THCDDM4
06-17-10, 08:59
Yep, I'm here!

Obiwan
06-17-10, 09:29
Sometimes...which stinks because that is where my house is:(

Rated21R
06-17-10, 09:41
Although I am presently in Utah, I spend enough time at the parents house in Colorado Springs/Monument and I was born and raised there so I am a "greenie" at heart. :D

THCDDM4
06-17-10, 10:21
Anyone know of a good free/cheap range near Denver that isn't too far, or too crowded? I live just south of Denver near Littleton. I will be sure to clean up meticulously and be respectible of others. If someone knows of a private place that requires memebership fees I would be interested int hat as well, but only if the fees are reasonable and it is close enough. I am a lone shooter so if you are worried I will bring a gang of guys, I won't, and I will however keep the spot clandestine if you wish it of me; I just want a good place to shoot that isn't so busy and expensaive, and doesn't have abbrassive people running their mouths constantly, shooting for me is relaxation and training time, not a time to argue with a range officer aboutmy specific shooting style. I shoot how I shoot and am not looking for instruction, I would seek that out if I wanted it; I want a nice laid back place to shoot where people don't run their mouths and just let people be. I shoot pistol rifle and shotty. I'm looking for ranges more off the beaten path.
Any help is much appreciated!

MarshallDodge
06-17-10, 14:19
There is a "range" out near Pine Junction/Buffalo Creek that I go to when I visit Colorado. Looking at the satellite view on Google maps I believe the GPS coords are: 39.329805,-105.251503

It was open when I went there last July.

It is about 75 yards, good for pistol and short range carbine practice.

THCDDM4
06-18-10, 08:15
Marshalldodge:
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. Just an open range? Any fees or anything like that?
Thanks again.

MarshallDodge
06-18-10, 12:13
Marshalldodge:
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. Just an open range? Any fees or anything like that?
Thanks again.
There is little gravel road off of the main road that leads to an open area about 400 yards in. I believe the area is BLM land. There are no fees or range officers and you will probably be sharing it with other folks so you will have to call your own cease fire, etc.

It has a really good backstop (side of a big hill) but other than that you are on your own and will have to bring your own target stands, targets, shooting bench, etc. You can bring pretty much whatever you want to shoot at but please clean up when you are done. I hate walking through broken glass, or any other junk that the previous shooter left behind, when trying to setup a target.

THCDDM4
06-18-10, 12:21
Right on, that sounds exactly what I am looking for. I always clean-up after myself, I'm so sick of slobs and lazy people ruining it for the rest of us respectible guys. Clutter is the biggest reason most free ranges get shut down, people get sick of the constant trash and complain enough to have the place off limits, SOme of my favorite ranges went south due to lazy people who wouldn't pick up there crap, and just brought hoards of it in. I cleaned up as much of it as I coul dfit in my car, but it was always too much to do anything about. Wish people were accountable for their actions in this day and age.

THCDDM4
06-24-10, 09:06
Anyone know of a good carbine class/teacher in colorado? Looking for a class on the weekends only, and taught by someone who is very knowledgable in the M4/AR/M16 world; no fake weekend warriors.
Thanks in advance!

chavez_e_chavez
06-24-10, 09:40
Sep 4-6 Dynamic Carbine 1
Dynamic Carbine 2 River's Edge Outdoor Range, Pueblo CO

Magpul dynamics will be in pueblo...

http://www.magpuldynamics.com/training/schedule.shtml

THCDDM4
06-24-10, 10:24
Thanks Chavez, I'll check it out!

THCDDM4
06-24-10, 12:32
I am looking for a respectable gunsmith near Denver (South Denver preferred). My wifes S&W Chiefs special decided to stop shooting double action after recent day at the range:(, and I cannot figure it out.
Any help/suggestions are very appreciated.
I am looking for someone who does EXCELLENT work, and is S&W armorer cerified; or if not he need have a lot of years behind him in the gunsmith business.
This is my wifes primary carry piece, so I don't care how much it cost to get it 100%.
Thanks!

RancidSumo
06-24-10, 15:10
Half Colorado and half Wyoming here. I'll be in Golden starting this August.

LonghunterCO
06-24-10, 16:58
Here, up above Colorado Springs.

Blowby
06-26-10, 11:12
Another member in CO.

Dozer
06-27-10, 13:40
I am looking for a respectable gunsmith...

Try Rob Bonacci. He works part time at Bowers Tactical off of Arapahoe and I-25. Send me a PM if you want Rob's contact info.

