PDA

View Full Version : Wrist lanyard on "nightstand gun"?

Sry0fcr
06-09-10, 17:51
I'm planning out the next purchase of a nightstand gun M&P9 fullsize and the thought of weapon retention in a close quarters hand to hand/wrestling situation came to mind. The only solution I could think of that could be quickly donned when things go bump in the night was a wrist lanyard. I searched but found no discussion of a wrist lanyard specifically only the belt mounted/break away lanyards.

blackboar
06-09-10, 20:45
I guess it depends on what your plans are for the bump in the night. For me, everyone sleeps upstairs and I know that if a scary noise warrants me to grab the pistol, I'd just set up at the top of the stairs and establish a line of fire to the bottom of the stairs and foyer. My cell phone is charging next to my weapon so I'd be able to speed dial 9-1-1 and keep them on while I announce my presence and intentions if anyone intends to bring harm to my family and I. So for me, the lanyard wouldn't make much of a difference because I have no plans to explore and "clear" my downstairs. At least until the cavalry arrives.

Just my thoughts and contingency plan. I'm interested in hearing and learning from everyone else's.

Mjolnir
06-09-10, 20:57
Send Dutch Shepherd/Belgian Malinois into area where noise emanates.

I'm not searching/clearing a house all alone. Period.

Cell phone and firearm in a secure room/location. Actually, if you have a personal protection dog it's time for it to earn it's keep.

bkb0000
06-09-10, 21:03
it sure is ****in scary, but my old house goes pop/thud way too often to not clear it myself. i'd be calling the cops once a week every week.

i don't really understand how some of you guys can take this "never clear my own house" stance... if you KNOW somebody broke in, then that's one thing. but do you just ignore every sound that might be someone, but you're not sure?

i clear my own house quite often. i'm glad it's scary- as soon as it's not scary and i let my guard down is the night there will actually be someone there.

ETA: here i go again.... to answer the OP, if it's a purely home-defense weapon, a lanyard might not be a bad idea. a pistol is a littl different than a shoulder-fired weapon, and a lanyard is a lot easier to get out of than a sling. if you're going to stick a lanyard on it, however, i'd make sure you actually slip that sucker on your wrist when you grab your weapon.. otherwise, it's just a snag hazard.

blackboar
06-09-10, 21:17
I'd announce pretty loudly that I was set up, ready, and I'd have a gun. If there would truly be someone in there, he/she'd make some kind of a sound that would identify themselves. Not searching/clearing the house has a few justifications for me.

You never know if you're going against a single target or a team
If I shoot from upstairs to downstairs, my collateral damage would never endanger the neighbors I have on all sides
Taking high ground and having cover gives me significant tactical advantages
And since I've planned it out, I'll know even through the grogginess of being woken up, that I can just rely on what I've rehearsed and gotten use to.

I'm just being realistic to myself. I've evaluated my competence (or lack thereof) for search and clear. So my plan is tailored around that.

The other thing is also if I'm searching and clearing the house, I'd leave my family unprotected while I do that. Protecting my household is my number one duty anyways, I can care less about the silverware

bkb0000
06-09-10, 21:21
so lets say you're in bed.. it's 2am, and you hear "THUMP" come from general vicinity of the back door. it wasn't loud enough to indicate someone was in your house, but too loud to ignore. you go to the top of the stairs, weapon in hand, and shout something..... nobody responds.

now what?

blackboar
06-09-10, 21:36
My plan would be to be patient. Repeat my warning and let them know the police are on the way (may not warrant calling quite yet, but a bluff at this point may seem in order). The typical burglar is not going to be patient. They will want to either escape or confront. If there is a burglar/BG in the house, they'll definitely make themselves known.

If after the warnings, I still get nothing, then I will do a sweep of the house to ensure all the doors are still locked. The risk level of someone being in the house has lessened (though by no means am I strolling through the house...weapon is at high ready).

That's why I like this discussion. Makes me think.

Sry0fcr
06-09-10, 22:09
I'm just SOL, the kids and I are on opposite ends of the floorplan and it's one story. If something goes bump, I have no choice but to be aggressive and press the attack. Either I'll run across whatever/whoever it is before I get to their room or whatever/whoever it is is in there with them...

tobasco
06-09-10, 22:34
i dont see the point if you want to toss the pistol and get to your rifle. might slow you down in the process. :confused:

skyugo
06-09-10, 23:28
i dont see the point if you want to toss the pistol and get to your rifle. might slow you down in the process. :confused:

does anyone actually do this in an HD scenario?
i'm personally a lot more comfortable with a handgun in close quarter scenarios.
though i know many people on this forum are well trained with a carbine up close.

tpd223
06-09-10, 23:56
Drawn gun retention is a training issue, not a hardware issue.

The high 2 position is the solution to this problem, and I assume you'll have a flashlight in the other hand.

I would never lanyard my pistol to myself outside of limited military situations, this ties you up too much and doesn't allow transitioning from one hand to the other, and important skill to have when searching buildings.

gumby223
06-10-10, 05:55
I wouldn't use one, but that's me...:cool:

mkmckinley
06-10-10, 06:07
I like it. When your opponent sees your wrist lanyard and falls to the floor, laughing uncontrollably you can simply dial 911 and wait for the police to come and haul him off.

Mjolnir
06-10-10, 07:37
i don't really understand how some of you guys can take this "never clear my own house" stance... if you KNOW somebody broke in, then that's one thing. but do you just ignore every sound that might be someone, but you're not sure?
The dog will *surely* clear the house. Now that may not apply to everyone or every dog but since we probably represent the "top" 5% of the American public I'd like to think that people give the breed of choice the same amount of thought as they do the components they screw/snap/fasten on their carbines. We both know this isn't true, however.

Can't have a large dog? Get a Bull Terrier. Allergic to dander and can't have a large dog? get an Irish Terrier or Kerry Blue Terrier. They'll both bite. Need something more calm than those? :D Well, that will require more thought... Okay, I admit everyone can see the flaw in my "pet theory".

The point is that a well trained dog is invaluable as a companion/pet and security layer. It should be investigated. Sure, I clear the place from time to time but steel door frames and door, Medeco dead bolt locks, well lit exterior, lots of family in and out, several LEOs stopping by to visit both uniformed and off duty the place is "difficult" to figure.

When the lights go out from the intense thunderstorms the gear comes out, and the place gets cleared several times through the night - as it did this week...

Back on topic: A Wrist Lanyard? I dunno. I wouldn't bother but I have a pair of shorts at the side of my bed with pistol, two mags and combat folder in the pocket and a pair of athletic shoes. If I hear anything I'm "dressed" for rolling around on the floor if it comes down to it. If I'm at contact distances a knife is "better" than a gun if you have some idea of how to use it.