PDA

View Full Version : Magpul Quadstack Magazine - patent filed

ForTehNguyen
06-08-10, 09:55
appears a patent was filed for a quad stack magazine. Follower is variable geometry which folds out when in the quad stack portion of the mag and folds back in in the double stack portion. Wonder how this will turn out. Speculated that it holds 50 rounds. If it works good, might be fun to have a couple :o

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/06/08/magpuls-quad-stack-magazine/

Magpul has just filed a patent application (#20100126053) for a quad stack AR-15 compatible magazine.

The design is quite straight forward. A central partition separates two duel staggered round stacks. Two springs are used, a lower stronger spring and a weaker top spring, which are joined by spring slicer.

The magazine has a constant curve geometry. Interestingly, the transition area (16) is asymmetric in order to stagger rounds correctly.

The follower is very interesting. Two bails (58a and 58b) are spring loaded. When the follower is pushed against the central partition they part and reveal a hole which allows the follower to descend below the partition.

The patent does not reveal what the capacity of the magazine would be. I would expect it would be around 50 rounds.

The patent application comes on the heel of the announcement from Izmash that one of the major features of the AK-200 will be a 60 round quad stack magazine. It seems 2010 or 2011 may be the Year of the Quad Stack Mag!

A quad stack magazine would be ideal for the M27 IAR. I have no doubt that Magpul will eyeing a lucrative contract with the USMC.

You can read the full patent after the jump.

http://cdn1.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tmp_magpul_quad_magazine-tfb.jpg http://cdn1.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tmp_follower-tfb.jpg

Dos Cylindros
06-08-10, 10:04
Well that is very interesting. I hope it works, but knowing Magpul it probably will. Hard to keep anything a secret now days.

skyugo
06-08-10, 10:04
if they end up actually producing it, i'm sure it'll work.

kinda neat.

cbyrd556
06-08-10, 10:57
Oh great another Magpul product for me to daydream about. I have to say the guys at Magpul really try to outdo themselves at every turn. If they can make it as reliable as the Pmags, then sign me up. Thanks for the post ForTehNguyen, it is appreciated.

4thPointOfContact
06-08-10, 11:15
""Dueling"" magazine followers. :eek:

Aside from saying duel instead of dual, it was a pretty good article. Now if they would only bring that 20-round pump shotgun to market.

msr
06-08-10, 11:54
I'm gonna need new mag pouches!

StrikeFace
06-08-10, 12:14
Hmmm... this kinda reminds me of the quad stack magazines used on the Spectre M4 9mm SMG. I'd be happy to see this in the future; it'd make a great starter mag.

Slinger646
06-08-10, 12:35
Looks like the AK74 Quad Stack....

Moose-Knuckle
06-08-10, 12:43
Looks like the AK74 Quad Stack....

LOL I was just about to say the same thing...

BufordTJustice
06-08-10, 12:51
I REALLY hope this works as well as the P-MAG. This would be perfect for home defense usage on standby. 50 rounds of GTFO on hand w/out a mag coupler or redi-mag.

Velcro
06-08-10, 12:56
This design of a magazine has been done before...the AK & the other one that comes to mind (that I cant remember the name) is a pistol type weapon that has this same set up, only in 9mm.

One of the latest topics w/ the M27-IAR is the magazine delivery system that they will use. The C-BETA is the most obvious choice, but if you have ever had one, you know how they are, but I think that this type of mag would only prove positive in the success of the M27, as well as for everyone else....

hell, I know I will get a "few..." (wink, wink)

Velcro

Moose-Knuckle
06-08-10, 12:57
I could see the Marines contracting these for their new HK IARs.

FMJ556
06-08-10, 13:03
These should come with a digital $ counter on side... ;)

Neo Mara
06-08-10, 13:38
Not suprised. The first time I read about the IAR my first thought was Magpul better get cracking on a quad stack. I know the AK74 quads suffered significant teething problems but I trust Magpul will get these running right. Can't wait till the Marine Corps gets their fill and they start making their way to us.

m4fun
06-08-10, 14:15
Looks like a Suomi(sp?) coffin magazine - very cool for a SAW/IAR role, and if more resilant than the Beta mags...

More magpul to buy.

Will it work with a Redimag? Who cares.

TriumphRat675
06-08-10, 14:23
I know the AK74 quads suffered significant teething problems but I trust Magpul will get these running right.