LonghunterCO
06-27-10, 13:46
Sep 4-6 Dynamic Carbine 1
Dynamic Carbine 2 River's Edge Outdoor Range, Pueblo CO

Magpul dynamics will be in pueblo...

http://www.magpuldynamics.com/training/schedule.shtml

I am signed up for that one.:D

hurley842002
06-27-10, 17:22
Another Colorado guy here. New to the forum and this is my first post. However i'm on several other Gun and Jeep forums, so some of you may or may not recognise my screename. Been shooting the AR variation of rifles for several years now, but just recently (little over a year ago) bought my own, and now i've become more interested in the higher end rifles and building my own, so here I am. Just got my BCM 14.5" Pinned upper in on Friday, so that is my current project. Looking forward to some good discussions.

LonghunterCO
06-27-10, 19:20
Welcome. A good group here.

THCDDM4
06-30-10, 11:09
So I am taking the wife camping for our anniversary. We are thinking of going up to Red Feather lakes and finding a secluded spot somewhere up there; however I have not been up there in about 10 years and when I went it was pretty secluded. Some family members have told me that it is way bussier now-a-days.
Anyone know of a very SECLUDED campsite in Colorado that is within about 6 hours drive from Denver (We are staying a night in Denver and Leaving from there).
Or can anyone confirm the claims that near red feather lakes is too busy now-a-days for secluded camping. OR confirm that there is still places to find up there that are secluded enough?
I never go to actual camp-sites, but find stuff off the beaten path and build a campsite up if I cannot find one secluded enough.

I just want some peace and quite with the wife on our anniversary, we are going to fish, hike, target shoot and cook a copious amount of food.

If someone knows a nice "Secret" spot and is willing to share (My lips are sealed; PM me if you so choose to share), I will keep it secret and be sure to clean it up meticulously.

I really want to see as few people as possible on this trip and any help from this site/Coloradoan's would be much appreciated.

The last time I went up to Red Feather you could find a nice secluded spot and never see another camper for days; anyone been there recently to confirm either way about it being busy/crowded?

Thanks in advance!

QuickStrike
06-30-10, 17:04
Would be sweet to have an open range somewhere without lanes. Somewhere to shoot on the move, multiple targets set far apart, etc..

Anyone know of a place?

Obiwan
06-30-10, 19:43
Had one up near Allenspark but the screwups recently succeeded in getting it closed:(

Echoes
07-10-10, 19:05
Howdy! Golden/Lakewood here.

chavez_e_chavez
07-10-10, 20:34
Thanks Chavez, I'll check it out!

did u check it out???

THCDDM4
07-19-10, 13:36
did u check it out???

I found out I am out of town on thsoe dates so I am going to have to look into a future class. Thanks again for the info though; I really wish I could make it.

Just an update:
Plenty of secluded camping can still be found up north of red feather lakes. Just pick a far out dirt road and have fun digging in. We didn't see a soul for the week we were there. I heard a few trucks passing by, but no persons to be seen. It was beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QuickStrike
07-27-10, 21:04
Anybody got an HK45 or HK45C I can try out? Dunno if I should dump my M&Ps for them.

Ill pay for ammo or bring some of my blasters.

Jitterbug
09-04-10, 08:22
Long time transplant from the east coast now living in Littleton.

That impromptu range just south of Pine Junction looks like a possibility, I'll have to check it out soon. I've been looking for isolated places to shoot in the National Forest and that looks like it might be a good possible, its about 35 miles or so from the house. Thanks Marshall!

Otherwise I've had to find out of the way places off forest service roads, just east of Kenosha Pass, the closest is about 50-55 miles one way and there is always a concern with potential campers close by, not to mention being summer time locations only for the most part due to winter time snow and accessibility.

Pawnee is great place to shoot, especially in the winter if the snow is thin, but it's 130 miles one way minimum and makes for a long drive and sometime gamble on the snow/road conditions.

I prefer to shoot off the beaten path when at all possible. The wife and I along with a couple of shooting buddies like to play carbine and pistol course, running from 5-300 yards.

One of these day's I'd really like to get down to Pueblo if nothing else to just watch if that is possible.

Echoes
09-06-10, 10:20
South of Pine Junction offers a multitude of good spots, one in particular that my buddies and I enjoy quite a bit. Though this weekend we weren't the only ones with that opinion and had to find another spot.

Fried Chicken Blowout
09-06-10, 11:27
How in the world does anyone get into a MagPul class in Colorado. I've been watching the schedule for almost a year and they are listed as Full as soon as they pop up.

