PDA

View Full Version : DPMS Mark 12 barrel?

SoDak
06-09-10, 14:00
I'm thinking about building a varmint/coyote(I already have a defense carbine) shooting rig and was considering a DPMS Mark 12 barrel for the build largely because it is fairly inexpensive. Do you guys think I can get away with a DPMS barrel in this application provided I use quality parts for the rest of the gun, or is this barrel just another product DPMS manages to screw up?

graffex
06-09-10, 14:14
Using a DPMS barrel in that situation isn't a bad idea. However, I still don't like supporting company's that take shortcuts. I'd would save a little more money and get a nice SS barrel like a Noveske. But I wouldn't be too worried about using one of there barrels for strictly hunting purposes, if your on a strict budget.

Belmont31R
06-09-10, 14:19
Just my opinion but the barrel is one of the most important parts. Don't skimp on that.

You can get a WOA SPR barrel for ~$270...

SoDak
06-09-10, 23:15
Thanks for the input guys. The reason I wanted to keep it somewhat cheap because I'm looking at either doing a precision type build for varmints or just build an M16A4 type rifle using a BCM upper and use that for coyotes. I was looking at using a DPMS barrel because if the build goes $200 over the BCM upper, I'd rather just get the BCM and use the extra money for a scope. I know I'm comparing two fairly different uppers, but in this case I just wanted to get an AR different from what I currently have and those were the two options I'm considering.

ETA. The white oak barrel might be an option. I'll have to research that some.