PDA

View Full Version : FNP 9mm any good?

Omega Man
06-11-10, 16:15
I am tinkering with the idea of getting one, and wondered what the general consensus was about the function and reliability of these pistols?

GermanSynergy
06-11-10, 19:39
They are well made, reliable, accurate and reasonably priced handguns. If you like the FN look, you may want to check out the FNX 9.

Omega Man
06-11-10, 19:53
I did look at some FNX on Gunbroker and i liked some of the features better than the FNP. The thumb safety, mag release button, and the interchangable backstraps are all good improvments, at least in theory. Ive read some good things about them being quite accurate as well.

kal
06-12-10, 00:54
here's what I saw on FN forum regarding the FNX, mag issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Vuab3CvSE

Also, the way they have the decocker set up is stupid. My freakin' Taurus is better designed than that. The FNX decocks past the FIRE position. Basically means if you carry cocked and locked, under stress, you might decock the weapon as you switch the selector from safe to fire. In my opinion, a properly designed decocking mechanism is operated past the SAFE position, and not fire position.

Omega Man
06-12-10, 07:52
here's what I saw on FN forum regarding the FNX, mag issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Vuab3CvSE

Also, the way they have the decocker set up is stupid. My freakin' Taurus is better designed than that. The FNX decocks past the FIRE position. Basically means if you carry cocked and locked, under stress, you might decock the weapon as you switch the selector from safe to fire. In my opinion, a properly designed decocking mechanism is operated past the SAFE position, and not fire position.
The HK45 has the same type of safety/decocker. I agree its not a good design. I found out that FN is coming out with a striker fired pistol. I might wait for this, before i get an FNX.

neo9710
06-12-10, 08:03
Im still teetering and I heard that they are a great company..SO....well see..

dwhitehorne
06-12-10, 09:57
I picked up a FDE 9mm FN a few weeks ago for $399. I figured for the price what the hell. I don't think it will bump my M&P as my favorite 9mm but it works. I've only burned through about 300 rounds and it is accurate enough for me. Three factory mags included is nice too. The only issue I have is bumping the decocker during recoil every few magazines. Good luck with your decision. David

Palmguy
06-12-10, 10:45

Given the choice, I'd prefer that it only be a safety and not a decocker...that said, this is nothing new. Ever heard of Heckler & Koch?

skyugo
06-12-10, 12:37
how's parts availability on FN pistols? i know the rifles are hard or impossible to get parts for.

dojpros
06-12-10, 12:43
Is there a safety only version? I too found the the safety/decocker unsat when handling one recently.