PDA

View Full Version : Geissele (SSA) In S&W MP 15

irocracer89
06-12-10, 11:48
I just installed the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic (SSA) in my S&W MP15, have a question...The top of the trigger contacts the safety selector and does not allow it to operate the second stage. Can the top of the trigger be milled of filed to clear the safety selector, and allow the second stage to operate??? I did notice the instruction did say some fitting may apply..

Belmont31R
06-12-10, 14:22
Yes its an issue with some selectors.

I would get a Colt semi auto selector from Brownells before I started hacking on a FCG or safety. I run 90% of the time with a Colt selector, and almost all SSA's without issue using that parts combo. They only cost about 20 bucks, and it would be a good excuse to stock up on some small parts while you are at it.

Robb Jensen
06-12-10, 15:00
Buy a new one or mod your safety and not the trigger. Always mod the cheaper part.

ALCOAR
06-12-10, 15:13
2 gents above me said it already, but do not hack that beauty of a trigger up:)

Belmont made an excellent suggestion for your troubles...colt selector will fix your ills. I have never run into this problem and rarely have heard mention of it but up until I got the new BAD-A.S.S. ambi selectors I ran both my SSA's in colt lowers w. the obvious colt selectors....if you do not want the colt selector, by all means treat yourself to a new BAD-A.S.S. as they work perfectly with SSA's as well.

ThirdWatcher
06-12-10, 19:58
Buy a new one or mod your safety and not the trigger. Always mod the cheaper part.

+1

I wouldn't do ANY modifications to a trigger as fine as the Giessele SSA.

irocracer89
06-15-10, 22:45
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into the Colt selector. I removed the selector to test the trigger, it still will not operate the second stage. I put a DM my friends DPMS 20 inch bull also it may need the Colt remedy as well. It is the same acts like a single stage trigger. We have had other things to do and not been able to get some range time.. Also I have no thoughts of modifying the trigger, it is a nice piece..

Jakal
06-16-10, 09:27
I have an SSA installed in my S&W15OR and did not have to modify anything.

Is the install correct?

I also put one in a Sundevil lower/ RRA .458 SOCOM upper combo and same thing, no modifications need.

Everything runs as it should.

aslink
06-16-10, 09:41
Not trying to hi jack the thread.

I can only use my selector if the AR has been cocked/charged. If the hammer has been dropped I can no longer use the selector. Is this normal? I would think being able to turn the selector on with the AR empty and not charged would be a safety feature. This way when you charge the AR with a live round your AR is already on safe.

Ken

Quiet-Matt
06-16-10, 09:43
Normal

aslink
06-16-10, 10:07
Thanks.

rljatl
06-16-10, 11:27
Do you have to modify the Colt selector when using a Geissele DMR? I believe most selectors require widening the selector slot as mentioned in the Geissele DMR instructions. Thanks.

CarlosDJackal
06-16-10, 16:05
I'll give you $100 for the SSA if you decide you don't want it. :D

5shot
06-16-10, 17:06
I'll give you $100 for the SSA if you decide you don't want it. :D

I'll do $110 :cool:

irocracer89
06-18-10, 21:54
No sale, sorry...This not my first trigger work only my first aftermarket unit. So I feel confident it is installed correctly.. I took it out to the range recently and must say it is worth the investment, started grouping right out.. It still fires like a single stage, there is no noticeable second stage.. But for the improvement it grouping it's a keeper..

ALCOAR
06-18-10, 22:50
No sale, sorry...This not my first trigger work only my first aftermarket unit. So I feel confident it is installed correctly.. I took it out to the range recently and must say it is worth the investment, started grouping right out.. It still fires like a single stage, there is no noticeable second stage.. But for the improvement it grouping it's a keeper..

That is awesome you are getting some improvements....however a 2 stage trigger kinda needs to have 2 stages...I would try and make sure you turn that one to two.