I'm taking a class from Front Range Training and Consulting. They are retired SF guys that do training for SWAT teams and SF units. They have just started offering civilian classes. Here's there "pro" website...

http://www.frontrangetraining.com/

Here's their civilian side...

http://www.coloccw.com/

I'm taking the Defensive Rifle class on Sept 25th. If anyone has any info about these guys please pass it along. If I get time, I'll do an AAR to post it up here.

THCDDM4
09-14-10, 09:26
So it's the second day of Beer week in Denver and the GABF kicks off Thursday. Hope anyone who wants to go has tickets; because they sold out months ago.
GABF is an amazing world class beer event (The largest beer event in the world with more beer under one roof than any other event) that is held every year at the convention center in downtown Denver; it is liquid poetry in motion and should be attended at least once by every true beer enthusiast.

This is my tenth year and I am just excited as I can be about it.

There are hundreds; yes hundreds of beer related events in Denver and the surrounding area all this week. Chekc one or more out if you love beer. THe food/beer pairings are sure to be fit for the most descriminating epicurist.

Check out:
http://www.denver.org/denverbeerfest/
and
http://www.greatamericanbeerfestival.com/
for more info and event listings.

Happy beer week!
Sláinte

THCDDM4
09-14-10, 09:30
How in the world does anyone get into a MagPul class in Colorado. I've been watching the schedule for almost a year and they are listed as Full as soon as they pop up.

I'm taking a class from Front Range Training and Consulting. They are retired SF guys that do training for SWAT teams and SF units. They have just started offering civilian classes. Here's there "pro" website...

http://www.frontrangetraining.com/

Here's their civilian side...

http://www.coloccw.com/

I'm taking the Defensive Rifle class on Sept 25th. If anyone has any info about these guys please pass it along. If I get time, I'll do an AAR to post it up here.

The day you posted this; was the final day of the magpul carbine 1 class in Pueblo. I belive the clkass was not quite full; as I was given a chance to sign up when others dropped out. I guess get on the Magpul site or call them often to see if there are openings/drop outs. I was gonna take someones place in the class over labor day, but I had to go out of town for work. They are hard to get in to, but worth it so just stay on top of them and you will get in to a class eventually.

Echoes
09-14-10, 10:07
GABF is an amazing world class beer event (The largest beer event in the world with more beer under one roof than any other event) that is held every year at the convention center in downtown Denver; it is liquid poetry in motion and should be attended at least once by every true beer enthusiast.

This is my tenth year and I am just excited as I can be about it.

I, too, am excited! This'll be my 4th year, hopefully with many more in the future. There's way too much to experience in just one night.

THCDDM4
09-14-10, 10:21
I, too, am excited! This'll be my 4th year, hopefully with many more in the future. There's way too much to experience in just one night.

The wife and I did all four sessions one year (ouch!); we were brain-dead for about a week after that. Now we just do the members only session.

About a month before GABF, I start feeling like a yound lad awaiting the opening of the newest candy shop in town:smile:

Echoes
09-14-10, 10:28
The wife and I did all four sessions one year (ouch!); we were brain-dead for about a week after that. Now we just do the members only session.

About a month before GABF, I start feeling like a yound lad awaiting the opening of the newest candy shop in town:smile:

All four?!? :eek: I'm still a young lad but don't think I could do that anymore. I would like to do the members only session, but holding off until I can convince some friends to join with me. Kid in a candy store is what it felt like to step onto that floor for the first time.

stenmon
09-30-10, 19:49
transplant from S Fla now in Western CO. Lots of great places to shoot out here.

THCDDM4
10-13-10, 11:44
It is fall, and I absolutely love it. Nice cool evenings/mornings with beautifully warm colorful days in between. Fall is always the opening of my brewing season (I brew all year round, but fall-winter is when I get 90% of it done; due to temperature issues whilst fermenting) and I have been busy as hell this year with all the different brews, wines, meads, ciders, and what not I have fermenting/brewing/plans for.

Great time to go shooting as well, nice crisp clean air and less people out and about than usual.

I love fall in the Rockies so much.:cool:

Echoes
10-13-10, 12:49
I agree, though now that I can't afford to run up to Winter Park every weekend I look forward to the snow a bit less :p. Brewing does ease that pain though, or maybe its the products of that activity that do the trick!

THCDDM4
10-26-10, 17:01
A month or so back I brewed a beer in honor of my M4C bretheren. It is named "Second Amendment Extra Bitter Pale Ale". Seeing as how I am extra bitter about the infringement of our 2A rights.

I donated (2) five gallon kegs to the local VFW for the vets to wet their whistles with during a food/clothing drive. It was well received to say the least.

