PDA

View Full Version : Plans for a 6.8?

IAmKalashnikov
06-09-10, 10:51
So, for atleast a year and a half now I've been very interested in purchasing or building a 6.8 rifle. If I was to build one from the ground up, this would be my first rifle I built. I have a few questions, and figured you guys could help.

First off, should I buy or build? One of the main reasons I want to build, is because of the lack of gunshops in my area, and I want the rifle customized to the exact way of how I want it to look, feel, and function. If I was to buy, does anyone know someone that I could buy the rifle from, and simply list all the things I would want it built from and they could do it at a decent price?

Second, If I was going to buy, I was more than likely going to go the option of simply buying the complete upper receiver. One that caught my eye was one of the new Wilson Combat Recon or the Lightweight 6.8 SPC complete upper receivers. The quesiton being there is, what would be a good match-up lower receiver? I know Wilson Combat is a rather reputable company, and so I don't want to buy a cheap lower that isn't going to work with the more expensive upper receiver. If I can get away with something really cheap and it work fine, then I'm more then happy to dish out less cash, but I just need some good suggestions on a lower reciever. I'm going on the whole "buy one, cry once" thing. Also, I kind of want to try and build the lower receiver, but fine with just buying a complete if the price sounds right.

If someone knows a place that will do all the work, using the parts I want, to build this rifle I'd be more then happy to pay instead of trying to do it all by myself. Not having the experience and all that. Thanks ahead of time.

Dave L.
06-09-10, 11:13
As far as building or buying goes, do you plan to build more than one rifle? The tools to build and service an AR are not too expensive and chances are if you have a tool collection, you may have most of it already. Some people just don't want the hassle of buying all the tools to build one AR. Building an AR is fairly easy though; I prefer to build my own.

I built my own 6.8 upper but I had a LMT SOPMOD lower with 2-stage trigger laying around so I didn't need to build the lower.
The only difference from an normal AR is the bolt and barrel.

You also have to specify what type rifle you want to build, general purpose or an accurate SPR-type.

Some other guys around here can help better with barrel selection, I have been out of the loop on what's new in the 6.8 world.

Something to think about, 6.8 is still ~$1.00 a round. I haven't shot mine more than 40 times.

MRios
06-09-10, 11:24
If you build I really like

pof lower
or
LMT sopmod lower

do yourself a favor a get a good trigger, I barely got a good trigger after owning an ar for 10yrs and it is night and day which will be very much visible on paper

As already mentioned ammo is pricey so you should buy your fav. load when you find it on sale.... & lots and lots of it

It appears from others posting prohunters are a very good bang for the buck,
my fav. load was tap,

BVickery
06-09-10, 11:48
Finding I'm looking at building an upper in 6.8 SPC, and have a couple questions and instead of starting a thread, would like to ask here in case the OP has similiar question.

The primary role of the rifle would be hunting, with secondary being a SHTF backup for the SBR.

I was looking at the DD 16" Middy barrels and curious if they would be ideal for hunting as well or should I look at someone like WOA?

The other is bolt. I realize I would probably need a new bolt, but would it all require a new carrier as well or would the standard AR carrier work?

I am going to part this together given that BCM doesn't offer 6.8 and though I'd love a NRW upper, out of my price range for the most part.

IAmKalashnikov
06-09-10, 13:01
Yes, I'd like to build several more ar-15's, and I was going to start off with buying the tools to simply build a lower, build a few, then work my way up to buying the tools for assembling an upper and try my luck at building one of those.

What purpose I want the rifle for? Hunting, SHTF, but I also want it to function at a variety of ranges, via changing out the optic. For example, I want it to be very effecient at 100-400 yards, but also effecient at say 500-1000 yards by changing out to a long range scope or something.

So how many say build it myself? If so, could someone perhaps give me a link to all the exact tools and such I'd need to build one completely? Thanks.

ccoker
06-09-10, 13:08
I have a Wilson with the TTU trigger
I love it
accurate?
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9717/target2p.jpg

Dave L.
06-09-10, 17:03
Yes, I'd like to build several more ar-15's, and I was going to start off with buying the tools to simply build a lower, build a few, then work my way up to buying the tools for assembling an upper and try my luck at building one of those.

What purpose I want the rifle for? Hunting, SHTF, but I also want it to function at a variety of ranges, via changing out the optic. For example, I want it to be very effecient at 100-400 yards, but also effecient at say 500-1000 yards by changing out to a long range scope or something.

So how many say build it myself? If so, could someone perhaps give me a link to all the exact tools and such I'd need to build one completely? Thanks.

For the record, I think 6.8 is a terrible idea for a SHTF gun. How many PD's or Military units do you know shoot this caliber? What happens when you run out of ammo? 5.56 is everywhere...even Russia.

