PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at a bench press weight.

Hashmark
06-12-10, 00:57
Ok, now I've been doing bench press sets usually 3 sets of 8 at 275 give or take 10 pounds depending on how I'm feeling, and I can't get my weight to progress any further. I've been at this weight for about 10 weeks and it's pissing me off! Advice... Please?

WillC
06-12-10, 01:19
What has worked for me is to go back to basics with the old standard Bill Starr 5x5 intermediate or if you are feeling froggy go with the advanced. When you increase your lower body strength your upper will follow.

Try this out and post results.
http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

It will feel light at first, but by weeks 4-6 you should be seeing the increases. Starting off watch your lines and make sure your form is perfect, I also believe focusing on the anterior excercies will improve your strength as well.

I also recommend not following this for more than 12 weeks even if you are still increasing in weight.

CBTech
06-12-10, 03:30
I was also going to suggest squats when I saw the title to this post. I was reading an article on the difference between body builders and a strongman's work out. In the strongman's routine it seemed the whole week was legs. It said the same thing as above. If you build your lower body, the upper body will be more susceptible to gains. They say working the legs releases test. and Rugby players layoff the sex weeks before big matches to "keep" the testosterone in. There might be something to it.

rudy99
06-12-10, 08:51
I've gotten pretty good results from this program:

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm

Got me more focused on lower reps and more weight. The only pain is finding a spotter when you work out solo. Went from about 200 max to a bit over 225 the last time I did it before taking a few months off from working out. Almost through it a second time and may be going a bit above 225.

EDIT: The 50 lb increase claim from the article is bogus. If they are going to make a claim like that it should at least be a percentage increase.

WillBrink
06-13-10, 13:44
Ok, now I've been doing bench press sets usually 3 sets of 8 at 275 give or take 10 pounds depending on how I'm feeling, and I can't get my weight to progress any further. I've been at this weight for about 10 weeks and it's pissing me off! Advice... Please?

Doing the exact same thing month after month, year after year (such as 3x8 bench....) is not going to yield ongoing progress. See for example:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40678

Lots of other threads like that here describing ways of avoiding the approach you are using.

Good luck.

Hashmark
06-13-10, 18:19
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm starting my "new" program tomorrow and Im going to try the one in the link Will sent.

WillBrink
06-13-10, 18:31
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm starting my "new" program tomorrow and Im going to try the one in the link Will sent.

Top of this forum section, there are more threads to read under the "Will Brink Postings" section as well that cover various training related info.

Hashmark
06-13-10, 19:14
Will,

On the question of creatine. Is there a particular brand you use and/or recommend? I know the cm mixed with juice seems to be the way to take it but I was wondering if there is a type that is ready to go... as in shake and drink?

And do you recommend taking it before or after a workout?

Delta1067
06-18-10, 19:59
Doing the exact same thing month after month, year after year (such as 3x8 bench....) is not going to yield ongoing progress.

I would suggest that you pyramid--Go up in weight and down in reps. On the flat bench I like to go in reps of 8, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1. The intensity of each set is also important. Each set must be as heavy as possible. If you get all of your sets for the particular week, then go up in small weight increments of 5 lbs at a time. That would equal to a 20 pound jump in a month.

Rugby players layoff the sex weeks before big matches to "keep" the testosterone in That is dedication right there, but not something I am willing to do or would recommend, LOL. Got to prioritize some things in life.

WillBrink
06-19-10, 15:38
Will,

On the question of creatine. Is there a particular brand you use and/or recommend? I know the cm mixed with juice seems to be the way to take it but I was wondering if there is a type that is ready to go... as in shake and drink?

And do you recommend taking it before or after a workout?

Any company that uses Creapure as their source for creatine is fine. Do a Google search, you will see various companies. I prefer it micronized, and get mine from www.LEF.org

See my free report on creatine, which covers just about everything one could need to know on the topic: www.Creatine-report.com.

Hashmark
06-19-10, 16:13
Thanks for the links! Outstanding on the prices too.

Sambo526
06-19-10, 17:44
I agree with a lot of the posts here. First of all you have to up you protein and probably carbs. You must eat big to get big. I also agree with squatting. Squatting trains 50% of your body. The largest and strongest group of muscles in your body are your legs. Heavy compound movements like free weight squats have actually shown in studies to increase the natural release of growth hormone in your body. When I was a competitive bodybuilder, I got some of my best lifts after I started throwing heavy squats into my routine. Also drop you reps to 4-6 and stay with as much weight as you can handle for 4-6 reps.

restfortheweary
06-19-10, 18:17
+1 for 5X5. The more compound movements you have in your routine, the stronger you will become.

WillBrink
06-19-10, 18:27
Thanks for the links! Outstanding on the prices too.

