PDA

View Full Version : Bullet deflection through auto glass question

tampam4
06-06-10, 15:10
I did a search, but with my keywords was unable to find anything, so if there is a prior discussion on this particular subject, please post the link.

Obviously there are tons of variables, but generally speaking, shooting in to the vehicle from outside, for example through the front windshield, will the bullet deflect downwards or upwards?

Gutshot John
06-06-10, 15:44
Presuming you're talking about .223/5.56...

I don't think you can predict where it's going to deflect. Too many variables and bullets do funny things.

That said it shouldn't make too much difference if you're shooting COM and keep shooting until the threat is gone. It would really only be an issue when you need a high degree of precision for a single shot. It's not something you can factor into a POA shift.

If you're worried about that, I'd consider some form of barrier round.

Odd Job
06-06-10, 16:54
http://www.afte.org/forum/smf1/index.php?topic=3720.msg19354#msg19354

RyanB
06-06-10, 18:22
Handgun bullets go down when firing into a car and up when firing out. Unsure about rifle rounds, haven't done it yet.

vicious_cb
06-06-10, 22:44
Handgun bullets go down when firing into a car and up when firing out. Unsure about rifle rounds, haven't done it yet.

This. Supposedly they tend to follow the angle of the glass.

Xhado
06-07-10, 00:41
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm

tpd223
06-07-10, 05:49

Not at all true. The deflection is random, and the farther the target is from the glass the more random-er it gets.

Dr. Fackler noted this in one of the IWBA Journals on the subject of hostage rescue shots into cars with a .308 rifle.

I've noted it from shooting the crap out of way more cars than most people get to shoot, both from the inside-out and the outside-in.

Odd Job
06-07-10, 08:10
tpd223

Do you agree with Michael haag's statement on the AFTE thread I linked, that
As for the deflection issue, I have done several well documented experiments, as well as multiple less intense studies at my shooting recon classes involving deflection, and for handgun bullets going into the glass at the common windshield angles, downward deflection on the order of 1 to 10 degrees is common. This translates to about 1 to 6 inches downward at the common range of a shootee from the windshield. Slight right to left seems unpredictable. Shoot outward, and indeed the deflection changes direction.

Molon
06-07-10, 09:20
Here's what the Hornady Ammunition Test Report and Application Guide has to say.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/vqpixa08u0.jpg

Gutshot John
06-07-10, 11:49
tpd223

Do you agree with Michael haag's statement on the AFTE thread I linked, that

To paraphrase Gen. Giap - While perhaps true it's also irrelevant.

It's somewhat akin to flipping a coin. "experiments" sometimes show that "tails" is the more common outcome because the "heads" side is slightly heavier but that doesn't mean you can count on it.

A lot will depend on the height of the shooter and numerous other variables that one cannot possibly account for let alone compensate by shifting POA.

Aim where you would if there was no glass and keep shooting until you eliminate the threat understanding that some deflection is inevitable. If the target is in the front seat the deflection shouldn't be so much that you miss altogether.