What kind of teething problems did the AK74 quads have? Were they a similar design? Glancing at the patent (with all my years of mechanical training I received with my liberal arts degree) it looks like those spring-loaded bails might be susceptible to getting clogged up with debris.

OnPointFirearms
06-08-10, 14:46
Very very cool. Magpul keeps pushing the envelope!

DTHN2LGS
06-08-10, 15:14
There must be something in the air at Magpul's location that feeds their imaginations to come up with all of these cool products.

Keep 'em coming! :D

Belmont31R
06-08-10, 15:16
Maybe its the plumes of pot smoke coming from nearby Boulder with all the hippies....:D Hopefully Magpul isn't downwind..

Boss Hogg
06-08-10, 15:17
LOL I was just about to say the same thing...

If it's close, does the US Patent Office grant patents to a design that's very similar to something that's already been released somewhere else in the world? (The EU patent office does not IIRC)

MarkG
06-08-10, 16:03
Why? Another happy meal toy from Magpul...

Neo Mara
06-08-10, 16:17
What kind of teething problems did the AK74 quads have? Were they a similar design? Glancing at the patent (with all my years of mechanical training I received with my liberal arts degree) it looks like those spring-loaded bails might be susceptible to getting clogged up with debris.

They had durability problems and started having reliability problems with age (springs maybe?). I wouldn't expect either from Magpul. Not sure if the Ruskies got theirs sorted out. Its been since I've looked and info is hard to come by. One advantage the 74 quad has over an AR15 quad is the 74 mag is able to stay quad stack almost all the way to the top due to a lack of mag well.

If it's close, does the US Patent Office grant patents to a design that's very similar to something that's already been released somewhere else in the world? (The EU patent office does not IIRC)

74 mag is a bit different. Even if they were filled to the same office I would guess each would get their own patent.

Dos Cylindros
06-08-10, 17:51

Because if it ain't colt, it ain't s#$&t :rolleyes:

opmike
06-08-10, 17:53

What are the other happy meal toys you're referencing?

Cagemonkey
06-08-10, 18:19
Cool. There was an Italian 9mm SMG that used a similar type magazine back in the 80's. Spectre M4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_M4

Keesh
06-08-10, 18:53
They had durability problems and started having reliability problems with age (springs maybe?). I wouldn't expect either from Magpul. Not sure if the Ruskies got theirs sorted out. Its been since I've looked and info is hard to come by. One advantage the 74 quad has over an AR15 quad is the 74 mag is able to stay quad stack almost all the way to the top due to a lack of mag well.
The AK-200 will be coming with 60 round quad stacked mags. They have been demoed and appear to have all the problems worked out.

Cool. There was an Italian 9mm SMG that used a similar type magazine back in the 80's. Templar might know.
That would be a Spectre M4.

Cagemonkey
06-08-10, 19:00
The AK-200 will be coming with 60 round quad stacked mags. They have been demoed and appear to have all the problems worked out.

That would be a Spectre M4.Just found it on wikipedia and did an edit to my post.

Pumpkinheaver
06-08-10, 19:43
I'll try one when it comes out, why not. New toys are fun!!!

JSantoro
06-08-10, 22:38

Versus 30- and 40-round mags of any make and those 3000 Miles to Graceland snail-drum abortions as an ammo source for the IAR? Not only yeah, but f**k yeah, it's got merit.

Are you suggesting a viable alternative? Because if you're not, what's to distinguish your above from all of your oher nigh-unsupportable snarking from behind a screen-name because you think it's cool?

We get it. If it's not from Colt, you don't like it. If it's Magpul, it's not Colt, so you don't like it. Get a new gimmick, already, or at least use the shoddy one you have to submit something with meat on it's bones.

500grains
06-09-10, 03:26
I REALLY hope this works as well as the P-MAG. This would be perfect for home defense usage on standby. 50 rounds of GTFO on hand w/out a mag coupler or redi-mag.

Do you have any idea what it would cost to fix the drywall after letting loose with that?

BufordTJustice
06-09-10, 06:11
Do you have any idea what it would cost to fix the drywall after letting loose with that?