Most of the products I use personally comes from them. I know that company well - having done RnD, consulting work, writing for their mag (do a search for my name on their site) and know the owner well, so most of what I take comes from that company.

500grains
06-20-10, 09:19
Doing the exact same thing month after month, year after year (such as 3x8 bench....) is not going to yield ongoing progress. See for example:

Yup.

A couple of things you could try.

Easy: Increase to 5 sets for 2 weeks.

Harder: Do your 3 sets.

Then do drop-downs. 1 set of 275x8. 1 set of 290x6. 1 set of 300 x 4. 1 set of 310 x 2

Then do buildups. 1 set of 200 x 20. 1 set of 220 x 18. 1 set of240 x 16. ... 1 set of 320 x 2.

Hardest: If you have a bench at home, choose a day when you will be home for 6 hours. Do the drop downs and buildups once per hour for 6 hours, drinking a high protein shake in between. Next hour do it again, and another high protein shake. After the 6 hours, take 2 days off to recover.

Entropy
06-22-10, 16:05
I've never had much trouble gaining strength. Everyone's body is different and you'll have different strength capacities based on your frame and overall genetics. For power lift, I've always found that the pyramid works well for me. For the flat and incline bench, 5 sets at 6,4,2,4,6 with as heavy as you can go. At my peak, I could bench 475lbs. Now days I'm probaly around 375lbs for barbell, but I only use dumbbells now and am going more for symetry and building.

Micronized Creatine works well for me. I dissolve it in warm water, and add a little Gatorade for electrolites. Without the creatine, I notice that I have less peak strength and less lifting endurance. Then of course, make sure you get adequate levels of protein in the morning, and at night. Don't get enough protein, and you are not only unable to replace what muscle you tear up in lifting, but you are unable to build onto it. Lastly, ensure that you get enough sleep, and rest muscles adequately. You can tell if an individual muscle group has been rested enough before the next workout.

Watrdawg
07-10-10, 16:05
I use a pyramid routine for my flat bench also. I'm only 5'5" and 170 but I can bench 325 on a good day. My bench consist of a light warmup set of 10 reps. I then go straight to 225 and do 6 reps, 250-5, 275-4, 295-3, 305-2 315-1, and depending on how I'm feeling 325-1rep. When I'm going down I go down quicker but do more reps. 275-6, 250-7, 225 8-10 reps if possible. I rest about a minute in between sets. My chest workout varies quite a bit. Flat bench is always there. I also do incline and decline bench, fly's and incline fly's, cable fly's and seated machine fly's. After flat bench I mix in 3-4 other exercises. Mainly to keep from plateauing. This works well for me.

Cascades236
07-12-10, 23:13
Wendlers 5/3/1 program has been a plateau buster for me.

WillBrink
12-26-10, 17:05
Wendlers 5/3/1 program has been a plateau buster for me.

It's a well designed program from someone who knows their sh&%. Most info you will get from Wendler, Tate, etc will be GTG.

jasonhgross
12-26-10, 17:08
Are you sleeping, resting, and eating enough?

Militant83
12-26-10, 18:25
Doing what I call 5's has worked for me. Take a weight that you would only be able to to 5 reps with and do 3 sets of 5 for a while and then try to max out and see if you made any gains.

I also do this chart, as do a lot of the guys at my gym. This is what works best for me. I use the 5's to break up the monotony of the chart. Give your muscles something new from time to time.

Aray
12-26-10, 19:46
My best max was done with a 9 x 3 workout. Yes, 9 sets of 3. I forget who the originator was, but it launched my max bench to a place I could have never imagined.

Militant83
12-26-10, 20:02
My best max was done with a 9 x 3 workout. Yes, 9 sets of 3. I forget who the originator was, but it launched my max bench to a place I could have never imagined.

I know a few guys that do this as well...to give themselves a break from the chart ir when they are stuck on a weight.

300WM
12-26-10, 20:28

A lot of good info here. Are you using a spotter when you lift? With out a spotter, you cannot push past failure which is what will help you get past the peak you have hit.

300WM
01-01-11, 23:55
Something else, unless you are juicing, you are only going to get so strong.

sabresbrs
01-02-11, 18:48
1) Take a week off then try it again

or

2) Replace your benchpress with either dumbell press or weighted dips for two weeks

Hizzie
01-25-11, 12:08
I can suggest:

Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" a 3X5

Bill Starr's "Only the Strongest Shall Survive" 5X5

Madcow's "Intermediate 5X5"

Dante Trudel's "DoggCrapp" DC Training

Joe DiFranco's "West Side for Skinny Bastards" WS4SB

All are great programs and each have their strengths and weaknesses.