I am wondering if anyone here has any ideas of what I could do to benefit this site or its members?
If anyone in Colorado is going to have a fund raiser or a drive for a local cause, please let me know and I can possibly donate some refreshments to the cause. Please PM me if you have any info/ideas.

Thanks & Slainte!

skyugo
10-26-10, 17:09
hey... just checkin in...

colt45irish
11-01-10, 17:29
Yo Guys! Ft Collins/Greeley Guy Here. Whats up?

Ridge_Runner_5
11-04-10, 13:48
I just discovered this forum:sarcastic:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
11-08-10, 15:11
Im a Colorado native and resident but currently stationed in So Cal (ughhh). I'll be back in the Loveland/Greeley/Foco area from Dec 20-28 if anyone wants to go shoot.

WBAR
01-02-11, 17:32
We've got a great public range which DOW & NRA jointly deserve credit. I get there about once a week. We have several pistol ranges and a terrific rifle range with metal animal targets out to 1000 yrds. If you come out to our range, enjoy it but be careful; someone recently burned down the target posts on one of the pistol ranges with (we think) a carelessly tossed butt. :) WB

maestro
01-02-11, 20:29
I'm in NoCO.
I don't get out shooting as often as I like... so if anyone in the area is headed out and doesn't mind some company - let me know, and I'll see if I can make it.
Use the email through this site.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-02-11, 20:48
We've got a great public range which DOW & NRA jointly deserve credit. I get there about once a week. We have several pistol ranges and a terrific rifle range with metal animal targets out to 800 or 1000 yrds. :) WB

Is this the Chaffee County Shooting Range that you are talking about? I've been wanting to get down there to shoot. Which direction do you shoot and is there a best time to shoot? Does it ever get busy? Hate to drive all the way from Denver and get skunked.

WBAR
01-06-11, 07:45
Yes, the CC range is where I shoot. It is about 10 miles north of Salida. As you enter the landfill, you take the road immediately to your left to enter the range area where there are signs directing you further. The rifle range faces east. Weekends get plenty busy, but otherwise you shouldn't have too much trouble.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-16-11, 00:42
Yes, the CC range is where I shoot. It is about 10 miles north of Salida. As you enter the landfill, you take the road immediately to your left to enter the range area where there are signs directing you further. The rifle range faces east. Weekends get plenty busy, but otherwise you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Thanks for the eyes on intel.

Tactical Joke
01-16-11, 09:59
Checking in. I'm a Georgia boy, but I'm being transferred to Denver in the next few weeks.

I've been asking a few co-workers where I can go do something besides sit at a bench and punch holes in paper... unfortunately, that's what most of them do.

crob1
05-26-11, 22:00
Checking in.

We love to go to the Chaffee County range! I also like the Pine Junction/Buffalo Creek "range". If anyone is heading to either one, shoot me a PM and maybe we can meet up.

jtav
11-25-11, 22:25
I see this is an old thread but been a member here for years and never post so this is my first. Hello:laugh:

spr1
04-23-12, 19:20
Bumping an old thread..... Any ranges near Ft. Collins where one can do action/practical shooting, both comps and free form practice (where you can run a hot range without getting grief)? Interested in both handgun and rifle (long range in particular).

Cylinder Head
05-11-12, 22:07
Just moved here fom NJ and can't wait to start filing out some BATF forms!

I'm in Denver, need some good places to shoot!

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-12-12, 08:59

Welcome! Be sure to get a trust or LLC, I'v never heard of the Denver CLEO signing off on fun forms. You don't have CCW in NJ do you? A lot different out here, near perfect CCW if you ask me.

Dravur
11-29-12, 18:01
Colorado Here, in Longmont Area.

Oddly enough, the Sheriff in Boulder signs off on anything, CCW, Suppressors, SBRs... I am going to do a SBS next.

Littlehendrick
12-01-12, 21:38
Fort Collins resident checking in. I spend time at the Front Range Gun Club in loveland or out to pawnee for pushing the rifles further out.

MAP
12-01-12, 21:52

I moved to Windsor in August '11. I love CO but, politically, it reminds me of NJ in the late 1980s.

Mike

maddawg5777
12-05-12, 17:28
Been in the springs for 6 years now. Colorado sure beats Cali, where I'm originally from.

SPQR476
12-05-12, 17:31
I'm here, of course. Longmont AO for home plate. Between longmont and Pueblo, the Dynamics crew will be active here in 2013.

will_be
12-05-12, 20:43
Greetings to you all. Most of you appear to be front range folk. I'm down here in the very, very dry SW corner.

Did I mention it was dry?