Are you cognitively "setting up on your trigger pulls" or rather snapping through it.....which I am thinking you are doing given the SSA affords the user that option but only should be using it once they know both options...as in a slower, setup pull with 2 stages as the other option. Why buy a 2 stage if you do not get that huge benefit of the setup.

irocracer89
06-20-10, 21:17
Trigger pull is slight using very tip of the finger, shoot between breaths..Still remember my BRM training.. No I never just slam through the trigger even on my bolt guns..

BDH
06-20-10, 22:47
when I installed my RRA 2-stage NM trigger, it gave me the same problems. A flat file job, parallel to the flat on the selector gave me the clearance to allow the tail of the trigger to rise, and function safely. Besides, it is the cheaper of the 2 parts. Just take it slow. You probably need only a few thousands worth of metal filed off. It's always easier to remove than to add material, and selector switches are easy to replace.
Bruce

Tosser
06-21-10, 13:35

My cav arms lower rocks a SSA and the safety had to be modified to function 100% due to the stacking loose tolerances of the cav arms lower. It was just 10 minutes of filing to get proper fit.

irocracer89
07-09-10, 01:43
I just took the trigger out again, to double check spring placement, and to make sure it was installed right..Function is fine, so I took the safety selector out to give me more room. Still operates like a single, the instructions say you will feel a stop. Which is second stage, what is the difference with the Colt selector..

Thanks

perna
07-09-10, 03:04
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into the Colt selector. I removed the selector to test the trigger, it still will not operate the second stage. I put a DM my friends DPMS 20 inch bull also it may need the Colt remedy as well. It is the same acts like a single stage trigger. We have had other things to do and not been able to get some range time.. Also I have no thoughts of modifying the trigger, it is a nice piece..

So you installed 2 different triggers in 2 guns and neither of them work correctly?

irocracer89
07-09-10, 13:12
The DM in the DPMS is fine, just required some more tinkering. The SSA in my Smith still does not work right. I like the DM trigger smooth, let off is crisp..Love the SSA also just wished it would work in my Smith...

sagmill
07-09-10, 22:47
iroc

Can you contact us please? Something is not right on your SSA. The shop# is 610-272-2060. We are in this Saturday, just leave a message if we dont get to the phone.

We will fix you up.

WHG

ALCOAR
07-10-10, 07:12
Well I guess this problem should have a happy resolution sometime soon :).....wish all handled their CS like GA does...for me its a large part of what makes "G" triggers the finest triggers in the market.....the other part being that they are actual dynamite units that work incredibly well :D

irocracer89
07-10-10, 13:11
Yes, I just called left my name and number. With companies pacing the buck these day's it's nice to that they stand by their products.. Let you know..

sff70
08-15-10, 00:26
Did you ever get this resolved?

If so, what was the solution?

Thanks

irocracer89
08-15-10, 17:19
Second SSA trigger with no change. Waiting on an adjustable one from Geissele. Was told my lower may be bad...The first SSA was returned to Geissele, functioned properly.

Duffy
08-15-10, 17:40
Do you have a caliper, if so, can you please measure the diameter of the selector center's flat area?

With cast parts there can be tolerance issues. The dozen or so cast selectors we took measurements off varied from 0.242 to 0.232. If the flat area that interfaces with the rear tang of the trigger is too thick, it can affect the trigger.

Our latest production units have a 0.235 thickness for better compatibility with aftermarket triggers.

I know our triggers work with AR Gold, KAC 2 stage, Geiselle SSA, JP single stage, RRA, WOA, Timney and Wilson TTU, and of course in spec stock triggers.

A gentleman with an AR Gold trigger had similar problems with his stock LWRC safety, it was solved after he installed one of ours, LWRC forum thread: http://forum.lwrci.com/newforum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7849

irocracer89
08-15-10, 18:28
Mine is 0.235 in, NOTE even with the safety selector out, I still notice no point where it operates a second stage. With slight trigger movement should you not feel a point where the second stage operates?

Duffy
08-15-10, 18:36
Hm.....:confused:

irocracer89
08-15-10, 18:42
That was my same thought...Starting to think my Persian gulf is kicking in...