PDA

View Full Version : Possible return of the ADCO-spec RRA 1911

subzero
05-27-07, 02:01
For those of you at all interested in purchasing a quality 1911, you should surf over to TOS where there seems to be some discussion about another run of ADCO-spec Rock River Arms 1911s. I am biased given the one I have that I love, but I think they are the best bang for the buck in the 1911 market and will stand toe to toe with ANY 1911 out there from any big name gunsmith. I want to see this happen as I want another just like mine. If you like a great 1911 at a great price, you'll want to see this happen as well.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=130&t=155101

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=43721

http://www.virginiarangers.com/albums/album06/usedadco1911.sized.jpg
http://www.virginiarangers.com/albums/album06/RRA_1911a.sized.jpg
http://www.virginiarangers.com/albums/album29/DSC00007.jpg

MAP
05-27-07, 20:20
If they are still in the $1,500. range I'd be real interested.

Just don't tell my wife. ;)

Mike

rob_s
05-27-07, 20:36
I'd like to take two if they'd just change the front strap checkering to 30 lpi or, even better, none at all.

subzero
05-27-07, 21:36
I've told them I want two just like mine: 30 LPI with Heinies and an S&A grip safety. From what I understand, different batches had Novaks, Ed Brown grip safeties, and 20 or 25 LPI on the frontstrap.

I dunno about all that. I just want one like mine. Maybe with a blended S&A magwell.

dubb-1
05-27-07, 22:07
Everybody wants something different...

Voodoochild
05-27-07, 22:13
Everybody wants something different...

Such is life man..Pretty nice looking 1911's though.

dubb-1
05-28-07, 00:21
If Adco spec guns were to be offered again, it would be the same concept: a no frills fighting gun, designed for hard use. Good sights, trigger, and a surface treatment that supplies ample grip whether you're going through presentations on the range, or forced to defend yourself while on the side of the road with bearing grease on your hands. If you want a custom spec'd 1911, let me know, I would gladly refer you to one of the many gunsmiths I have personally grown to know and appreciate.;)

rob_s
05-28-07, 08:33
Frankly at that price point I'm not all that picky about individual parts, and really don't care what brand trigger/sights/grip safety/thumb safety you use.

I personally happen to think that leaving the front-strap plain allows everyone to eventually wind up with exactly the treatment they want by doing what they want to it after the fact. Hell, it might even make it cheaper on the front-end.

That's also why I happen to like the fact that it's parkerized. It is more than functional left alone, but is the ideal base layer for anyone that wants to apply another finish after the fact. Same concept.

Akoni
05-28-07, 11:47
If Adco spec guns were to be offered again, it would be the same concept: a no frills fighting gun, designed for hard use. Good sights, trigger, and a surface treatment that supplies ample grip whether you're going through presentations on the range, or forced to defend yourself while on the side of the road with bearing grease on your hands. If you want a custom spec'd 1911, let me know, I would gladly refer you to one of the many gunsmiths I have personally grown to know and appreciate.;)

I don't think the folks that are interested in this are after a custon gun; they're after a solid 1911 that you really don't need to send to anyone. I think what you're seeing is people trying to influence what that spec will be but more or less everyone wants about the same basic setup.

Just for input and not knowing what the original ADCO spec was other than a looser tolerance for slide to frame fit:
Single trit pinned front sight
10-8/Yost type rear sight (no trit)
25 LPI checkering
Properly beveled magwell but no extended magwell
Medium/short trigger (solid)
single sided extended safety
S&A grip safety
Thorough dehorn/carry bevel
Beadblast and manganese phos finish and if additionally finished in a bake-on finish then make the whole thing (barrel, trigger, etc) charcoal to black.

Lanyard loop built into MSH (optional)
Barrel crowned and flush to bushing (optional)
If it's railed only a Dawson rail

rob_s
05-28-07, 11:50
25 LPI checkering

I think this is a good way to go if the no checkering option isn't viable. It's a good compromise for the various camps.

trio
05-28-07, 22:54
i have one as well, and its my favorite 1911....i love this thing...only thing i changed was I had RRA put a tritium front sight on it...it runs and runs....

i would be supremely interested in another

rob_s
05-29-07, 04:32
ADCO, if you're listening....

One way to go this time around would be to announce the specs and take deposits. When you have enough deposits you place the order. It might help keep you from getting "stuck" with extra stock.

Bulldog1967
05-29-07, 08:29
I'm NOT tagging this thread!

Akoni
05-30-07, 10:34
ADCO, if you're listening....

One way to go this time around would be to announce the specs and take deposits. When you have enough deposits you place the order. It might help keep you from getting "stuck" with extra stock.

Agreed. I'm leaving for a while but if a deposit is needed during the next few months, I'll try to get it to ADCO somehow.

BKennedy
05-31-07, 22:13
If this goes down, I want in.

David Thomas
05-31-07, 22:24
Hopefully Bigbore will not mind... Quote from TOS:

Originally Posted By bigbore:
Its been a long time since I looked at the 1911s RRA offers. They offer the ADCO 1911 now as standard!!!

ORDER THIS (http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=PS2700&storeid=1&image=pbc.gif)

Call 1.866.980.7625, ask for Ulanda and tell her you want NO front serrations and dont make the bushing so tight and you'll have an ADCO RRA 1911.

