PDA

View Full Version : Laser bore sighting ????

sbui
06-10-10, 22:00
So basically just finished a build, and put the laser bore sighter in to see roughly how far off things are with the sight pictuer, and notice the the laser is to the right of the front sight post just a little, part of the post still covers the dot, when lined up with the rear sight.

I'm using the standard FSP with a Matech rear sight.

Had to remove the FSP to install the DD omega rail, and really positive things are back in place, cause the taper pins won't go back any different way.

should this really matter, I know the laser is really only supposed to give me a rough idea, it's not the end all for sighting in the weapon.

Belmont31R
06-10-10, 23:13
Bore sighting is only supposed to get you on paper when zeroing.

Its completely normal for things to not line up 100%. Just be concerned if you go to zero, and you are cranking sights all the way up or close to all the way to one side.

5shot
06-11-10, 09:39
If there is a little gap between the barrel alignment pin and the notch in the upper receiver you can get it off a tad. A few turns of windage and you should be good to go.

JSantoro
06-11-10, 10:28
At what distance are you LBSing? If it's at your desired first-intersect zero distance, what you're describing makes sense and is statistically insignificant.

That said, I don't see you picking up the laser dot at, say, 50yd in broad daylight. Too much diffusion and beam divergence.

If you're at what I would think of as a "normal" LBS distance (10m), the laser should fall below the LOS through your sights.

sbui
06-11-10, 10:48
jim,

you are correct it's only at about 10 meters. Like someone else said, I was only doing it to make sure that when I do sight the rifle, I will hit paper on the first shot, and then do the adjustments as needed.

If it was at 50 yds I would not be able to see the dot at all.

And there is no play between the barrell and reciever at all, I thought that could have been the issue, but it is not.

Thanks for the help guys.

At what distance are you LBSing? If it's at your desired first-intersect zero distance, what you're describing makes sense and is statistically insignificant.

That said, I don't see you picking up the laser dot at, say, 50yd in broad daylight. Too much diffusion and beam divergence.

If you're at what I would think of as a "normal" LBS distance (10m), the laser should fall below the LOS through your sights.

MassMark
06-11-10, 11:04
I must LBS about 5-10 firearms a week and I tell people the same thing: "LBS will get you on a piece of typing paper at 50-yards - the rest is up to you"... If you perfectly LBS a scope using a barrel mounted boresighter, then turn the laser a hair- you'll be off... I have not used the chamber mounted lasers, so can;t comment to their effectiveness, but the muzzle mounted LBS will get you going in the right direction...

bo-hoss
06-11-10, 12:39
A quick,easy way to double check your boresighter is to chuck it up in a drill press and see if the laser "draws circles" or draws a "dot". I have made adjustments on laser boresighters and it helped "tighten up" the initial sighting in process.

Pumpkinheaver
06-11-10, 23:33
A quick,easy way to double check your boresighter is to chuck it up in a drill press and see if the laser "draws circles" or draws a "dot". I have made adjustments on laser boresighters and it helped "tighten up" the initial sighting in process.

Cool, never thought of doing that.

bo-hoss
06-12-10, 07:23
Once I started doing the drill press thing with my various boresights, my initial sight-in and set up has become a heck of alot more "precision". I have mounted red-dot holographic sights using the "adjusted" boresight and been able to adjust the sight untill the red dot on the sight overlays the boresight red dot and the weapon shoots dead on. It does not always work perfect but it gets it real close without
major adjustments.