PDA

View Full Version : July Shoot?

wichaka
06-07-10, 05:24
Appears I'm going to have weekends off in July, and am looking for a get together.

Been doing some shooting with Mike Calloway owner of Schuemann Barrels, am priming him to come out and run some drills. He shoots a lot of 3 gun etc., which I know some of the stuff doesn't cross over to tactical schtuff...but some of the mechanics do.

Let me know whatcha all think.

d90king
06-07-10, 06:40
Wish I was closer... I would shoot with ya anytime!

For anyone close, I have no doubt it would be a great experience.

bkb0000
06-07-10, 23:07
your place or mine?

wichaka
06-08-10, 04:35
Wherever its best so its easy for the whole group. Me thinks most everyone would have to travel up here, whereas most everyone is fairly close to down there.

Have got some ideas for shoot/no shoot stages and will have some steel as well.

bkb0000
06-09-10, 20:17
well if it's left up to me, i think we all know where we'll be shooting. :p

wichaka
06-10-10, 00:23
Seems as if your place is the hub, so lets do it down there.

Now for a day...and time.

bkb0000
06-10-10, 00:35
10th and the 24th work for me. i'm gonna have a non-PNW group on the range on the 17th- hopefully it wont be a problem to bogart the range two saturdays in a row...

unfortunately, there will be no more carbine shooting in the pistol bays.. apparently there wasn't ever supposed to be to begin with :eek: hah.

Dutchy556
06-14-10, 13:39
It's a bit of a drive for me these days but I'll come up... either of those dates work for me at this point.

seanb
06-14-10, 18:31
hey i'm new to the PNW group. where would this shoot be held exactly?

Titleist
06-14-10, 18:44
I can probably make it with dutchy.

bkb0000
06-15-10, 00:10
hey i'm new to the PNW group. where would this shoot be held exactly?

welcome. if we do it where we're talking about doing it, it'll be at Clatskanie Rifle and Pistol club (CRPC).

i have no problem doing it at CRPC, gentlemen, but feel free to speak up if you (ambiguous) have a different spot you want to light 'em up at.

i'll go ahead and put in a request for the 24th. will apprise.

wichaka
06-15-10, 01:10
Lets try for the 24th. Will be comin back from a week of teaching, shootin, and armorer classes...so another day of doin the same is all good to me.

If people can come up with some drills as well to make it a group training, that would be good.

I have some drills, and some decision stages to go thru. So plan an all day thing...don't forget yer lunch!

Got a possible start time bkb0000?

bkb0000
06-17-10, 00:39
wow, bad lag.

i usually schedule start for 11, with the expectation of shooting till 6 or 7. allows people to get there, eat, load up on coffee, buy ammo if necessary, etc.

naturally we can start whenever we want, though. got something special in mind?

wichaka
06-17-10, 02:53
Just a good day of shooting, allowing others to come up with drills, and get to know bull sessions.

I had to leave early last time, didn't really get to chat with anyone much.

But am open to any time to start...Hoo-Rah!

Fontaine
06-17-10, 20:29
I am down for a shoot, OR, WA all works for me.

wichaka
06-21-10, 00:34
Well the 24th just went up in smoke for me, so I can't do it.

I am available for the following dates in July;

11th , 17th or Aug 1

bkb0000
06-21-10, 01:19
as did it for me, as well.. sort of forgot about my best friend's wedding being on the 24th.

are you not avail for the 10th? that's looking like my alternate. fact of the matter is, i'm pretty much open whenever, with the exception of these specific days i have things scheduled. most days are just regular work days that i can take off at will, but i'm guessing most guys are limited to weekends.

who's available weekdays? i want to try to get 6-odd guys on the range, or more.

lfromsalem
06-21-10, 12:25
Weekday's are ok for me.

Titleist
06-21-10, 12:48
Some of us have real jobs, so weekdays are NO GO for me and a bunch of the folks from WA.

If we can do it the weekend of the 17th that'd be good, as a lot of us will be in WA at tac rifle on the 10th.

bkb0000
06-21-10, 13:02
i've got another group on the range on the 17th, which means the 18th is out as well. i'm trying to keep to saturdays for all the church-goin' types, but sundays are just as good as any for me. sundays other than the 18th. who's avail for the 25th?