Here is the link to the AR tools thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7463
To build a lower all you need is a castle nut wrench, hammer, center punches if IIRC.

Oh, and 6.8 is not really a good choice for killing anything at 500-1000 yards. The 6.8 is not a replacement for .308.

IAmKalashnikov
06-09-10, 18:21
For the record, I think 6.8 is a terrible idea for a SHTF gun. How many PD's or Military units do you know shoot this caliber? What happens when you run out of ammo? 5.56 is everywhere...even Russia.

Here is the link to the AR tools thread https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7463
To build a lower all you need is a castle nut wrench, hammer, center punches if IIRC.

Oh, and 6.8 is not really a good choice for killing anything at 500-1000 yards. The 6.8 is not a replacement for .308.

I just have favoritism over the round, I guess, and I don't know much about the effecient ranges I was just taking a wild guess. Would I be better off building a 6.5 Grendel or something? I just don't want to settle with the 5.56 because I already have one. I wanted a larger caliber, and a mid-length/rifle-length gas system/handguards simply because of my arm length. I'll take any suggestions.

redyak3
06-09-10, 18:42
So, for atleast a year and a half now I've been very interested in purchasing or building a 6.8 rifle. If I was to build one from the ground up, this would be my first rifle I built. I have a few questions, and figured you guys could help.

First off, should I buy or build? One of the main reasons I want to build, is because of the lack of gunshops in my area, and I want the rifle customized to the exact way of how I want it to look, feel, and function. If I was to buy, does anyone know someone that I could buy the rifle from, and simply list all the things I would want it built from and they could do it at a decent price?

Second, If I was going to buy, I was more than likely going to go the option of simply buying the complete upper receiver. One that caught my eye was one of the new Wilson Combat Recon or the Lightweight 6.8 SPC complete upper receivers. The quesiton being there is, what would be a good match-up lower receiver? I know Wilson Combat is a rather reputable company, and so I don't want to buy a cheap lower that isn't going to work with the more expensive upper receiver. If I can get away with something really cheap and it work fine, then I'm more then happy to dish out less cash, but I just need some good suggestions on a lower reciever. I'm going on the whole "buy one, cry once" thing. Also, I kind of want to try and build the lower receiver, but fine with just buying a complete if the price sounds right.

If someone knows a place that will do all the work, using the parts I want, to build this rifle I'd be more then happy to pay instead of trying to do it all by myself. Not having the experience and all that. Thanks ahead of time.

Check out: www.68forums.com
Lots of good, solid, friendly advice...
Plenty of good lower receiver assemblies out there if you don't want to build one. Can't go wrong with LMT...
I built my lower using a Mega receiver, RRA lpk, BCM stock assembly w/Hbuffer, Magpul ACS stock and Ergo grip.
For my upper I used a Mega MTS-300 monolithic upper, Bison 18" SPR barrel, Vltor lo-pro gb, and Phantom 5C2 FH. Works like a champ.
I reload so that helps with the ammo availability...
Contact Bison Armory with your questions, he's real helpful. And no I don't work there, just a satisfied customer!

GPalmer
06-09-10, 19:26
First off, should I buy or build?
If you're at all handy, build it. You want something specific and AR-15's are easy rifles to build, you just fit premanufactured parts together.

The quesiton being there is, what would be a good match-up lower receiver?

There isn't a big difference in lowers. I'd spend the additional money on an upgraded trigger and better stock personally.

QuadBomb
06-09-10, 20:36
My first and so far only AR is a 6.8mm. I built the lower and attached a complete barreled upper and BCG. I don't have the tools necessary to build an upper, but the lower isn't that complicated. It was fun.

I'd recommend checking out AR15Performance.com. They make complete rifles, but quality uppers have been their bag for much longer. I've got one waiting for me when I get back from the sandbox. Also, like redyak said, check out 68forums. Lots of good information to be had.

jeffy351
06-23-10, 11:36
Finding I'm looking at building an upper in 6.8 SPC, and have a couple questions and instead of starting a thread, would like to ask here in case the OP has similiar question.

The primary role of the rifle would be hunting, with secondary being a SHTF backup for the SBR.

I was looking at the DD 16" Middy barrels and curious if they would be ideal for hunting as well or should I look at someone like WOA?

The other is bolt. I realize I would probably need a new bolt, but would it all require a new carrier as well or would the standard AR carrier work?

I am going to part this together given that BCM doesn't offer 6.8 and though I'd love a NRW upper, out of my price range for the most part.

It sure would be nice if BCM would offer a 6.8 upper:D

Obiwan
06-25-10, 15:35
They offer one....it is just built by Stag:D

maximus83
06-25-10, 17:02

You just made the two strongest arguments that keep me from getting a 6.8, every time I get tempted.

