PDA

View Full Version : Covering Comp With Handguard

Joeywhat
06-08-10, 17:23
Is it safe/smart/not a problem to 'cover' a compensator or flash hider with a free float tube? Basically I mean have a free float tube like the VTAC extreme end right at or just before the very tip of the compensator, this covering it up more or less.

Will this make the comp less effective, or cause damage to the comp or tube? Long story short I like long handguards and want a short rifle...so I'm going to try and minimize the amount of barrel/comp sticking out past the handguard as much as possible. I'm planning on either an 11.5" or 12.5" barrel with battle comp/FSC556 and VTAC extreme 13" rail. I've seen this done with a flaming pig before, but that doesn't have gasses shooting out the sides...

mark5pt56
06-08-10, 18:12
I would be more concerned with making your fingers and hand less effective. Myself I would go no longer than a 9" on the 11.5 and 10" on the 12.5. If you want a longer HG-get a longer barrel, what would the point of a 11.5 barrel and 13/14" tube?

opmike
06-08-10, 18:13
If you value your hands and/or your rail, pass.

Joeywhat
06-08-10, 18:18
I would most likely be going with a 12.5" barrel, plus add the length of the comp to that.

PlatoCATM
06-08-10, 18:56
I have considered a long HG and a short barrel, but not covering the flash hider. Personally, I was thinking a DD FSP rail with a 12.5" barrel and running a surefire x300 in front of the FSB. I don't know it would also be a problem to run something like the battle comp with this set up, that is, if it would hurt me or the light.

If anyone has photos of a set up like this one please post them.

mark5pt56
06-08-10, 19:58
Pics from BCM---again, if you value your hands and fingers------------

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-12-Upper-Receiver-Group-s/129.htm