PDA

View Full Version : Buffer kits

dave43
06-09-10, 22:52
Between a DSA and Bravo kit....what should I get? Any difference? Plan on putting it on a vltor modstock to Spike M4LE 16"

jeffy351
06-17-10, 09:52
If you are talking about the receiver extension(buffer tube) The bcm uses a higher quality material.I have both and personally cannot tell a difference.

mixmex
06-17-10, 10:04
Can't say between DSA and BCM. However I have compared DSA to a CMT BCUSA used to sell. The DSA is fine but it is all in the finish. On my particular DSA tube the finish was not complete on the rear wall of the tube interior. the CMT seemed a lot smoother internally when a ran my finger across forward to back through the tube. For lack of a better term the threading seemed to be cut different on the CMT, more robust. Both milspec diameter but both different aluminum types I hear. 6061 for the DSA and possibly 7075 for the CMT. Both serviceable although I hear the 7075 tube might have some sort of higher breaking or stress rating.... or somethin, somethin. Read it here, can't cite a specific source. reading so much here has left me with mucho info overflow and bleed.

Col_Crocs
06-17-10, 20:55
Why not just get a full Vltor kit? Ive scrutinized one of their RE's on a friend's AR and I was really impressed.

If set on both brands in question, my choice is BCM. Check out the specs listed below... Im sure if you ask, they can provide more extensive details on manufacturing or possibly even certifications on materials and their manufacturing process.
To be fair though, I have no firsthand experience with DSA, nor have I seen their specs so I do not know whether or not they can match the specs below.

7075-T6 Receiver Extension
The BCM receiver extension is machined from 7075-T6 aluminum. It is machined to the government print; respective to material, manufacturing process, dimensions, hard coat anodizing, and it even has the dry film lube on the interior ID. The only non Milspec modification is that ours are drilled for 6 positions, as we felt it would be more marketable, but not really sure it makes a big difference. This part ends up costing us about double that of 6061 tubes that are machined to a milspec OD or a commercial OD. Most of the milspec dimension tubes on the market are 6061. We run our own product with 7075-T6 (OEM inquiries are welcome).
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55930