Titleist
06-21-10, 13:06
I think the 25th is fine as well. But weekdays and the second saturday of the month is usually a no go between tac rifle and/or practical rifle.

Fontaine
06-23-10, 16:22
25th works for me!

As a side note, the world famous Oregon Brewer's fest is July 22nd to the 25th. http://www.oregonbrewfest.com/

WA folk who like beer: make it a weekend?

wichaka
06-27-10, 01:39
After I started this thread with what i thought would be clear sailing for July has turned into me now having 7 days off for the month!!!! UGH!

Anyone up for August 1?

Fontaine
07-08-10, 23:54
Any new updates on July for a PNW shoot?

bkb0000
07-09-10, 16:02
no.. we never got anything nailed down. since this is wichaka's thread, and proposal, i'd like to make sure we get him out. he's past due anyway.

and he owes us some brass!

wich- you avail on the 31st?

is anyone else OK for the 1st? its a sunday, and i know you goody-two-shoes churchy types like your churchy church. :rolleyes:

(kidding, i'm a church goin man, myself).

soon as we get some kind of a consensus, i'll put in. how about this- if i can get at least 4 ma'****ers to commit to the 1st, i'll schedule the event right then and there.

this is probably how we should organize scheduling events in the first place.

Titleist
07-09-10, 16:22
You have me, I know Fontaine, Piet, and my friend Keith. Boom! 4.

bkb0000
07-09-10, 17:00
there it be. i'll put in for the 1st on me dinner break.

wichaka
07-09-10, 18:44
Alrighty, Aug 1 is a bust too.

In Aug I have sat-sun-mon off, but since I work til 0600 on Sat morning, that might not be a good thing, unless we start in the afternoon.

Sooooothe weekends of Aug 7th, 14th, or 28th will work for me.

I have been talking with Mike Calloway (owner of Schuemann Barrels http://www.schuemann.com/default.aspx 0 ) he said he would like to come out and run us thru some drills, he also has some rifle steel....so am hoping for a good day of shooting and getting to know the group better.

Titleist
07-09-10, 19:00
Can we just pick a day and stick to it? We're burning summer here! :D

MookNW
07-09-10, 21:41
First or the eighth please.

Titleist
07-09-10, 21:55
Same, 1st or the 8th. middle of august or later is just too late and work will keep me out of the game.

bkb0000
07-09-10, 22:32
ive put in for the first.

Dutchy556
07-09-10, 23:53
I can likely make the first, pretty busy around that time though so its tentative.

bkb0000
07-10-10, 10:44
we are GO for august first.

they still want payment for the last shoot... BAH.

Steve- try to get out in the afternoon, if thats all you can manage. i had to get this thing scheduled... sorry, man.

MookNW
07-10-10, 11:08
Calendar.....marked. If anyone wants to rally/car-pool from sea-tac area, we should figure that out.

Fontaine
07-11-10, 00:42
August 1st works best for me as well!

Second weekend of August is the civilian run through of the USTACRA WA state SWAT Rodeo stages. I wanna run the same stages the SWAT guys run, haha.

See ya'll then :)

wichaka
07-13-10, 02:39
The 1st works the best, as I don't work the night before....so I will get out to the range in the late morning to set things up...that work for you Ben?

I will be packing 5 target stands, with backers and assorted targets, along with some rifle steel.

Hoping to set up some multi-target drills, with decision shoot/no-shoot options.

If anyone coming has access to some target stands, bring them along, will need to set up some barricades etc.

But as always this is a group thing, so I like all to have some input. Like to learn from all of you.

bkb0000
07-13-10, 19:31
The 1st works the best, as I don't work the night before....so I will get out to the range in the late morning to set things up...that work for you Ben?

I will be packing 5 target stands, with backers and assorted targets, along with some rifle steel.

Hoping to set up some multi-target drills, with decision shoot/no-shoot options.

If anyone coming has access to some target stands, bring them along, will need to set up some barricades etc.

But as always this is a group thing, so I like all to have some input. Like to learn from all of you.

works fine. we'll probably start at 11, as usual. i'll have plenty of things to do, so don't feel like you need to kill yourself to get out by 11.

i'll be bringing 12ish silhouette stands, a couple large target boards, and probably some other shit. don't bother bringing extra stands if you think that'll be enough. steel is always cool- i have not yet invested. i'll be bringing my usual paper plates and 3x5 cards and spray paint. stapling devices are good, and/or spray-adhesive. i'll bring a hammer-tacker.

and if anybody else wants to bring anything in the way of props- do so. none of my CoFs are totally concrete- improvisation is good.

so for the record, who's committed? head-count, por favor.

