PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Shooters

6.8 Shooter
06-08-10, 00:20
Anyone on here from Minnesota? I see there has been no activity here for Minnesota shooters.

Hmac
06-08-10, 00:36
Defensive Edge basic rifle tactics course this weekend in Princeton...otherwise yeh, pretty dead. I'm trying to get some kind of course going through the Sheriffs office here (Crow Wing county), but it's not easy.

FJ540MN
06-08-10, 01:44
We've got a cabin outside of brainerd, so if you do get something lined up I'd like to know about it.

luckybychoice
06-08-10, 02:13
howdy,i'm by New Prague,i'd be interested in shooting in a league or taking a course,good luck,if i can be any help let me know.

6.8 Shooter
06-08-10, 07:27
I shoot a bowling pin league every Tuesday at a range in North Branch. Also shoot the NFA stuff there. Last time we shot up an old piano with machine guns.

helothar
06-08-10, 18:00
Twin Cities here, I don't have much going on by way of shooting right now, but I'd like to! I'd especially be interested in a carbine course of some kind

ST911
06-09-10, 02:59
I shoot a bowling pin league every Tuesday at a range in North Branch. Also shoot the NFA stuff there. Last time we shot up an old piano with machine guns.

Bullseye?

6.8 Shooter
06-09-10, 06:02
Yes, Bullseye

BC98
06-09-10, 12:05
Twin Cities here, I don't have much going on by way of shooting right now, but I'd like to! I'd especially be interested in a carbine course of some kind

Same here. I plan on taking some courses with Sully at Defensive Edge but wouldn't mind a little more diversity in training.

ST911
06-09-10, 13:26
Yes, Bullseye

Sent you a PM

Aristogeiton
07-13-10, 09:09

Same here!

Hmac
07-13-10, 09:32
We've got a cabin outside of brainerd, so if you do get something lined up I'd like to know about it.

Basic local carbine course in Brainerd for Sept 11.

helothar
07-13-10, 17:48
Those who are in/around the twin cities, where do you guys usually shoot? Generally I go to the indoor pistol range in Burnsville (www.bvpistol.com) , which is a nice facility, but for doing stuff with a carbine leaves a little to be desired in terms of the range you can shoot at

hazmat25
07-13-10, 19:17
E. St Paul here. looking for some training diversity

Just_Plain_T.
08-04-10, 08:45
Sorry I'm (very) late to the party, but Twin Cities here as well.

I used to lurk here more, but dropped off for a while. I'm back.

brickbd
08-09-10, 00:37
Those of you that have attended a DE course... Worth the money?

hazmat25
08-09-10, 03:11

If they still have the same instructors VERY worth it IMO.I know 2 of them PM me if you want info

Hmac
08-09-10, 14:21

I just did Urban Tactics I a week ago. Definitely worth it IMHO.

brickbd
08-11-10, 17:14
Thanks!

Celticmarksman
10-19-11, 08:57
Up here in the north country about the only shoots that are available are the ones we set up ourselves. Which happen to be the best.

Does anyone know of any training opportunities north of, say , hinckley?

Hmac
10-19-11, 14:29
In the last 12 months or so, there have been a Larry Vickers pistol course, a Louis Awerbuck pistol course, and two Trident Concepts courses with Jeff Gonzales (Combative Carbine 1 and Combative Carbine 2) in Brainerd.

Huldra128
02-12-12, 21:01
Tricon will be back this next October 9-11.

Celticmarksman
02-13-12, 08:43
What is "Tricon"?

Hmac
02-13-12, 09:40
What is "Tricon"?

Trident Concepts

Huldra128
02-13-12, 11:12
www.tridentconcepts.com. Jeff Gonzales is the owner of the company and former SEAL.

Dave-HuldraArms
02-13-12, 23:36
Mike (Huldra128) sets up some of the best training in the country and hosts it right here in MN in the Brainerd area. Some of the trainers, as mentioned, are truly top tier and I highly recommend them.

If someone is interested in local training, Brainerd area, or around MN. We offer handgun, AR, and shotgun classes. Classes vary from one day, to broken down 3 hour blocks on weekday nights to try and meet people schedules. Not trying to come here a "shamelessly plug" us but throwing it out there. If you would like more info please pm or email me. Some other members here have been through the classes, and if they are willing, they could share unbiased reviews.

Thanks,
Dave

Hmac
02-14-12, 10:44
Mike (Huldra128) sets up some of the best training in the country and hosts it right here in MN in the Brainerd area. Some of the trainers, as mentioned, are truly top tier and I highly recommend them.

If someone is interested in local training, Brainerd area, or around MN. We offer handgun, AR, and shotgun classes. Classes vary from one day, to broken down 3 hour blocks on weekday nights to try and meet people schedules. Not trying to come here a "shamelessly plug" us but throwing it out there. If you would like more info please pm or email me. Some other members here have been through the classes, and if they are willing, they could share unbiased reviews.