Bottom line. Need a lightweight, all-purpose assault/survival/defense rifle with readily available ammo? Almost impossible to beat an AR in 5.56. Need a heavier rifle with more penetration AND longer range, and yet it still has universal ammo availability? Something in 7.62/308 is the next logical step up.

Todd.K
06-25-10, 19:22
Maybe some of us just have a slightly more grounded view. I'd rather have the superior terminal performance of a 6.8 and a basic load of 4-6 loaded mags. This will cover 99% of any realistic HD/SD/disaster situation vs planing on finding ammo laying around when the world ends.

The 6.8 is rarely a first or only AR, most use a 5.56 for training.

Entropy
06-25-10, 20:11
Maybe some of us just have a slightly more grounded view. I'd rather have the superior terminal performance of a 6.8 and a basic load of 4-6 loaded mags. This will cover 99% of any realistic HD/SD/disaster situation vs planing on finding ammo laying around when the world ends.

+1

The 6.8 is a measurable advantage over the 5.56 when it comes to penetration of commonly encountered barriers and overall terminal effects. If you think you are going to find ammo in a worlds end situation, you'll likely find rifles too. So the idea of planning around 5.56 just for the sake of preparing for that scenario is rather silly.

maximus83
06-26-10, 01:53

Agreed on the penetration front. What continues to keep me from getting into 6.8 as an upgrade to 5.56 is the ammo availability issue. I couldn't reload enough to feed my habits, and I want to train with the round if I'm going to fire it. I'm definitely pro-6.8, but for me, it just isn't feasible until the ammo is more widely available.

DocGKR
06-26-10, 11:57
Todd K and Entropy are right on!

Most folks with 6.8 mm use an identically configured 5.56 mm upper for rote training (ie. mag changes, position shooting, etc...) and save the 6.8 mm for duty/personal defense use (of course after firing a sufficient number of rounds to ensure reliability and develop a good zero).

maximus83
06-26-10, 12:18
When shooting at unknown distances from 0-600+, I'd much rather use a 16" SR25EM w/1-8x optic shooting 155 gr Lapua Scenar OTM, 155 gr Hornady TSWG OTM, Mk316, M118LR, or even Mk319 over ANY assault rifle caliber, including 6.5G or 6.8 mm.

I understand the training configuration arguments. But Doc, this morning I was reading another thread on 7.62/.308 and saw that you had posted this about your preference for the .308 I assume on mostly terminal performance grounds?

At this point, I still can't see--FOR ME, PERSONALLY--the value of going to 6.8 versus 7.62 given that:

* I get better terminal performance from 7.62. Basically anything 6.8 does, I can do as well or better with 7.62.
* I get better ammo availability and price for practice ammo with the round itself. I can get it virtually anywhere without having to reload or order from specialized Internet stores like SSA or Midway.

I'm totally a believer in 6.8, I don't need to be convinced on the value of its terminal effectiveness over 5.56, and the lighter weight of the ammo versus 7.62, and the ability to stay with a true AR-15 rifle platform. It's just that up until now, considerations like those listed above have continued to make me think it's better to stick with 7.62. Bottom line, 7.62 is going to do everything 6.8, and probably better, PLUS it gives you longer range, not to mention the non-trivial detail that you can get practice ammo for it anywhere.

DocGKR
06-26-10, 12:39
Yup, if I had to go into combat tomorrow, at unknown ranges from 0-600+, I 'd unhesitatingly choose one of the new 16" 308 carbines using good ammo.

On the other hand, for CONUS LE use, where agencies may already have numerous AR15 carbines, as well as LBE set-up for AR15 size magazines, where shots are usually under 100 and rarely out to 300, where long guns must be deployed from vehicle racks, where there will be a lot of indoor use, where there are extended periods where a rifle is being held on target without a shot fired, then a lightweight, compact 12" 6.8 mm upper on an existing AR15 lower is perhaps the best solution and the one I would select if given a choice.

maximus83
06-26-10, 13:02
Yup, if I had to go into combat tomorrow, at unknown ranges from 0-600+, I 'd unhesitatingly choose one of the new 16" 308 carbines using good ammo.

On the other hand, for CONUS LE use, where agencies may already have numerous AR15 carbines, as well as LBE set-up for AR15 size magazines, where shots are usually under 100 and rarely out to 300, where long guns must be deployed from vehicle racks, where there will be a lot of indoor use, where there are extended periods where a rifle is being held on target without a shot fired, then a lightweight, compact 12" 6.8 mm upper on an existing AR15 lower is perhaps the best solution and the one I would select if given a choice.

OK that makes sense. I hadn't worked through the "mission-specific" considerations yet (mil versus CONUS LE), because I'm not in either of those scenarios. But I can see why, for CONUS LE, the 6.8 would easily become a preferred option.