Mexico for a week then D.C for a week shortly thereafter.

If more people did this I think this country wouldn't be where it is today. Really puts the real world outside of our borders into perspective and gives you an appreciated for what it is that we have, what it means to the rest of the world and how fleeting it really is.

Ridge_Runner_5
06-07-10, 12:03
I went 10 years ago with my 8th grade class...trip sucked, but because of my roommates, not the sights.

Would love to go again where I wouldnt be stuck to a schedule, and I could visit what I wanted for how long I wanted...

sewvacman
06-07-10, 22:08
-I was impressed and pleased to see that there was no public jackassery - none. Everyone was respectful and well-behaved. I think the place is awe inspiring and the Capitol police were efficient. I think when the Capitol cops crushed DC demonstrations in the 60's and 70's it worked its way into that hippy DNA and they know not to screw around the mall area.

Let me guess, you were there during the daylight hours? The freaks come out at night and sleep during the day.LOL

I lived in or around there for over ten years and never did more than drive past the sites and complained about all the tourists clogging up the roads. Now that I live 1-1/2 hrs away we take the kids down there every so often and have seen more of DC than I ever did living there. Really is some cool stuff if you stop and take the time to look. Still too many people who don't know how to drive though.

mmike87
06-09-10, 11:47
he asked me if an EMP would short out NVGs

Well??? :D

JSantoro
06-09-10, 18:07
http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/parade_sunsetdefault.asp

Definitely something to see, or the Evening Parade held at 8th & I. I actually prefer going to that one, because immediately upon the show's commencement, the infantry companies aren't really seen in the hallways they stage in. All you hear is the *CRUNCH* that's echoed and magnified by the hallways when they come to a halt.

I literally just got a shiver up my spine typing that out and remembering all the times I've heard it.

Heartland Hawk
06-14-10, 22:30
Well??? :D

I bet he asked that because of the scene in the X-Box game "Modern Warfare II".:D

lindertw
06-15-10, 04:36
http://www.mbw.usmc.mil/parade_sunsetdefault.asp

Definitely something to see, or the Evening Parade held at 8th & I. I actually prefer going to that one, because immediately upon the show's commencement, the infantry companies aren't really seen in the hallways they stage in. All you hear is the *CRUNCH* that's echoed and magnified by the hallways when they come to a halt.

I literally just got a shiver up my spine typing that out and remembering all the times I've heard it.
thanks for the tipper Jim, this will be a great outing for my son and his Cub Scout buddies this summer...

Smuckatelli
06-15-10, 09:02
thanks for the tipper Jim, this will be a great outing for my son and his Cub Scout buddies this summer...

That was my last duty station, I pulled two seasons of 'security' because I couldn't man a gate or march with a hearing aid.

Give about a months advanced warning and I might be able to get your den into the band room or SNCO club. This will keep the scouts out of the heat and give them seating around the center of the bleachers.

lindertw
06-22-10, 20:54
Jim - thanks again for the tipper, the Sunset parade tonight was awesome and my son and his buddy loved it:

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/bd34bf71.jpg

That was my last duty station, I pulled two seasons of 'security' because I couldn't man a gate or march with a hearing aid.

Give about a months advanced warning and I might be able to get your den into the band room or SNCO club. This will keep the scouts out of the heat and give them seating around the center of the bleachers.

thank you for the offer, I'll keep it in mind for later this summer!

JSantoro
06-23-10, 01:02
Best dramatic show in town, in the action/thriller genre.

For a more comedic/tragic fusion, you need to visit the Capitol Building.

kry226
06-23-10, 07:12
Jim - thanks again for the tipper, the Sunset parade tonight was awesome and my son and his buddy loved it:

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/bd34bf71.jpg

thank you for the offer, I'll keep it in mind for later this summer!

I used to run around this beautiful monument when I was at Fort Myer and we would do BN runs through Arlington National Cemetery. That was amazing to experience. We would run behind the Tomb of the Unknowns (formations in front of the Tomb must stop and render honors) and all cadence would stop and you would hear nothing but several hundred footsteps running in unison. Once passed the Tomb, cadence would start back up with fury. It was very surreal and solemn, and something I will take to my grave.

As a resident of ANC, I think there would be nothing more enjoyable than to have soldiers running by early in the morning.

I also recommend Twilight Tattoo conducted by the Old Guardon the Ellipse of the White House during summer evenings.