PDA

View Full Version : Florida Panhandle?

dew4au
06-06-10, 19:21
I'm in the Panama City area. Anyone else in the area from Pensacola to Tallahassee?

Don Robison
06-06-10, 19:23
I'm up here in Crestview.

GotAmmo
06-06-10, 19:41
i'll be relocating to Eglin here in 7 months. good to see theres people in the area, didnt see much for gun stores or indoor/outdoor ranges in my google searches

Don Robison
06-06-10, 20:02
i'll be relocating to Eglin here in 7 months. good to see theres people in the area, didnt see much for gun stores or indoor/outdoor ranges in my google searches

The two "big" stores in the area are Jay's in Crestview and Jimmie's in Ft. Walton. IMHO, Patriot Arms in Ft. Walton is the best in the area along with Trade Winds Pawn in Gulf Breeze. For ranges; Shoal River Sporting clays in Crestview, Jay's in Baker and the Hurlburt Gun Club are the closest. I'm a member at Shoal River, but usually shoot with friends at the Pensacola Rifle and Pistol club if I want to do anything more than stand up bullseye type shooting. I haven't shot at Jay's since he took it over two years ago. I used to shoot out there weekly when the previous owner had it. I just never went back after it was closed for a few months. I used to belong to the Hurlburt gun club and let my membership expire. It wasn't my cup of tea, but the ranges are nice.

ETA: If you need anything when you get down here let me know. I'll be retiring about then and hopefully will have plenty of time on my hands for a little while.

dew4au
06-07-10, 16:43
I'm up here in Crestview.

I make it out to Shoal River at least once a month. I do a good bit of sporting clays up there. The owner lets me pick up brass at the pistol / rifle range for $1 / lb, so that's enough reason alone for me to make the drive. About half of the brass is LC. I do take my AR up there every once in a while, but I'm not a huge fan of the rifle range since it's sloped downhill.

I do all of my other shooting here in Bay county on private property.

I'll have to advise against Jays in Panama City. They've never been very nice to deal with. Prices are high for the area.

Don Robison
06-07-10, 17:18
I make it out to Shoal River at least once a month. I do a good bit of sporting clays up there. The owner lets me pick up brass at the pistol / rifle range for $1 / lb, so that's enough reason alone for me to make the drive. About half of the brass is LC. I do take my AR up there every once in a while, but I'm not a huge fan of the rifle range since it's sloped downhill.

I do all of my other shooting here in Bay county on private property.

I'll have to advise against Jays in Panama City. They've never been very nice to deal with. Prices are high for the area.

I'm a member at Shoal River as well. It's about 4 miles south of me. I don't shoot there much, because of the rifle range, but it's good enough to zero on. I usually shoot in P'Cola or my yard, but it's getting more populated out here so I've cut way back on shooting in the yard.

Palmguy
06-07-10, 19:27
Crestview/Niceville here...

Corse
07-06-10, 08:01
Fort Walton area.:)

dew4au
07-08-10, 19:32
Fort Walton area.:)

Where do you get your range time in FWB? Know of any stores with decent reloading component prices?

Corse
07-08-10, 19:41
All the ranges seem to be an hour away, unless I go to Hurlburt. As for reloading, I haven't bought anything local yet but Jimmy's has reloading stuff and there is a new place Ranger something.

Palmguy
07-08-10, 20:51
Not sure how great the prices are there because I don't reload, but Ranger Firearms on Hospital Road (at SR189) seems to be focused on reloading.

MT Predator
09-21-10, 21:16
I'm in Crestview as well. All the Jays stores are high priced! Jimmy's has great deals for Mil/LEO on Glocks, S&W, Beretta. Nick at Patriot Arms is the only reasonable dude for accepting transfers. Most of his stuff are consignment guns though. Panhandle Shooting Sports in Crestview is decent. Shoal River and Hurlburt's range rules are retarded. The "rifle tubes" at Shoal River really suck! I haven't shot Jay's in Baker since it was Guns4U and rapid/auto fire was ok.
The two "big" stores in the area are Jay's in Crestview and Jimmie's in Ft. Walton. IMHO, Patriot Arms in Ft. Walton is the best in the area along with Trade Winds Pawn in Gulf Breeze. For ranges; Shoal River Sporting clays in Crestview, Jay's in Baker and the Hurlburt Gun Club are the closest. I'm a member at Shoal River, but usually shoot with friends at the Pensacola Rifle and Pistol club if I want to do anything more than stand up bullseye type shooting. I haven't shot at Jay's since he took it over two years ago. I used to shoot out there weekly when the previous owner had it. I just never went back after it was closed for a few months. I used to belong to the Hurlburt gun club and let my membership expire. It wasn't my cup of tea, but the ranges are nice.