Just order direct, There isnt jack for mark up in RRA 1911s, so I wouldnt be able to offer it any cheaper.

dubb-1
05-31-07, 22:56
Yeah...Shortly after the second batch, RRA began to offer this. Pretty darn close. Talk to Ulanda, place your order, and send her my undying affection.!;)

rob_s
06-01-07, 09:48
Will RRA make changes to the Basic Carry now? When it first came out they were selling it "as is". I had also heard, but never tested the theory, that they strenuously resist requests to have the bushing fit loosened up. Hell, I thought this was even a battle for ADCO.

If RRA is willing to omit a couple of steps when they make one, then Dubb is right, we don't need ADCO.:p

Now, who has the cash in hand and is going to call RRA to check on all of this?:D

David Thomas
06-01-07, 09:59
Will RRA make changes to the Basic Carry now? When it first came out they were selling it "as is". I had also heard, but never tested the theory, that they strenuously resist requests to have the bushing fit loosened up. Hell, I thought this was even a battle for ADCO.

If RRA is willing to omit a couple of steps when they make one, then Dubb is right, we don't need ADCO.:p

Now, who has the cash in hand and is going to call RRA to check on all of this?:D

I think this guy has enough cash for two:

I'd like to take two if they'd just change the front strap checkering to 30 lpi or, even better, none at all.
;)

dubb-1
06-01-07, 10:44
The point is that the ADCO guns were spec'd as Steve and I thought a basic fighting 1911 should be. We didn't ask any outsiders' opinions, cause we didn't want them. Still don't.;) My thoughts on a fighting gun have evolved very little since then. I have personal preferences that I would keep out of the equation, but offer as upgrades, but that is it.

Though Steve stated that the issue of being "stuck" with guns was a big deal, I think it is safe to say that the biggest issue was people complaining that the guns "had this" or "didn't have that". Get real. If you want a custom to your specs, get out your cash, pick up the phone, and start waiting. What we did was huge. You have no idea. Not just Steve shelling out the dough without the current trend of "pre orders", but getting a 1911 gunsmith to build a gun that he didn't want to. Hell, I damn near had to break Chuck's arm to get him to build the very first RRA bobtail.

So buy a Basic Carry, change what you want after the fact, and be happy. I don't think you'll ever see a return of the ADCO guns, because it was too much work, and was totally taken for granted.:cool:

Akoni
06-12-07, 11:57
I was wondering what happened with this thread. I see that Damian has cleared things up by posting what I assume to be the official ADCO response to this possibility. Too bad. It also seems like there is an axe being ground here from the tone of his reply...whatever.

rob_s
06-12-07, 12:02
Tony, while I agree the attitude sucks, at least the content is pertinent in that we Damian's point is that we can all order exactly what we want individually from RRA with whatever tweaks we want (20, 25, 30 LPI, sights, safeties, etc.) and if we're willing to forgo some of that we can get them for damn near the price that ADCO was offering originally.

Akoni
06-12-07, 14:34
point is that we can all order exactly what we want individually from RRA

Ordering exactly what you want from RRA or any other source is not what this thread or the original ADCO pistol was about. I liked the original pistol even if it was not the exact parts mix that I would have chosen but I missed out on it. I like the idea of a quality pistol that is fairly close to what I WOULD order exactly from a gunsmith but without the huge bill and wait associated with it. Seems like there were more than a few of us willing to plunk down deposits for a new run of these pistols and since no particular spec had been published, folks were throwing in their two cents on what that spec could be. Seems like a simple "no, we're not doing that again" or "if we do this, this is the spec without change" would have sufficed.

VA_Dinger
06-12-07, 14:51
I would have to agree with Akoni.

The point of the Adco/RRA was that it put a very capable and well-built semi-custom 1911 into the buyer’s hand for a reasonable price and no waiting (Unless Adco was sold out).

The idea was very smart: Keep it simple and one-way so RRA could crank them out faster and with less cost. A very basic no frills hand built 1911 that was more than capable of out shooting higher priced guns. The one example I’ve handled & shot was damn nice.

I wish I’d have bought one.

rob_s
06-12-07, 15:54
I guess my point is that the same thing can be had at a similar price. The only difference is the wait. If you're willing to pay a slight premium you can get them from several dealers who get them in stock from time to time. Try Allen Yoast.

dubb-1
06-13-07, 11:27
Attitude? Axe to grind? Hmmm.... I thought I was just being clear. Apparently two smilies weren't enough.?.?:confused:

trio
06-13-07, 21:31
as an aside...i was fortunate enought to luck into a Basic Carry for right at 1000 bucks...

I also have one of the original ADCO RRAs....

they are indeed remarkably similar...the Basic Carry I acquired has forward cocking serrations, and I need to change the rear sight...but beyond that, they could easily be the same pistol....had I order it myself, obviously, no forward cockers....when you can get a deal though, you take what is offered...

At any rate...just wanted to say...the Basic Carry and original ADCO...definitely, for shootability, fit, finish, and outstanding quality...extremely similar

Lumpy196
06-14-07, 00:31
Attitude? Axe to grind? Hmmm.... I thought I was just being clear. Apparently two smilies weren't enough.?.?:confused:

You were being matter of fact. I didnt detect any "axe grinding" in your response at all.