PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run just the 3.5# connector on their Glock?

SpookyPistolero
06-12-10, 09:04
Hi folks-

Title pretty much says it. Anyone run the 3.5# connector (no NY1 spring) on their defensive Glock (carry, training, or home use)?

JeepDriver
06-12-10, 09:06
That's what's in my 34 came with it, never saw a reason to change it.

stmcelroy
06-12-10, 11:44
I'm running that setup in my 19 and 21SF. Unless you polish all the contact points the trigger is not that light at all with just the 3.5# connector.

OhioFinance
06-12-10, 12:23
I have and do. If I remember correctly the new (-) factory connectors are 4.5# now even though everyone still refers to them as 3.5#. But don't ask me why or where I heard that as I can't remember :)

dee loo
06-12-10, 12:47
I run all mine with the factory minus connector and standard springs. From a G34 to my carry G26. I like the softer break of the OEM vs. a Ghost or a Lone Wolf. The Ghost and Lone Wolf are good but don't feel as soft. They have a crisp but sharper break to me. I like my triggers with a roll trigger feel.

BMWguy206
06-12-10, 13:26
I have and do. If I remember correctly the new (-) factory connectors are 4.5# now even though everyone still refers to them as 3.5#. But don't ask me why or where I heard that as I can't remember :)

I talked to a Glock Armorer about this and he said the connector itself is 3.5# but once installed the other factory springs (firing pin and trigger spring) give the trigger a 4.5# feel.

BTW, I have a Glock 17 and the only internal modification I have done is a Glockworx race connector.

LOKNLOD
06-12-10, 13:30
Factory (-) connectors and standard springs for me as well. I went back to this after trying the NY1 combo for a while and not liking it.

t1tan
06-12-10, 15:33
Factory (-) connectors and standard springs for me as well. I went back to this after trying the NY1 combo for a while and not liking it.

Same here

From the 19 I own now and all future Glocks I own they'll have the (-) connector.

Curare
06-12-10, 16:37
I don't care for the break on the 3.5# connector.

longball
06-13-10, 23:40
If I remember correctly the new (-) factory connectors are 4.5# now even though everyone still refers to them as 3.5#. But don't ask me why or where I heard that as I can't remember :)
That is also what I was told by the armorer who worked on my trigger. He installed the 3.5# connector, polished contact points, and swapped out a spring or two. When I purchase another Glock I suspect it'll get the same treatment unless of course there are good reasons not to due to safety or legal concerns. I've never had to use a weapon for defense but it seems to me like anything that makes the weapon easier to shoot accurately would relate to an increase in safety for all involved, with the exception of the target naturally. If someone more knowledgeable than I could outline some of these concerns they may be something to consider when deciding on the proper trigger for a defense weapon. Thoughts?

OhioFinance
06-14-10, 06:07
If you use deadly force in a situation, you will have a mountain of issues to deal with. However I have yet to see any ACTUAL cases presented where a shooting was deemed "bad" based only on trigger pull weight. If it helps you shoot accurately and quickly then go with it.

subzero
06-14-10, 06:27
If you use deadly force in a situation, you will have a mountain of issues to deal with.

Please cite a source for this delusion.

However I have yet to see any ACTUAL cases presented where a shooting was deemed "bad" based only on trigger pull weight.

Because a shoot is either good, or not good. Minor details like trigger pull weight are just that: minor.

I originally had a much longer, angrier post in reply to this nonsense, but maybe you actually have a case sitting in front of you to back up this old chestnut that anti-carry people like to use to scare people into accepting less than optimal hardware.

OP, you'll find a lot of people use the factory (-) connector. Why do you ask?

vaglocker
06-14-10, 07:42
I am currently evaluating the 3.5 connector and NY1 spring in my carry gun, but if it turns out not to be for me then I will have no qualms with trying out the 3.5 with the standard springs.

VMI-MO
06-14-10, 08:25
I run just a straight 3.5 in all my Glocks.

PJ

calvin118
06-14-10, 09:53
I have a (-) connector in my G17. While it is not a carry gun, the resulting pull is still well over five pounds and still has a good bit of pre-travel. The idea that the (-) connector creates a dangerous 'hair trigger' is comical.

OhioFinance
06-14-10, 12:08
Subzero we are saying the same thing. If a shooting occurs there will be issues even if its just emotional, I know everyone likes to think they would be fine, but that usually isnt the case. I not suggesting as some would like to believe that you are immediately hauled off to jail and your glock trigger is to blame. Someone is either justified in there use of force or not. Obviously the biggest risk these days (or so it seems) is civil trials. And as you said the trigger pull issue is a non-issue.

JHC
06-14-10, 12:19
Subzero we are saying the same thing. If a shooting occurs there will be issues even if its just emotional, I know everyone likes to think they would be fine, but that usually isnt the case. I not suggesting as some would like to believe that you are immediately hauled off to jail and your glock trigger is to blame. Someone is either justified in there use of force or not. Obviously the biggest risk these days (or so it seems) is civil trials. And as you said the trigger pull issue is a non-issue.