ETA: If you need anything when you get down here let me know. I'll be retiring about then and hopefully will have plenty of time on my hands for a little while.

bradb55
09-21-10, 21:51
My home is in P'cola
Jays is WAY OVER PRICED. $80 bucks for a air soft a2 rear sight. Tradewinds is great. Miles is doing transfers for 35 bucks.

bradb55
09-21-10, 22:04
How would you guys like to do a range day??? Quintette shooting range isn't to bad. But thats a drive for the Bay County boys.

kyleskaggs
09-28-10, 15:26
i will be moving to Eglin from Washington State in Oct. Looking at Crestview or Niceville for a house. Good idea? JSF here I come

Don Robison
09-30-10, 22:01
I'm in Crestview as well. All the Jays stores are high priced! Jimmy's has great deals for Mil/LEO on Glocks, S&W, Beretta. Nick at Patriot Arms is the only reasonable dude for accepting transfers. Most of his stuff are consignment guns though. Panhandle Shooting Sports in Crestview is decent. Shoal River and Hurlburt's range rules are retarded. The "rifle tubes" at Shoal River really suck! I haven't shot Jay's in Baker since it was Guns4U and rapid/auto fire was ok.

Yea, I haven't bought anything from anywhere other than Nick at Patriot Arms or Miles out at Tradewinds in a long time. I was just in Panhandle today; it just doesn't trip my trigger.(no pun intended) I've been a member of the Hurlburt range off and on for 20 years and every time I decide to "give it another chance"; not a thing had changed as far as mentality, so I finally just gave up on it.

How would you guys like to do a range day??? Quintette shooting range isn't to bad. But thats a drive for the Bay County boys.

I've never shot out there, but wouldn't be opposed to it.

i will be moving to Eglin from Washington State in Oct. Looking at Crestview or Niceville for a house. Good idea? JSF here I come

There are quite a few houses in either place at a reasonable price compared to a few years ago. I live in Crestview because I got more for my money and like the isolation. I'm actually about 20 minutes outside of town.
Are you coming from Spokane or Tacoma? I spent 3 years in Spokane back in the 80's. Loved it; sometimes still miss it.

dragbone
01-17-11, 17:24
Dew I'm outside of PC in Wewahitchka,got a great range up in Altha with a 600yard range,100x175 360degree range with shoot house and a pistol range.They will have a Haji MOUNT facility coming soon with some other ranges in the future.

Its not open to the public but I can set up a date with the training ops. guy "he's a good friend" and we can have a day to shoot for us locals.

wesprt
01-17-11, 20:32
Crawfordville denizen here.. Just south of Tallahassee.

dew4au
01-26-11, 09:26
Dew I'm outside of PC in Wewahitchka,got a great range up in Altha with a 600yard range,100x175 360degree range with shoot house and a pistol range.They will have a Haji MOUNT facility coming soon with some other ranges in the future.

Its not open to the public but I can set up a date with the training ops. guy "he's a good friend" and we can have a day to shoot for us locals.

I had no idea that kind of range existed in Altha! Surely it's not for Calhoun County SO. Since my original posting I've joined the Gulf Rifle Club in Port St. Joe. Rifle ranges of 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards. Pistol ranges of 25, and 50 yards. Nice to have for rifle zeroing and load development, but a pain in the butt to do anything but bunch shooting. Anything other than bench shooting requires me to show up at odd hours when no one would be expected at the range.

I really enjoy being a member, but FDOT is widening 71 by the range and the new right of way will cut through our pistol range.

1371USMCFL
01-26-11, 12:27
when home in the states, I'm in Tallahassee

dragbone
01-26-11, 21:36
Dew I don't hang out at GRC much any more only to teach a few CCW classes.Way to many range NAZI's and had one guy called the local SO on me because he said my Son's 22 tube feed rifle was full auto because I did a demo for my kid to show how a bump fire works.The SO got a big kick out of that and just laugh and said have a good day.:lol:

You need to get up with me and will burn some powder in Altha...

C2_Drew
04-10-11, 21:40
GRC is not bad for the Panama City area, but it could be better. I can go out there to bench test new loads, but for anything active I have to drive to my family's land in south Alabama. I do have a nice berm and lots of target stands, but it takes over two hours to get there. I try to make it a rule that I shoot longer than it takes me to drive, so I only go up there when I've got a solid shooting buddy and lots of ammo loaded.

I visited the "Gun Show" in PC today and I must say that I did more eye rolling than anything. $20 pmags? You've got to be kidding! More crap ARs than you can shake a stick at. Lots of tacticool gadgets, but no actual gun deals. Gun shows are so depressing these days.

GotAmmo
07-18-11, 20:56
Figured I'll revive the thread as I'll be heading to Eglin AFB in about 2 weeks.

But have any you guys dealt with Advanced Tactical Solutions in Santa Rosa Beach? I'm looking at buying a Noveske and they are the only dealers on the Noveske page that is anywhere close to the area.

C2_Drew
07-19-11, 09:40
Figured I'll revive the thread as I'll be heading to Eglin AFB in about 2 weeks.