I'd be more worried about the carpet in the next room. But I got a guy.... ;)

Submariner
06-09-10, 06:25

Scratching the Redi-Mag off the buy list....

infidelprodigy
06-09-10, 07:44
Calm down guys, with Magpul's track record for R&D and working the kinks out of a product before it gets made available to the public, don't expect to see this thing for a few years. Remember, the Iphone case was supposed to be out by now? Drake, Justin, and the rest of the guys there are methodical and will ensure the best product is brought to market when it is ready, demand be damned.

NCPatrolAR
06-09-10, 08:10
Scratching the Redi-Mag off the buy list....

Why would you do that?

caelumatra
06-09-10, 08:28
I was hoping they'd eventually make a drum magazine to use with the IAR and we could all reap the benifit of it, but this may just tide me over :D

ForTehNguyen
06-09-10, 08:31
I think for this thing to be viable it needs to be a 60 rnd. Needs to have capacity of 2 mags.

Moose-Knuckle
06-09-10, 08:31
Why would you do that?

I think he's hinting that he will get the quad stack PMAGs which will negate the coupling of two 30 round PMAGs.

NCPatrolAR
06-09-10, 08:42
I think he's hinting that he will get the quad stack PMAGs which will negate the coupling of two 30 round PMAGs.

Yeah; I got that impression too. I'm seeking clarification on why he is thinking that. Is a mag that holds 60 rounds truely a better option for a carbine? Would a gun with a Redi-Mag be more versatile?

I can see where this new mag can fill a certain niche; but I think some people are going to latch on to this when it might not be the best fit for them.

RogerinTPA
06-09-10, 09:18
Yeah; I got that impression too. I'm seeking clarification on why he is thinking that. Is a mag that holds 60 rounds truely a better option for a carbine? Would a gun with a Redi-Mag be more versatile?

I can see where this new mag can fill a certain niche; but I think some people are going to latch on to this when it might not be the best fit for them.

Agreed. Depends on your mission. Needs VS Wants. There is always a trade off. Unless you are a IAR gunner, 3 gun guy, or planning on using your weapon as a pseudo MG for home defense, the thought of lugging more than one of these new mags around escapes me. As a AR owner, I'd rather stay with a system (Redi-Mag or Not) I'm used to, gear to support it's use, and has commonality with my other similar systems.

Chameleox
06-09-10, 09:23

I agree with this line of thinking. I keep a redi-mod on my duty gun. Its not there so much for the added capacity. I like that I can swap mags very quickly in the event that I have to strip a magazine.
With the Magpul Monster Mag, one can conceivably have a malfunction on round #3 (I know they make good stuff, but shit still happens), and you're done.
For a lot of people reading this, the wisdom of having a spare mag somewhere rings very true, but isn't always a reality when things go bump in the night, or when you have to bail out of your car quickly and forget to put on your bail out bag or vest (again, shit happens).
Magpul uber magazine loaded to, say, 40 or 60 rounds
vs
2X 20s or 2X 30s in a redi mod
The redi-modded mags give me just as much ammo, with the ability to dump a bad magazine and still have a reload if I'm stuck with only what's on my long gun.

Will it be a great product when it comes out? Knowing Magpul, I'm sure it will be. For a role like the IAR, I'm sure it will be great. I just don't think it will work as well for my needs. I'll still buy one though.

johnnychimpo
06-09-10, 09:29
Calm down guys, with Magpul's track record for R&D and working the kinks out of a product before it gets made available to the public, don't expect to see this thing for a few years. Remember, the Iphone case was supposed to be out by now? Drake, Justin, and the rest of the guys there are methodical and will ensure the best product is brought to market when it is ready, demand be damned.

X2. should be easier to make the iphone case work than the quadstack mag. But I do love Magpul goodies!

ForTehNguyen
06-09-10, 09:36
primary intent is for IARs obviously. But not having one wont stop be from buying a couple to mess around with if they are proven reliable :D

CCK
06-09-10, 09:39
Spare mags with a handgun are for magazine related failures more than more capacity.

I would suggest the redi-mag/mod is for a similar rationale

Chris

Moose-Knuckle
06-09-10, 09:52

Agreed, I for one have no use for such a mag but will obtain one for the mag collection if they become available.

Magic_Salad0892
06-09-10, 13:10
Redi-Mod + 2 Magpul IAR Magazines = No bad guys.

