PDA

View Full Version : Potential Glock Project - Am I crazy?

KTR03
06-09-10, 09:20
Hey Everyone,
For reasons that are unclear, I seem to be without any glock pistols right now. I've owned a 31, 32,33, 17, 35, 17l, 29 and 20. So I know my Glock pistols. I'm a glock armorer still and have boat load of parts.

So I was kickign around the garage and stumbled across an old Glock 17 slide that Hans Vang gave me when we was still in CA. Some knucklehead chromed it, so it looks pretty pimpy... This is what I'm thinking:

Buy a Glock 17.
Get the grip chopped down to G 19 size (I like that size better)
Blast all the chrome off the extra slide.
Get it milled to take an RMR
Get a 34 barrel and thread it for a can.

So what this would give me (if it all worked) is a conceable, hi cap system that I can run with irons, or an RDS, with and without a can.

Anything I am overlooking? I'm thinking a Gen 3 would be my best bet.

Someone talk me down...

M4arc
06-09-10, 09:28
Seems like a lot of effort and expense but if you're looking to tinker and enjoy projects like that go for it.

javentre
06-09-10, 09:50
Blast all the chrome off the extra slide.

Is there any benefit to not blasting it off, but having it de-plated?

willowofwisp
06-09-10, 09:50
I think its a good idea...and a fun project. I guess money wise it wouldn't be that bad..and if you decided to scrap it you could get most of your funds back.

HK45
06-09-10, 13:48
I'll go with crazy. ;)

ruckusjuice
06-09-10, 14:44
I say go for it. Worst case scenario, you end up not liking it and go back to the standard Glock 17 slide.

PLCedeno
06-09-10, 16:56
Funny in these harsh economic times im going in the other direction: i only spend money on the things i really need. Not one cent on those things i dont.

mattpittinger
06-09-10, 17:10
[QUOTE=KTR03;677555]

QUOTE]

Sounds good to this point. Why not just do a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake threaded barrel for a 17? The extra barrel length I do not see as advantageous without an increase in sight radius.

Maybe chop the grip on a 34 instead of a 17?

Pumpkinheaver
06-09-10, 19:29
If you got the time and the money go for it!!!

KTR03
06-09-10, 19:30
I was thinking a 34 barrel, just because I could likely get it from Glock. I put a barsto 357 sig barrel in a 35 once and could never get it to run reliably. Are the lone wolf and storm lake barrels go to go? Do they require fitting?

The more I think about this, the more I think I' going to do this, especially as I have the slide already. I allow myself one "wild hair" project a year, so between this and the 9mm can, I think I'll get my quota in for 2010.

mattpittinger
06-09-10, 20:28
[QUOTE=KTR03;678035] Are the lone wolf and storm lake barrels go to go? Do they require fitting? [QUOTE]

Yeah, hell yeah.....No

DevilDog0402
06-09-10, 20:33
What's an RMR?

mattpittinger
06-09-10, 20:34
What's an RMR?

I belive it's one of those little reflex sights.......right?

DevilDog0402
06-09-10, 20:39
I belive it's one of those little reflex sights.......right?

Similar to a Burris Fastfire?

http://www.burrisoptics.com/images/fastfireII.jpg

Caeser25
06-09-10, 22:00
If you have the funds and can find a used one cheap why not?

tobasco
06-09-10, 22:27
sounds like a good idea. just get it done and post pics.

skyugo
06-10-10, 00:42
[QUOTE=KTR03;677555]

QUOTE]

Sounds good to this point. Why not just do a Lone Wolf or Storm Lake threaded barrel for a 17? The extra barrel length I do not see as advantageous without an increase in sight radius.

Maybe chop the grip on a 34 instead of a 17?

i'd prefer an actual glock barrel personally. how hard is it to thread a tenifered barrel?

edit to OP- sounds really cool actually. i'd sort of like a similar gun i think.

Pumpkinheaver
06-10-10, 16:11
Post pics when you get her done.

Complication
06-10-10, 16:39
At the OH/WV/PA spring shoot last month, we had a shooter with a frankenglock. It ran like shit. It just seems to me that Glocks aren't the sort of pistols you put a lot of custom work into (go buy a 1911). The_Katar said something to the effect of "You took one of the most reliable guns in the world and f**ked with it." It seems like a case of more is less and less is more.

That said, if your goal is simply a custom gun you bust out at the range every now and then and you're really into fancy Glocks (if that's not an oxymoron), I guess that's your prerogative. But my guess is that tweaking with a Glock that much sure as hell isn't going to make it run better.

elSquid
06-10-10, 22:52
Just FYI: Glockmeister sells complete G17 lowers for $240.

-- Michael

skyugo
06-11-10, 00:09
At the OH/WV/PA spring shoot last month, we had a shooter with a frankenglock. It ran like shit. It just seems to me that Glocks aren't the sort of pistols you put a lot of custom work into (go buy a 1911). The_Katar said something to the effect of "You took one of the most reliable guns in the world and f**ked with it." It seems like a case of more is less and less is more.

That said, if your goal is simply a custom gun you bust out at the range every now and then and you're really into fancy Glocks (if that's not an oxymoron), I guess that's your prerogative. But my guess is that tweaking with a Glock that much sure as hell isn't going to make it run better.

a lot of glock aftermarket stuff just slaps together, everything on a 1911 requires fitting..
i'm thinking just because it appaers to fit together on the glock doesn't mean it's going to run perfect too.
i've been kicking around a glock race gun idea a bit (starting to really enjoy gun games).. i currently shoot a G19. not sure where i'd go exactly.. i like the OP's idea of using a glock barrel threaded for a suppresor though....

Magic_Salad0892
06-11-10, 04:16
It's totally worth it to have a standard G34 barrel threaded. Cheaper than buying a new barrel too.

I have two of them (now). They work great.

scubadds
06-16-10, 08:10
I am considering a RMR also for my g17, but decided to try the dawson precision for awhile first. But I know it might be in my future
Good luck

Todd.K
06-16-10, 16:40
I was thinking a 34 barrel, just because I could likely get it from Glock. I put a barsto 357 sig barrel in a 35 once and could never get it to run reliably. Are the lone wolf and storm lake barrels go to go? Do they require fitting?

Most of the aftermarket barrels run fine and most drop in. Sometimes they don't. A 34 or 17L barrel cut down and threaded just runs like a Glock every time.