PDA

View Full Version : Charging handle hangs up on chest rig...?

rushca01
06-07-10, 07:32
I have been going to range quite a bit latley to practice for a class coming up and I have noticed every time I have the rifle just hanging off my neck the charging handle comes un latched as it hits either a mag or part of the chest rig. If I adjust the sling to allow more slack the muzzle smacks me knees around. Is there a simple sollution I am missing or is it just nature of the beast. It's really noticeable if the bolt is back which means there is no pressure on the charging handle at all. I am running the gun fighter and I'm sure it's from the larger latch.

Long story short, do I have a unique sittuation or do you guys have issues like this too..ie..is it common?

BushmasterFanBoy
06-07-10, 07:44
I have been going to range quite a bit latley to practice for a class coming up and I have noticed every time I have the rifle just hanging off my neck the charging handle comes un latched as it hits either a mag or part of the chest rig. If I adjust the sling to allow more slack the muzzle smacks me knees around. Is there a simple sollution I am missing or is it just nature of the beast. It's really noticeable if the bolt is back which means there is no pressure on the charging handle at all. I am running the gun fighter and I'm sure it's from the larger latch.

Long story short, do I have a unique sittuation or do you guys have issues like this too..ie..is it common?

It's just the way things are. Bigger latches will snag on things (I can proudly get a GI latch to snag on anything, especially suspender straps) You should be able to keep on trucking most of the time, as the force shouldn't be pulling the BCG out of battery though (though as you said, with the bolt locked back, its gonna pull the CH)

As for prevention, the only solution that works for me is to take an active role in controlling the gun at all times. (ie, hold onto it ;) )

opmike
06-07-10, 07:45
This is one of the reasons Gunfighter is available in the medium (Mod 4) and small (Mod 5), so no, you're not the only one.

I think one route would be for you to look into getting a smaller latch, if the large (assuming that's what you have) is not working with your gear.

rushca01
06-07-10, 07:54
Thanks for the replies. I am running the mod 4, love the CH. I will just have to adapt to it. It's not a big deal and is manageable just making sure though.

subzero
06-07-10, 08:05
This is the peril of any larger-than-normal charging handle latch, and can even happen with the stock latch.

One way around it is to rotate your rifle over, so the ejection port is against your body. Obviously this is only for when you're trying to go hands-free as it's difficult to maintain positive control (read: hand on the pistol grip) when the rifle is hanging like that.

You can also clear out some space on your gear if it's consistently hitting you in the same spot.

m1ajunkie
06-07-10, 19:14
Mine does this even with the regular sized latch. Kind of annoying, but I usually just let it stay unlatched if it comes unlatched because as soon as you chamber a round it will latch it's self.

ALCOAR
06-07-10, 19:54
Shoot lefty...I do:D

Joeywhat
06-07-10, 20:32
This is why I always roll the gun in so the ejection port is against my body when hanging it.

If it's getting caught while maintaning a firing grip either change the way you hold the rifle, or remove some of your kit/move it elsewhere if possible.

RogerinTPA
06-07-10, 21:23
Never had the issue and I run BCM Mod4s. I normally take the extra second to watch what I'm doing so when I let the weapon hang, it doesn't snag. Adjusting your chest rig, up or down, may help as well.