But have any you guys dealt with Advanced Tactical Solutions in Santa Rosa Beach? I'm looking at buying a Noveske and they are the only dealers on the Noveske page that is anywhere close to the area.

I drove out to see Shelton at ATS a few months ago just to check it out. It's the only Noveske dealer I know of in the area.
They pretty much have everything in the store that they have on the site, and they include shipping in the prices so there's no real need for me to make the trip when buying accessories.

Given the area, I don't think they have many customers in the store at any given moment. The Santa Roasa locals seem to be leery of the place.

No problems in the two transactions I've had with them.

suthrncop66
01-11-12, 23:04
Not in Florida, but just outside here in Mobile, about 45 minutes from Pensacola

BluewaterTactical
02-24-12, 08:11
Pensacola here. Moved here from Tennessee a few months ago. I shoot out at ERML.

Where is this ATS place?

Jambi
02-24-12, 09:02
P'friggin'cola baby !

BluewaterTactical
02-24-12, 09:14
Sounds like we need a local get together.

C2_Drew
02-24-12, 10:57
Where is this ATS place?

It's on US 98 in santa rosa beach, just east of Destin.

BluewaterTactical
02-24-12, 15:13
It's on US 98 in santa rosa beach, just east of Destin.

Thanks. What is ATS shorthand for?

C2_Drew
02-24-12, 15:59
Thanks. What is ATS shorthand for?

Advanced Tactical Solutions. They have free shipping on everything, so if you're not up for the long haul just have it shipped. Good folks.

http://www.advancedtacticalsolutions.com

dfclin073
04-30-12, 13:32
Ill be moving to Pensacola next month, any good places to shoot in the area?

Jambi
04-30-12, 16:16

Wide open land, no. And I dont do clubs, so Im always on the lookout.

This one had poor reviews, but is supposedly under new management and may start allowing Class III.
Northwest Region
FWC Public Shooting Range
6850 Quintette Road
Pace, FL 32571
(850) 995-9377

Here is a list of others:
http://www.muck-boy.com/Shooting%20Ranges/Muckboy%20Florida%20Shooting%20Range%20Page.htm

dfclin073
04-30-12, 18:48
Perfect thanks!

GotAmmo
04-30-12, 19:20

I've never been but there is a place called Jay's Gun & Accessories, they have an indoor in pensacola and an outdoor range in baker with Class 3 for rent

Fees are pretty high but it seems places are limited when it comes to shooting.

BluewaterTactical
05-14-12, 19:29
Ranges in the Pensacola area I have been too are the K&M Precision Shooting range up in Baker, FL and I am a member of the Escambia River Muzzle Loaders (ERML) range.

K&M is like $750/yr but goes out to almost 1k, and has a metric shitton of ranges. ERML is $125/yr goes out to 100 but is very close to Pensacola.

Jays in Crestview I think has an indoor range. The one in Pensacola is just a stand alone shop only.

x60183
07-17-12, 10:41
Any good places to shoot in the area that aren't a "yearly membership" deal?

Corse
07-17-12, 10:55
Jays in baker can be done by the day. Not that cheap though.

BluewaterTactical
07-19-12, 21:24
There is a new range in Navarre I think and also one just on the other side of the state line in Alabama off of I-10.

LiquidG
11-19-12, 09:47
I drove out to see Shelton at ATS a few months ago just to check it out. It's the only Noveske dealer I know of in the area.
They pretty much have everything in the store that they have on the site, and they include shipping in the prices so there's no real need for me to make the trip when buying accessories.

Given the area, I don't think they have many customers in the store at any given moment. The Santa Roasa locals seem to be leery of the place.

No problems in the two transactions I've had with them.

I'm up in Crestview. Be leery of ATS, they did 2 Form 4 transfers for me, a Colt 6933 and a sparrow suppressor.

Went to pick them up Saturday and my Colt was on his back wall with no carry handle. They couldn't find it and game me a carry handle from a colt .22 instead:mad:

I popped the bolt out and it didn't look right for some reason. Did say anything about because I was still peeved that my carry handle disappeared and that he *probably, can't say for sure, sat on my forms for a couple weeks.

I get home and compare the BCG to my 6920's and it turns out its a semi BCG and not even a Colt one. I already picked a new BCG off gunbroker yesterday but I sent him the link to see what he was to say.

I can't say Shelton did the swapping himself but there is definitely a thief in the shop and I would avoid it at all costs.

For regular transfers I use Shoal river gun club, they charge $25 for non members and I think $15 or $20 for members.

I've also bought a few guns from Jays, you just have to haggle to get a fair deal, but usually if you flash the cash they will match what I show them I can get it for online.

I heard there is a new shop in destin by target, anyone been yet?

SkyLine1
11-19-12, 10:34
Its next to windixie on the backside of that strip center. Did not go in, was on vacation and didn't want the coach store trade off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2