Yes Ohio, I understood your point to be that one will have a lot of issues to deal with, but trigger pull is not likely to be one of them.

Roy
06-14-10, 13:15
I am forced by dep policy to run an 8# in my duty gun. the 3.5 and standard springs feels too light to me after thousands of rounds through my 22 and 21 with the NY1.. I run a NY1 and a 3.5 in my carry Off duty 19 and love it.. i wish we were able to run this set up on duty.

YMMV
ROY

subzero
06-14-10, 14:12
My mistake. I just re-read your post with fresh eyes and got what you were saying. I apologize.

OhioFinance
06-14-10, 14:41
:) Not a problem.

JonInWA
06-14-10, 18:18
After experimentation, I prefer either the standard 5.5 connector with the coil trigger spring, or the 4.5/3.5 connector with the NY1 spring.

The issue I have with the 4.5/3.5 connector and the coil spring set-up is regarding the discernability of the reset point-it's just too soft to be easily discernable with this combination. The NY1 spring provides a very crisp, discernable/repeatable reset point, and doesn't add that much weight to the triggerpull. It also provides a constant triggerpull weight throughout the pull, with more of a surprise break.

Best, Jon

HK45
06-14-10, 20:32
Please cite a source for this delusion.
Because a shoot is either good, or not good. Minor details like trigger pull weight are just that: minor.
I originally had a much longer, angrier post in reply to this nonsense, but maybe you actually have a case sitting in front of you to back up this old chestnut that anti-carry people like to use to scare people into accepting less than optimal hardware.
OP, you'll find a lot of people use the factory (-) connector. Why do you ask?

I've seen a hundred Massad Ayoob articles stating just that. He says that modifications to the firearm are looked at and prosecutors may use them against he person in question. Agree with him or not I'm pretty sure he's not anti-carry......
Which reminds me...who at Taurus thought it was a good idea to emblazon a handgun with the name "The Judge" on it?

Back to the topic, I use stock Glock triggers. I used to do the 3.5, tried the 3.5 and NY1, didn't like it. I'm fine with stock.

longball
06-14-10, 22:33
I've seen a hundred Massad Ayoob articles stating just that. He says that modifications to the firearm are looked at and prosecutors may use them against he person in question. Agree with him or not I'm pretty sure he's not anti-carry......

Which reminds me...who at Taurus thought it was a good idea to emblazon a handgun with the name "The Judge" on it?

Back to the topic, I use stock Glock triggers. I used to do the 3.5, tried the 3.5 and NY1, didn't like it. I'm fine with stock.
I have read some of those articles as well and that was the reason for my origional question about the liability of making modifications to a carry gun's trigger system. I was thinking about that a while back while shooting with a buddy who is a LEO here in MO. When I asked him he said it shouldn't be a problem, then went on to say their duty weapons come with a 3.5# connector (didn't mention anything about the springs and dummy me didn't ask) and he didn't imagine they would equip their G22 with that setup if there were liability issues involved. He's stopping by the house in the morning to run a few more rounds so I'll try to find out more about their duty setup and report back.

Surf
06-15-10, 00:10
Don't misunderstand Mr. Ayoob's role in the Alvarez / Johnson case as he clearly showed that it was not the weapons modification that was an issue, rather that Alvarez was justified to shoot and did so intentionally and not by accident due to the modification of the weapon. Also do not confuse a justified shooting vs a negligent shooting. Also do not confuse a part modification that inherently changes the function of a weapons overall parts interconnection in how the weapon is engineered or designed to function.

Surf
06-15-10, 00:14
Sorry, to answer the initial question, I have tried just about every combo and ran numerous drills and thousands of rounds on a timer. For all of this, I have come to the conclusion by feel and by timer that I definitely prefer and run a 3.5 and standard spring in the majority of my Glocks. My agency requires a standard NY1 set up, which I personally cannot stand.

mnagant762
06-15-10, 05:57
I've often wondered if it's clearly a good shoot are they really going to tear your weapon apart to make sure you haven't made any "evil modifications"

Dan Goodwin
06-15-10, 06:11
I got the first G35 I could find in my part of the country and have run it bone stock, except for CT LG in past few years, from the start. It works great.

Got a second hand G29 last year I'm pretty sure has the 3.5/NY1 setup; haven't been motivated to tear it apart to see. The gun had obviously been overhauled for an aficionado, or somebody who read too much stuff on the Internet: has a G34/35 mag release and oversized slide lock, too.

But, it works great, too.

Carry both off duty, at times.

SHIVAN
06-15-10, 09:19
Amazingly, I like the stock trigger.

