PDA

View Full Version : gun mounted light or handheld?

chilic82
06-11-10, 09:16
I am looking at adding a TLR1 to my P30.This handgun would be used by me or my wife in case of emergency. Right now I use a Surefire 6P LED. Should I spend the extra $100 ont the TLR or just spend the extra cash on ammo, mags, etc.? Which do you prefer and why?

Outlander Systems
06-11-10, 11:28
I think you need to expand upon the sort of role this weapon is going to fill. Is it strictly a home defense weapon? Will you be carrying it?

Every handgun I own has a mounted light. I personally do not want to fumble with dropping/stowing/stashing/and/or futzing around with a handheld during a reload while someone is trying to rip my eyeballs out.

Based on what you've asked, I would go with a dedicated weapon light and a cheap handheld utility light. You can always upgrade to a better handheld at a later date. Despite the fact that you're more likely to use your handheld light in a carrying situation, I personally wouldn't skimp on a mounted light to get a Billy-Badass handheld. A cheap handheld will suffice to find your keys, or unlock your front door.

Right now my handgun light collection consists of an Insight UTL, Insight WX-150, and an Insight M3X. In the past I've used a Surefire X300, an Insight M6X, and an Insight SSL-1.

All of them are excellent. Look for features you like, and roll with it.

markm
06-11-10, 11:40
I personally can't stand a pistol mounted light.

I'd take the 6p and mount it on a home defense AR!!:D

Outlander Systems
06-11-10, 12:18
I personally can't stand a pistol mounted light.

I'd take the 6p and mount it on a home defense AR!!:D

What don't you like about dedicated lights? I'm genuinely curious. I don't like cleaning the bezel, but other than that it's there if you need it, and off when you don't.

On a related note, I've never determined why most civilian shooters won't think twice about slapping a light on a rifle, but are loathe to the idea of a dedicated setup on the weapon that's more likely to be deployed. I'm not stirring the pot, but it's a question I've always pondered.

The only thing I can't stand about mounted lights is the amount of strategy involved in holster procurement...:rolleyes:...that, to me, is the only PITA involved. If RCS offered a holster in the configuration I want, I'd have all my holster issues straightened out.

chilic82
06-11-10, 17:05
It will be a dedicated HD handgun. I was just curious if you felt that the weapon mounted light is suitable for those that arent going to train with them, but know how to use them when needed.

vigilant2
06-11-10, 17:35
Get the TLR-1 or 1s whichever you prefer. I have 2 already and
will be purchasing at least 2 more (X300 or TLR-1s) so that all
my handguns will have it if needed.
Get a good handheld if you decide to CCW, concealable
weaponlight holsters are a pain IMO.
I keep a weaponlight on my handgun at night for HD. Otherwise
its a handheld with the Harries technique. I need to practice
the Rogers/Syringe hold till I'm more comfortable with it.
With the TLR-1 I pretty much have my usual handgun hold.

Outrider
06-11-10, 20:10
On a related note, I've never determined why most civilian shooters won't think twice about slapping a light on a rifle, but are loathe to the idea of a dedicated setup on the weapon that's more likely to be deployed. I'm not stirring the pot, but it's a question I've always pondered.

I believe the basic thinking is ideally one does not want to point guns at things in order to identify them with one's flashlight.

With a rifle, one needs both hands on the rifle to operate it proficiently and there is not a good technique to hold the light and the rifle as separate units. So if one wants to run a light and use a rifle, the light has to be mounted on something so the hands are free to operate the rifle.

In contrast, there are several techniques that a pistol shooter can use that allow the shooter to operate the pistol proficiently while keeping the flashlight separate. This can allow a person to point a flashlight without pointing the gun in the same direction.

Outlander Systems
06-11-10, 21:41
I'm not going to flag someone with a weapon just to make sure they aren't the Domino's guy...

It's all personal preference I suppose. I, personally, would rather have my support limb freed up to clear malfunctions, strip mags, open doors, without any encumbrance.

My argument is that, if a weapon "breaks leather", a threat is established. I'm not using an X400 to poopie scoop at midnight. I'm not suggesting that a utility light doesn't have it's place in an EDC/CCW/HD/LEO/etc. role. I am personally of the opinion that the handheld light is a tertiary item, where the weapon is the primary item of importance, and the weaponlight secondary, in regards to a defensive setup...a troika of sorts.

I should assert the fact that it would be prudent to have a handheld light of some variety in addition to a weaponlight. I just see them as two very distinct tools in the toolbox.

In a scenario where I am returning home at 10:00 p.m., enter the house, and establish that someone who shouldn't be inside, is...I'm not going to waste my time going for the E2D in my pocket. I'm pulling the smokewagon out, and getting ready for the man dance. At that point I'm not using the weaponlight to look for bats in the attic, I'm looking for John Q. Meth-head.

ETA: To the OP - I'm not putting this out as *the* way, just *a* way. Again, it comes down to personal preference, and personal performance. For an HD weapon, I see no reason not to slap a light on there. On a EDC weapon, the additional bulk, and difficulties in finding a compatible holster can be a turnoff.

Dunderway
06-11-10, 22:51
I'm not going to flag someone with a weapon just to make sure they aren't the Domino's guy...

It's all personal preference I suppose. I, personally, would rather have my support limb freed up to clear malfunctions, strip mags, open doors, without any encumbrance.

My argument is that, if a weapon "breaks leather", a threat is established. I'm not using an X400 to poopie scoop at midnight. I'm not suggesting that a utility light doesn't have it's place in an EDC/CCW/HD/LEO/etc. role. I am personally of the opinion that the handheld light is a tertiary item, where the weapon is the primary item of importance, and the weaponlight secondary, in regards to a defensive setup...a troika of sorts.

I should assert the fact that it would be prudent to have a handheld light of some variety in addition to a weaponlight. I just see them as two very distinct tools in the toolbox.

In a scenario where I am returning home at 10:00 p.m., enter the house, and establish that someone who shouldn't be inside, is...I'm not going to waste my time going for the E2D in my pocket. I'm pulling the smokewagon out, and getting ready for the man dance. At that point I'm not using the weaponlight to look for bats in the attic, I'm looking for John Q. Meth-head.

ETA: To the OP - I'm not putting this out as *the* way, just *a* way. Again, it comes down to personal preference, and personal performance. For an HD weapon, I see no reason not to slap a light on there. On a EDC weapon, the additional bulk, and difficulties in finding a compatible holster can be a turnoff.

Very well said.

Outrider
06-12-10, 02:29

Agreed. The two have separate purposes and uses. It's good to have both.

Unfortunately, when an item is released into the market, the masses get a chance to use and misuse it. I think the dislike for the light mounted on a pistol comes from the misuse. When they get gear, like a weapon mounted flashlight, they are not really trained when to use it or when not to use it so they use it improperly. For example when a person gets a weaponlight and all of a sudden he thinks he doesn't need a regular flashlight so with only a weapon mounted light he starts pointing his gun at everything he wants to identify. That gives rise to the anecdotal stories of problems using the tool and then people think of it as bad kit.

Outlander Systems
06-12-10, 07:21
Too true. It's symptomatic of the gear-as-crutch syndrome, and unfortunately we have no shortage of irresponsible firearms owners.

On the issue of lights, I do not see the handheld/mounted lights as mutually exclusive; they compliment one another.