PDA

View Full Version : Searching: Minimalist AR Breakdown Hard Case

ST911
06-07-10, 22:46
I need a small, light, hard-sided container to hold a broken down AR upper (16") and lower. It should be the lightest and smallest container possible that can contain both. It must contain both at once. It doesn't have to accommodate any ammunition or other accessory. It must be lockable, but doesn't need an integrated lock. Can be purpose-built, or could be another container adapted for the purpose like a tool, instrument, or other case. Must be small and light though.

Discreet is preferred. Something that does not look like a gun container is ideal, but it needn't look like anything else either.

This will be going inside other luggage for rail, other ground, and air (civil and commercial) travel. It will also be used for discreet storage in various ways.

I have considered ordering in kydex and molding a custom, but thought that someone else may have been down this road already.

All ideas welcome. Thanks.

koji
06-07-10, 23:01
I'm building one with closed cell foam and an old instrument case (non-guitar). I don't think it gets more discreet than lil' Johnny's clarinet. I'm off to go search, but I haven't seen anything like that on here.

Edit: Nevermind - sounds like you want it as small as possible and it doesn't need to look like anything else. Containers that small that have the features you want are hard to come by - I looked before going with the instrument case setup. Be interested to see what other people have used.

koji
06-07-10, 23:11
Double post - Sorry.

Yute
06-09-10, 01:38
I've been playing around with this idea too for a broken down 16 inch carbine with a collapsible stock. I'm leaning towards getting a Pelican 1690, though I need to double check the measurements before I pull the trigger..

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1690