MookNW
07-13-10, 19:37
I will be there.
rifle/handgun ammo? Whattya think?
Anyone wanna carpool? I gotta car, room for 2 more

bkb0000
07-13-10, 19:59
new people, if you're coming:

if you're new to tactical shooting, drop me a PM to set aside some quick, basic instruction before the shoot. we don't really over safety rules, weapon-handling, etc, during the shoot... most, if not all of us, have done/do tactical shooting on a regular basis, and it's assumed that everyone knows protocol. if you're lasering guys, running with the weapon on FIRE, have your finger on the trigger when not firing, etc... you WILL get a verbal bitch-slapping.

and a note to everyone, not just new people- it shall now be policy that everyone attending PNW shoots is to be considered an RSO. if you see anyone doing anything unsafe, at any time, it is your obligation to correct it on the spot. be looking at everyone's weapons to make sure they're either open or on safe, be watching peoples' muzzles, watch for fingers in the guard, etc. if you see me do something stupid, i absolutely expect you to call me on it. we all have little slips, and it's forgivable so long as nobody gets shot, but it still needs to be addressed.

that's how we make it habit- fear of public embarrassment. :)

also, and something i've been meaning to address since PNW's inception- who carries GSW-appropriate FAKs? another member PMed me today asking if blowout kits are required... they're not, but i'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to at least ensure somebody has a kit and knows how to use it for every event. CRPC is not exactly within shouting distance of a hospital, and the simple fact is: shit does happen. out very own Rangemaster shot himself in the ass last summer, for beautiful example.

so who's got GSW-appropriate first-aid kits? who's got some certification? my certs for basic first aid and CRP are expired, but i've at least had a few training sessions. i was also, long, long ago, the field medic on my Ironman team in military school, covering GSWs, tourniquets, SCWs, etc... but i'm surely very rusty.

bkb0000
07-13-10, 20:02
I will be there.
rifle/handgun ammo? Whattya think?
Anyone wanna carpool? I gotta car, room for 2 more

we average between 350-450 of rifle, and 200-250 of pistol. I'll have a better idea once i get a CoF for this event developed. it's never a bad idea to just always bring at least 500/300.. fact of the matter is, if we're shooting more than that, we're probably exceeding a day's worth of learning/retention.

kaltesherz
07-13-10, 20:59
new people, if you're coming:

if you're new to tactical shooting, drop me a PM to set aside some quick, basic instruction before the shoot. we don't really over safety rules, weapon-handling, etc, during the shoot... most, if not all of us, have done/do tactical shooting on a regular basis, and it's assumed that everyone knows protocol. if you're lasering guys, running with the weapon on FIRE, have your finger on the trigger when not firing, etc... you WILL get a verbal bitch-slapping.

and a note to everyone, not just new people- it shall now be policy that everyone attending PNW shoots is to be considered an RSO. if you see anyone doing anything unsafe, at any time, it is your obligation to correct it on the spot. be looking at everyone's weapons to make sure they're either open or on safe, be watching peoples' muzzles, watch for fingers in the guard, etc. if you see me do something stupid, i absolutely expect you to call me on it. we all have little slips, and it's forgivable so long as nobody gets shot, but it still needs to be addressed.

that's how we make it habit- fear of public embarrassment. :)

also, and something i've been meaning to address since PNW's inception- who carries GSW-appropriate FAKs? another member PMed me today asking if blowout kits are required... they're not, but i'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to at least ensure somebody has a kit and knows how to use it for every event. CRPC is not exactly within shouting distance of a hospital, and the simple fact is: shit does happen. out very own Rangemaster shot himself in the ass last summer, for beautiful example.

so who's got GSW-appropriate first-aid kits? who's got some certification? my certs for basic first aid and CRP are expired, but i've at least had a few training sessions. i was also, long, long ago, the field medic on my Ironman team in military school, covering GSWs, tourniquets, SCWs, etc... but i'm surely very rusty.

Safety is mucho importante, I doubt anyone will have problems with big boy rules.