Thanks,
Dave

My unbiased review is that Dave's courses are excellent. And I shot next to him at TriCon Combative Carbine II. It was highly demoralizing. He was one of two (out of 20) that scored high enough to pass the course.

I hadn't thought about a shotgun class Dave. I'll have to see if I can go dig out my old Mossberg. And I know a couple of doctors that have some pretty fancy Benellis.

Dave-HuldraArms
02-15-12, 01:19
My unbiased review is that Dave's courses are excellent. And I shot next to him at TriCon Combative Carbine II. It was highly demoralizing. He was one of two (out of 20) that scored high enough to pass the course.

I hadn't thought about a shotgun class Dave. I'll have to see if I can go dig out my old Mossberg. And I know a couple of doctors that have some pretty fancy Benellis.

Thanks for the feedback Hmac, would love to have you and the Docs in a shotty class. I have some loaners too.

We have basic AR coming up in June, give you a deal if you want to come back for a refresh. Also some IDR (instinctive defensive rifle) some in the works for alumni, and IDS 3 on the schedule for the summer. Cool stuff in the works, would love to have you back.

Always a pleasure!
Thanks
Dave

8mmMauser
02-17-12, 09:53
Would anyone here be interested in a SouthNarc/Shivworks ECQC course this summer? I've been looking into hosting one, although thus far have not had any luck in finding a range to host it. Perhaps those of you in Brainerd might be willing to help with the range?

helothar
02-17-12, 12:03
Would anyone here be interested in a SouthNarc/Shivworks ECQC course this summer? I've been looking into hosting one, although thus far have not had any luck in finding a range to host it. Perhaps those of you in Brainerd might be willing to help with the range?

if I'm not able to do the Awerbuck course I'd be interested

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

wilco423
02-17-12, 12:38
I'd be very interested in the Southnarc course, depending on dates.

8mmMauser
02-17-12, 13:07
I'd be very interested in the Southnarc course, depending on dates.

I talked to Craig and he said August would be best for him. Haven't nailed down any final date yet, but I imagine it could be arranged to be a different weekend than the Awerbuck course.

Huldra128
02-17-12, 18:59
Hey guys,

I would love to help out. I would just need to lock down a range. I have 3 options. 1st is the range that belongs to the county(Im not real happy about the situation with that so Id rather use a different one). 2nd option is a range north of Brainerd about 20 minutes. I would have to talk with Dave from Huldra arms to check into that one. We are gonna use that range for the Awerbuck course. The 3rd option would be on my private range(actually my dads range) but it is about 45 minutes from Brainerd. It is 15 minutes north of Crosby. My only concern with a class being held on a private range is liability insurance.

Also I would need to know the specifics of the course.

Thanks,

Mike

Bigkrackers
02-17-12, 19:56
We have basic AR coming up in June

I'm just outside the metro - In EP.

I will have my first AR by then and would be interested in this class. What site do I go to for requirements, price, dates/times, etc.?

Thanks.

Hmac
02-17-12, 23:10
Hey guys,

I would love to help out. I would just need to lock down a range. I have 3 options. 1st is the range that belongs to the county(Im not real happy about the situation with that so Id rather use a different one). 2nd option is a range north of Brainerd about 20 minutes. I would have to talk with Dave from Huldra arms to check into that one. We are gonna use that range for the Awerbuck course. The 3rd option would be on my private range(actually my dads range) but it is about 45 minutes from Brainerd. It is 15 minutes north of Crosby.

Interesting.

Huldra128
02-18-12, 06:59

I will have my first AR by then and would be interested in this class. What site do I go to for requirements, price, dates/times, etc.?

Thanks.

Bigkrackers(I love saying that),

Go to timmtraining.com for contact information. Otherwise send him a PM. I will be seeing Dave either today or tomorrow. I will let him know as well.

Mike

Bigkrackers
02-18-12, 08:17
Thanks Mike. Will do.

8mmMauser
02-18-12, 11:03
Mike,

I sent you a PM.

Dave-HuldraArms
02-18-12, 13:44

Thanks.

Hi there,

The tentative date is now May 5th for basic AR with another planned for early September. There could be another in the summer pending interest and demand.

Look forward to getting in touch with you for the info.
Thanks, Dave

gp55445
06-05-12, 05:49
There's a tactical shotgun class on 9/8 in Monticello. Steve Quill is the instructor if anyone is interested.

Hmac
06-16-12, 07:20
Kudos to HuldraArms (https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=49230) and Dave-HuldraArms (https://www.m4carbine.net/member.php?u=49480)for their work on the upcoming Mills Fleet Farm Shooting and Archery center in Brainerd/Baxter. Seems to me to be a better use of the building than the bowling alley that was there before. I'm only on the outside looking in but I'm excited to have a state-of-the-art 50 yard indoor shooting range 15 minutes from my house. Hopefully this will allow Dave to start running some additional training courses by taking Minnesota winter weather out of the equation. I can only imagine what this will do to my annual ammo budget.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/476198_346782005388026_1515922514_o.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/534398_367918933274333_69050617_n.jpg

maindish
02-04-13, 01:19
Hey folks,
I am a new M4C member and a very active shooter/builder/reloader in the south metro.