The marines should offer the maker of the Redi-Mod a contract. :cool:

Better yet: Offer KAC a contract for their Stoner LMG. That would be sweet. And the true M249 fix. But that's another topic for another day.

noops
06-09-10, 13:34
Seems like it'll be a while in concept and development, and even then a few years off from lots of real world feedback. Interesting idea though, and neat in the engineering sense. Since Magpul always offer early ones to users for early feedback, I volunteer now...

NCPatrolAR
06-09-10, 17:03
Let me put the mod hat on for a few:

If you have an issue with someone; let one of the mods know and we will take care of it. Try to take the high road and refrain from going on a verbal tirade against the person. One of us will handle the issue ASAP.

Let's get back to talking about the new magazine please. I've already removed several posts and sent out at least one infraction. If it continues more infractions will be handed out.

Thanks

ForTehNguyen
06-10-10, 10:03
here is some data on the AK74 quad stack:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/06/10/the-ak-74-60-round-magazine/

Pumpkinheaver
06-10-10, 16:08
Are they gonna produce these or is it just a concept?

sammage
06-10-10, 16:17
Are they gonna produce these or is it just a concept?

So far it's just a patent they're filing. Time will tell.

they
06-11-10, 00:26
This thread is relevant to my interests :D

Chuck TX
06-11-10, 00:59
Definitely looks interesting. Wonder how long it'll take them to hash it out.

Jake Bauer
06-11-10, 01:44
hollly crap! Thats awesome.

If we still are allowed to have ARs in a few years when these come out, I'll get a couple. This will really piss off the gun controllists..

karandom
06-11-10, 19:16
Would the added weight of the extra 20 rounds stress the magazine catch to possible failure?

JSantoro
06-11-10, 19:37
For all it's other woes and idiosyncricies, the mag catch on the gun is about the only thing those Beta Mag C-mags don't gank up, and those things are 100 rounds ea. More than 2x the weight

Other 40(+)rnd ammo sources have existed prior to those and this, and they don't do anything to the mag catch.

Pretty unlikely that'll be a problem. Not impossible, but not really in the realm.

Curare
06-11-10, 21:13
Would the added weight of the extra 20 rounds stress the magazine catch to possible failure?

Nope.

Curare
06-11-10, 21:25
Grit affecting rotation of 58a/58b has to be a serious weak point--in the mag body transition and where they are hinged.

Pumpkinheaver
06-11-10, 23:28
Hopefully they can get these in the stores soon. I like new toys!!!

karandom
06-11-10, 23:40
For all it's other woes and idiosyncricies, the mag catch on the gun is about the only thing those Beta Mag C-mags don't gank up, and those things are 100 rounds ea. More than 2x the weight

Other 40(+)rnd ammo sources have existed prior to those and this, and they don't do anything to the mag catch.

Pretty unlikely that'll be a problem. Not impossible, but not really in the realm.

Awesome to hear. As long as this mag feeds properly we'll be good to go then.

parapyropig
06-13-10, 07:52
After all, it's Magpul... I expect wildly different polymer goodness to come forth from their forges.:D

Two of these will replace the four spares I have in my OSK/BOB/WDEK (Worst Day Ever Kit).

Beautiful concept - more rounds, less weapons manipulation needed under fire.

ForTehNguyen
06-25-10, 08:44
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/06/25/russian-60-round-quad-stack-5-45x39mm-magazine/

some pics of the 5.45mm quad stack.

Why do I keep thinking about a Burger King Quad Stacker when I go into this thread :confused:

ghostman1960
06-25-10, 11:48
Very intersting. I will have to get one when they come out.

Fireman1291
06-25-10, 17:42
Ill grab two of them for the gear bag:D

organdonor
06-25-10, 19:30
Whew... now I can halt work on mating a redimag to my redimag; damn thing just wasn't helping me put lead down the tube quick enough.

M76F
06-30-10, 04:12
So what's the deal with the AK74 quad stack? If it actually worked, wouldn't they be in wide use by now, or at least some use? I've seen the pictures from Russia but I would think that some would have found their way over here. If you look hard enough you can find practically any Russian AK stuff, but I have seriously never seen a quad stack mag for sale.

ForTehNguyen
06-30-10, 07:36
they are rare, someone was selling one for $900 on gunbroker the other day

Jdubya101
07-01-10, 02:52
Well there goes more job bonus money!:D

petergun870
07-01-10, 20:29
Will be buying a couple of those they will probly be released in 10 years since magpul takes forever to release things. Great stuff though