I've got an IFAK on my chest rig which consist of a modified issue insert.
- CAT tourniquet
- Combat sheers
- Nasopharyngeal plus lube
- Chest decompression needle
- Israeli bandage x2
- Compressed Gauze
- Quikclot combat gauze
- Latex gloves

I can bring more stuff if you'd like, but that should cover GSW's pretty well

kaltesherz
07-13-10, 21:09
we average between 350-450 of rifle, and 200-250 of pistol. I'll have a better idea once i get a CoF for this event developed. it's never a bad idea to just always bring at least 500/300.. fact of the matter is, if we're shooting more than that, we're probably exceeding a day's worth of learning/retention.

Are there any rules there about steel cased ammo? I was planning on picking up 2000 rounds to Silver Bear 62gr HP's, it's 1/3 cheaper than brass stuff so I'd like to shoot that if I can.

Also I've only got a leather IWB holster for my G19, it'll be a little awkward with my chest rig so I hope that's not a problem either.

bkb0000
07-13-10, 21:10
Safety is mucho importante, I doubt anyone will have problems with big boy rules.

I've got an IFAK on my chest rig which consist of a modified issue insert.
- CAT tourniquet
- Combat sheers
- Nasopharyngeal plus lube
- Chest decompression needle
- Israeli bandage x2
- Compressed Gauze
- Quikclot combat gauze
- Latex gloves

I can bring more stuff if you'd like, but that should cover GSW's pretty well

we havent even come close to problems. PNW members are squared away. but as we grow, and probably get into increasingly higher speed drills, i want to emphasize the point.

bkb0000
07-13-10, 21:13
Are there any rules there about steel cased ammo? I was planning on picking up 2000 rounds to Silver Bear 62gr HP's, it's 1/3 cheaper than brass stuff so I'd like to shoot that if I can.

Also I've only got a leather IWB holster for my G19, it'll be a little awkward with my chest rig so I hope that's not a problem either.

steel is fine. i recommend the IWB holster, if that's your daily carry. if it's no go with your LCE, i can loan you something that'll handle your pistola. i've got a small pile of cheap glock holsters that'll at least get a guy through a shoot.

Dutchy556
07-13-10, 22:26
I just realized that I don't think I can make it - prior obligations. Bummer because this is shaping up to be a good shoot..!

wichaka
07-14-10, 02:01
Since I'm thinking we'll be doing some team drills as well, me thinks it will be worth the time to go over movement without weapons in hand/slung.

I will be there early, as I will be in town the night before...so gimme a time Ben, and I'll be there. Am expecting some set up time, so when all show up we can get ta shootin'

Will have t-shirts to throw over some targets, plastic guns to attach for decision making, as well as other goodies.

I brought a Speer hat last time, anyone win that yet?

If so, will have something to throw in the pot, for a prize for some friendly competition...what ya all say?

Fontaine
07-14-10, 20:01
Sweet, i'm looking foward to the shoot. It'll be great practice for Carbine 2 in October :D

Gonna just run the 5.45 AR most of the time, and maybe a little suppressed .223 action here and there.

wichaka
07-24-10, 11:24
Anyone have a shot timer they can bring?

I loaned mine out, and not sure if it will get back to me in time.

bkb0000
07-26-10, 12:13
Anyone have a shot timer they can bring?

I loaned mine out, and not sure if it will get back to me in time.

i do not, but i believe one of our newest members does, if SHE'd ever sign in we could ask her.

otherwise, i'm pretty sure Isaac does, and probably a couple other guys.

PM inbound, too.

kaltesherz
07-27-10, 21:54
Calendar.....marked. If anyone wants to rally/car-pool from sea-tac area, we should figure that out.

Just PMed you about car pooling

wichaka
07-27-10, 23:11
There may be some wailing and gnashing of teeth...but I have to work this weekend. We are down a few people and still trying to maintain 24hr coverage! UGH!

Soooooooo I am not able to make it.

Believe me I am very frustrated, as I can't seem to have a life past the job.

The next time, which I got a promise that I will have the day off will be Sunday 8/29

I can do the 15th as well, will be working the night before...but will be able to make it.

bkb0000
07-27-10, 23:32
There may be some wailing and gnashing of teeth...but I have to work this weekend. We are down a few people and still trying to maintain 24hr coverage! UGH!