I'd like to put a feeler out to see what kind of activities might be available to us in the south metro area.
Some thoughts/questions:

Has anyone attended any classes at Sealed Mindset? I was just made aware of them as they are donating some instruction to a charity auction that a friend is organizing. Any thoughts on the value of there offerings are welcome.

Does anyone know of any long-range shooting opportunity within an hour of the south metro?
I used to be about to get out to 600yds with the AR-10 in 7mm-08, which was great practice. Unfortunately my buddy's dad just built a house right in the middle. I have 6.5 Grendel and 338LM projects planned and I'd sure like to be able to stretch it out. In fact I owned a 338 and sold it due to lack of opportunity to 1000 or beyond.

Lastly, how realistic do you think it might be to form a "club" of some sort to allow people to share the burden of a location and steel targets perhaps? I'm semi-actively looking for an accommodating landowner that might be interested in a lease.

Take care, and be sure to write your state rep this week. We are NOT New York, Chicago, California, or DC and we don't want to be!

FJ540MN
02-04-13, 02:56
Caribou Gun club is about an hour south of town, and they have 600yds advertised. It's kind of a pain to shoot there though, since all the ranges shoot from the same bench, so you have to cease fire and wait for people to walk out and back if they're doing long distance and you're not. My buddy shoots down there often, and says mid-week he's often there alone. The one time I was there, there was at least 10 people, so it was a bit more of an ordeal to be doing zeroing without a spotting scope.

Then there's Harris an hour north which goes up to 1K, but I've never shot there.

Hmac
02-04-13, 07:19
In case you're not aware, Minnesota Gun Talk is a reasonably good forum with lots of resources for Minnesota shooters.

http://www.mnguntalk.com/

maindish
02-04-13, 13:30
Thanks fellas, I'll get involved in that.
I didn't know anything about either of those ranges before.

Write your legislators today!

kevN
02-04-13, 20:45
I'm also in the cities as well. I tend to try and do my training in the winter just to get to go someplace warm and shoot.

I'm a member at GRRC in Harris (about an hour north) and shoot a lot of handgun indoor at Burnsville pistol range in the winter (though this year had to deal with Bill's more than I'd like because of the fire at bvpistol).

maindish
02-05-13, 04:19
I'm also in the cities as well. I tend to try and do my training in the winter just to get to go someplace warm and shoot.

I'm a member at GRRC in Harris (about an hour north) and shoot a lot of handgun indoor at Burnsville pistol range in the winter (though this year had to deal with Bill's more than I'd like because of the fire at bvpistol).

I tried to find info on the Harris range online with no success. Could you point me in the right direction?

Btw, I live about 1.5mi from BPR, but I confess that I went to the evil empire (price Gouger Mountain) during the fire rebuild. I can't stand to shoot rifle indoors at 47yd though. I suppose I could maybe practice instinctive shooting with a 10/22 or something.

FJ540MN
02-05-13, 06:08
Rifle range harris mn pulls up: https://www.facebook.com/grrcfb

Google only works if you use it. ;)

kevN
02-05-13, 11:34
I tried to find info on the Harris range online with no success. Could you point me in the right direction?

Btw, I live about 1.5mi from BPR, but I confess that I went to the evil empire (price Gouger Mountain) during the fire rebuild. I can't stand to shoot rifle indoors at 47yd though. I suppose I could maybe practice instinctive shooting with a 10/22 or something.

Grrc.org is the website.

maindish
02-06-13, 15:13
Rifle range harris mn pulls up: https://www.facebook.com/grrcfb

Google only works if you use it. ;)

That's true, but Bing is perhaps more consistent in that it doesn't work whether or not you use it.

I'm defaulted to Bing on my work PC and too lazy to change it. And no, GRRG did not come up.
I just got results for Bullseye Range and Self Storage- what a handy combo! Is it just a traditional indoor pistol range?

LightningFast
04-02-13, 15:40
Student in Dinkytown here.

Thankfully I have some friends with a lot of land just outside of the cities to shoot on. I haven't found a range that I like in the area, though -admittedly- I haven't tried very hard.

Hank6046
11-19-14, 22:24
Bump, big huge bump. Been here for awhile, just want to know if anyone with in an hour of the cities knows where to shoot with out a membership?

LightningFast
11-20-14, 22:09
Bump, big huge bump. Been here for awhile, just want to know if anyone with in an hour of the cities knows where to shoot with out a membership?

It is definitely a membership place, but check out Pine Island. Their membership is cheap, and their facility is amazing. I really loved that place. That alone makes me sad to have moved out of Minnesota.

I think a year membership was $75.