SPQR476
12-05-12, 22:19
You've got a lot less people, though. That's something. It ain't all that wet on the front range, either.

vitiaz
12-05-12, 22:27
I owe you & Drake a cold one at the Tasty Weasel...

-Bill

SPQR476
12-05-12, 22:39
Only if we get to buy a round afterwards!

vitiaz
12-13-12, 01:02
We usually head over there on Thursdays...stay in touch.

levik97
12-18-12, 23:21
I'm from Colorada! In a town that no one has heard about in the northeast corner by Sterling

Levi

BruceLeroy
12-30-12, 19:16
Another Springs dude here

Sticks
12-31-12, 06:12
Alive and well. Looking forward to the available training classes along the front range in 2013.

Like most of you, also looking for a guy who knows a guy that has property to do some real practice to keep up on what I paid $1k to learn near the Denver metro area - BLM land is scary, and damn difficult to get 100y or more.

@ - SPQR476 You offer discounts to active MIL? A buddy of mine in the NG who just bought his first AR, after talking with him I have found that by and large these brave boys and girls are woefully under trained in the platform, and it appears that their only option is to take a training class on their own time and dime.

I plan on passing some of what I have learned (what I feel qualified to teach - about 1/3 of what I paid to learn) on to him, but they (recruits in general) need more.

THCDDM4
01-18-13, 12:15
Pro 2A rally at the capitol tomorrow in Denver. BE THERE!

crob1
01-18-13, 17:32
My sons and I will be there!

Sticks
01-18-13, 17:42
A reminder to everyone attending -

Denver managed to keep it's own little set of rules on carry.

OC IS ILLEGAL!

There is no wording in any of the laws that define "concealed" - that is left to the interpretation of the LEO on site - ergo a Judge later down the road.

The Denver police and State police will be there and evidently anxious. As posted from another form I belong to -

As an update and reminder to anyone planning to attend this rally in Denver. The organizers are asking that no one carry a firearm at the rally. They are being told by Denver PD and the State Patrol that anyone that is caught with a firearm on the State Capitol property will be arrested. The actual legality of this is questionable, but part of the reason for these rallies are to put forward the true face of American gun owners and clashes with the police at this event, whether legal or illegal on their end, will not do our cause any good. If you are going to attend, please respect the wishes of the rally organizers as well as not giving the police or media any reason to but us in a bad light. Thanks!

UPDATE - An update to my update. The organizers are now saying concealed carry is legal and allowed on the state Capitol grounds per the Colorado State Police Captain he is working with. Just remember that open carry is still illegal in Denver so printing or accidentally showing your goods could be a real bad thing...especially on the grounds of the Capitol. So carry concealed if you like...just be even more diligent than you usually are. Thanks!

The Update "squared" may be in part of my challenging the first update as to the legality of the LEO arresting anyone with a gun, and where the Gun Free zone of the state capitol starts and ends.

Keep it covered, holster and all, no dick measuring or comparing toys. Even flashing is enough for Denver in the mood their in. So if you gotta raise your hand, don't use the one on your holster side.

Littlehendrick
01-24-13, 10:21
Heard the range finally opened this week. I know it is early, but anyone go/first impressions?

Considering taking my toys down next time I visit family in the Springs.

maddawg5777
01-30-13, 11:42
Heard the range finally opened this week. I know it is early, but anyone go/first impressions?

Considering taking my toys down next time I visit family in the Springs.

Every time I drive by it seems quite busy over there. I don't pay to shoot since the national forest is right here. Used to hit up dragon mans quite often till I got smart and did the math of 18 bucks for me and the wife to shoot, plus lame range rules and sketchy mall ninjas plus gas. I can drive up into the forest and back for about 5 bucks so that's 20 more dollars on ammo every time.

EricTheRed
02-07-13, 12:27
Been around for awhile but never posted in this section. Live in the Springs, Idaho Springs. Lucky enough to have access to the CCCSC, willing to share time there although my live fire has been reduced due to ammo shortages lately. Love the Chaffee County range as well. Hit it every time I visit friends in Salida.

I see there are some brewers here. Cheers, that's what I do for a living the past 15 years, although it's tapering off for some more financially rewarding endeavors.

BCmJUnKie
02-07-13, 12:31
If you ever pass through to Salida or anywhere south, look me up.

The range here is definatley worth checking out.

Its private and is member only but I can get a few people in

bkaufmann
03-21-13, 22:30
I currently live in Gunnison but will be moving in a little over a month to Edwards to go to school for there firefighter program.

anybody out that way??

Ben.

tommyrott
03-26-13, 20:05
another AR fiend in SW Co DGO