RSA-OTC
06-15-10, 10:21
I've often wondered if it's clearly a good shoot are they really going to tear your weapon apart to make sure you haven't made any "evil modifications"

Quite frankly it depends on the prosecutor and your geographic areas political climate. Those that have no use for guns sometimes will do what they can to show how you were reckless by changing what Glock put in stock thus lightening the trigger pull dangerously/recklessly. In a recent article Ayoob stated that Glock themselves felt that 5.5 lbs is as light as a service weapon's trigger should be.

Frankly I'm more worried about the plaintiffs attorney in a civil suit. They will do what ever it takes to convince the jury you were a bad man or you negligently injured/killed their client or clients loved ones.
This is the reason toward the end of the revolver era most large department converted their weapons to double action only. So many times juries were convinced by so called "EXPERT" witnesses that the officer had cocked the gun and it went off accidentally even when the officer stated he intentionally shot the dude using double action. By converting the weapon to DA only it took the chance of that kind of prosecutional argument away.

PaulL
06-15-10, 13:42

Me too. I remember (back in the day) having the mentality that "stock" was the worst possible configuration for ANYTHING. I guess I've gotten wiser over the years.

My wife would disagree with that last part, though...

JonInWA
06-15-10, 14:49
The triggerpull on my G17 has always been exceptional, from the start, with its OEM 5.5 connector and coil spring set-up.

My G34 is the one I fiddle with; from the original 4.5 connector/coil spring, I went to a 4.5 connector /NY1 spring, to the current 5.5 connector/coil spring (since I compete concurrently with both my G17 and G34 in some matches, I thought it might be ideal for both to possess the same triggerpull characteristics and pull weights-I'll probably eventually go back to the 4.5/NY1 configuration for the G34, for the constant triggerpull and very discernable reset point).

Best, Jon

SWATcop556
06-15-10, 21:10

Agreed. And this is coming from a guy who prefers a custom 1911 trigger pull to anything. After many years of shooting and carrying professionally for almost a decade, I've tried everything from the NY1(-) combo to Bubba's Backwoods Trigger Job and out of them all, I always wind up back at the stock setup.

Surf
06-16-10, 00:55
Quite frankly it depends on the prosecutor and your geographic areas political climate. Those that have no use for guns sometimes will do what they can to show how you were reckless by changing what Glock put in stock thus lightening the trigger pull dangerously/recklessly. In a recent article Ayoob stated that Glock themselves felt that 5.5 lbs is as light as a service weapon's trigger should be.

Frankly I'm more worried about the plaintiffs attorney in a civil suit. They will do what ever it takes to convince the jury you were a bad man or you negligently injured/killed their client or clients loved ones.
This is the reason toward the end of the revolver era most large department converted their weapons to double action only. So many times juries were convinced by so called "EXPERT" witnesses that the officer had cocked the gun and it went off accidentally even when the officer stated he intentionally shot the dude using double action. By converting the weapon to DA only it took the chance of that kind of prosecutional argument away.With all due respect a good shoot is a good shoot. PD's went away from the ability of a cocked hammer due to NEGLIGENT discharges by Officers who would cock the hammer, which was very very old school SOP and fingers often on the triggers. Now these types of ND's were NOT good shoots to begin with. Which is also the reasoning behind a heavier trigger pull because many Officers can't keep their booger picker off of the bang button, which is more of a training issue than anything else.

Anyone can get sued for anything even if they did everything right. Been there, done that, more than once. The bottom line is that we should follow any departmental guidelines and stay within policy / procedure for the LEO's in regards to their weapons / modifications. This is moreso to remain indemnified by your PD / City etc, and fall as acting under your scope or color of your authority.

Personally I only carry a G27 as a back up and none of my other Glocks as I do not like the NY1 set up. For this reason, my Glocks are for the most part, "for fun" shooting and I find that a 3.5 and stock spring works best for me. A 5.5 and stock spring set up is a very close second. :)

MPi-KMS-72
06-16-10, 09:34

That reminds me-

A friend of mine has a Glock 23- that has the standard setup, 5.5 and coil spring and it, to me, is perfect- nice and crisp. I have a Glock 19 and have tried the exact same setup and it is mushy, indistinct, 100% completely different feel. You'd swear it is a completely different setup. I've tried all sorts of combinations of springs and connectors to get that 19 where I like it yet his 23 is perfect as is. I can't figure it out- exacly the same setup, same generation, the 23 is a couple years newer but I can't see any difference between the two that would account for how different the triggers feel between the two.

I am to the point now where I think the difference must be in the striker, or trigger bar, or a subtle difference in geometry?? I'm at a loss to explain it.

If I had started out with his 23 I'd never have changed a thing though. :confused:

Ga Shooter
06-16-10, 09:49
Like some of the other guys here I have tried about every combo for Glock that can be done. What I have in all of mine (3) is a Ghost Ultimate 3.5 all springs are stock. To me you get a very crsip reset and good trigger pull without the mushy feeling from the original or the revolver style pull of the NY1. To me this is a happy medium of the extremes. YMMV.