Soooooooo I am not able to make it.

Believe me I am very frustrated, as I can't seem to have a life past the job.

The next time, which I got a promise that I will have the day off will be Sunday 8/29

I can do the 15th as well, will be working the night before...but will be able to make it.

:blink:

well there's no point calling you back, then.

---

HEAD COUNT. how many bodies? i actually need to know, these days, with range fees.

Looks like:

Fontaine
Isaac / Keith
Mook
kaltesherz

have committed. you guys still in? any new people? we're supposed to have a new member- but she still hasn't checked in, so i don't know if she's coming or not.

kaltesherz
07-28-10, 02:40
<--- still down like chinatown

wichaka
07-29-10, 05:11
Since I started this thread, and have had to change the date a few times, me thinks until the job stabilizes I'll let the masses figure out a day/time and I'll show up when I can.

Sorry for the problems this has caused.

Shoot well and train hard.

MookNW
07-29-10, 08:53
Just getting all my loose ends together for this weekend. I don't have a ton of gear. What might I NEED besides rifle, sidearm,ammo, sling, holster,mags,(I usually put my pmags in my back pocket) mag carriers, northwest compliant clothing, eyepro, earpro, sum gloves? Just trying to get my ducks in a row, as not many toy stores are open at 8 am Sunday:lazy:
As well, what might be nice to have , but not necessary?

kaltesherz
07-29-10, 17:55
Just getting all my loose ends together for this weekend. I don't have a ton of gear. What might I NEED besides rifle, sidearm,ammo, sling, holster,mags,(I usually put my pmags in my back pocket) mag carriers, northwest compliant clothing, eyepro, earpro, sum gloves? Just trying to get my ducks in a row, as not many toy stores are open at 8 am Sunday:lazy:
As well, what might be nice to have , but not necessary?

Cleaning kit, lube, water (hydration carrier?), sunscreen, and snacks / lunch are other things to consider

Titleist
07-30-10, 14:59
Guys, I hate to do this...but I don't think I can make it.

Between work and the fact that I pinched a nerve in my shoulder which has left my right (my good shootin' hand) mostly numb for the past week, I really need to take it easy.

If I can I'll try to show up with my camera. But I doubt I'd do any shooting.

Fontaine
07-30-10, 15:02
Sorry fellers, don't think i'm gonna make it this weekend. My buddy is having his "bachelor party" in the woods up here in WA, just shooting and drinking afterwards. I was hoping he'd have an actual bachelor party later (with you know, strippers) but this looks to be the real deal.

Hate to back out of a M4C shoot, but i'd feel real bad if i ditched out on my buddy too, haha

MookNW
07-30-10, 16:27
then there were three

kaltesherz
07-30-10, 16:37
Sorry fellers, don't think i'm gonna make it this weekend. My buddy is having his "bachelor party" in the woods up here in WA, just shooting and drinking afterwards. I was hoping he'd have an actual bachelor party later (with you know, strippers) but this looks to be the real deal.

Hate to back out of a M4C shoot, but i'd feel real bad if i ditched out on my buddy too, haha

That's what would really kick some life back into this shoot, strippers!
Maybe Titleist could wrangle a few up in addition to the camera duties

bkb0000
07-30-10, 18:51
Guys, I hate to do this...but I don't think I can make it.

Between work and the fact that I pinched a nerve in my shoulder which has left my right (my good shootin' hand) mostly numb for the past week, I really need to take it easy.

If I can I'll try to show up with my camera. But I doubt I'd do any shooting.

you're welcome to come, but don't feel an obligation to come just for photography duty- that's a long drive and a wasted day just to take some pictures of other guys shooting.

---

Our newest member is coming, though she still hasn't officially joined PNW via the Intro/Roster thread.. so that's 4

assuming four, that's $12.50/head for range use fee.

---

speaking of fee, i still need to collect for the last PNW shoot. i'd just cover it myself, but i've been getting stuck with them a LOT lately, and its adding up. i'll get PMs out for that.

MookNW
07-30-10, 18:59
Less people= more trigger time in my book:moil:

bkb0000
08-03-10, 03:00
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=723497#post723497

blam-o

i put it in a separate thread because i didn't start this one, therefor cannot edit the title to indicate the AAR.