PDA

View Full Version : UTG Under The Gun Gear experinces.

GunLovinTexan
05-27-07, 22:41
Title pretty much states it, how are they???

I picked up a Moelle vest system complete with STRIKE gear and wonderd how they are. I got the vest buy itself for $50 and all of the strike gear for an exta$25.

I know the STRIKE gear is GTG considering its from BlackHawk.

Oh yea i got a benchmade auto knife throwin in the deal for an extra 25 bucks.
I felt guilty but they wouldnt accept more money.

For once I scored at a Garage Sale. The people said that there son had picked up the gear and never used it for anything but then left home and he said just sell it and take the money. Im glad i stopped by this one thanx to my G/F.

Rob

SuicideHz
05-28-07, 00:19
Isn't UTG the company that makes the $60 chinese rails?

GunLovinTexan
05-28-07, 00:41
hmmm wouldnt suprise me. I was looking around and found out theres a UTG airsoft company. NVM those trauma plates were ceramic and fake me and my uncle just shatterd one. but the vest does accept Trauma plates.

And this thing does not look cheaply built or like they cut corners.

There must be two UTG companys????

Rob

http://www.militarycraft.com/assault_hunting_tactical_vests/utg_under_the_gun_ultimate_tactical_gear/

SuicideHz
05-28-07, 00:46
There could be- the real version and the 100% airsoft copy!

GunLovinTexan
05-28-07, 00:52
Nvm re read your post it makes since now....that could be it....so i know the STRIKE stuff is real now i wonder if the UTG stuff is the real deal or fake stuff. The fact that it accepts Trauma plates as peeked my interest and then having Fake Trauma plates in them peeked it even more.

GunLovinTexan
05-28-07, 01:12
Case Closed. Its an airsoft vest that carries REAL trauma plates :confused:

Turns out UTG is owned by Leapers Scopes

http://www.leapers.com/pages/tactical%20armor/utg.htm

Oh well i scored on the knife and the Blackhawk gear that was attached to the vest. I guess airsofters actually use blackhawk gear??????? Ill use the vest till it dies...

Rob

sproc
05-28-07, 09:22
I was under the impression that the UTG stuff is real, just cheap. That's why it appeals to airsofters. I don't think it would hold up well under daily use in Iraq, it should work alright for less intense usage.

BTW, you'd be amazed at the high-end gear some airsofters use. While they don't put real plates in them, CIRAS and other $250+ vests are popular. And some of the high-end guns cost well over $1,000.

GunLovinTexan
05-28-07, 10:41
:eek: yeesh for well over a 1000 bucks i could buy the real thing.

Though the UTG vest is cheap im not in a life or death situation or depend on my gear with life so thats why i decided to just use it till it dies.

SuicideHz
05-28-07, 11:09
Oh those airsofters will pay more for some fake parts than we pay for real parts. Look at redwolfairsoft.com. We used to be able to shoot each other in our old office ;) so I've visited those sites.

Some things like A2 grips are twice the price of a real A2 grip.

Mojo58
05-28-07, 11:58
You get what you pay for and from what I've seen...crap.

sproc
05-29-07, 15:10
Firearms are my first love, but I must admit the force-on-force ability with airsoft makes for some good fun. The hard part is to not let airsoft mess up your firearms training (failure drills are much different, for example).

Yeah, good ones cost too much, but I think that's largely due to the low production volume. If people bought guns (real or airsoft) as often as they bought TVs, they'd be nice and cheap. :-)

macman37
06-02-07, 19:04
I have two UTG items -- a SWEET padded rifle case and a 3DAP sized backpack I got for testing the concept out (If I like the idea of the 3DAP I will definitely upgrade).

Both are good for what i got them for. I wouldn't hang Airsoft quality stuff off my real rifles though.

KevinB
06-04-07, 04:52
FWIW -- I dont consider Blackhawk to be quality gear.

Pat_Rogers
06-04-07, 08:20

An understatement if i ever heard one:eek:

Dave L.
06-04-07, 13:34

You have to admit, those 8mil Ziplock bags that BH gear comes in is pretty high Quality:D

TheDutchman
06-21-07, 13:22
That stuff is crap spend the extra money and get a Eagle plate carrier. its well worth it. However I did buy two Spec Ops pouches that work just fine.

GunLovinTexan
06-25-07, 23:26
so the general consensus is UTG is crap???

Mojo58
06-26-07, 01:46
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Hey I bought a couple pouches from the Spec Ops Gear guys too. They make really good quality nylon! Check 'em out and I'm sure you'll be happy you did. I met one of their guys once and he sure as hell impressed me with his passion for quality gear.

KevinB
06-26-07, 05:05
Ugggg -- Spec Ops gear...
You know I will never figure out why the PX lets them peddle their crap there.

GunLovinTexan
06-26-07, 12:25
so then is Blackhawkquality gear or not??? or was he being sarcastic?

Rob

shark31
06-26-07, 12:36
Every piece of Blackhawk gear that I saw in Iraq had a life of under 2 months. I can't believe that they are run by a vet.

ETA: I have heard good things about their kydex holsters though. I'm not sure if they just market them, or actually produce them (my money is on marketing since they DO have that area down to an art).

GunLovinTexan
06-26-07, 13:08
That I wouldnt doubt in the least.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Eagle Ciras? Thats a hefty coin for a vest.

Im looking for the next vest. When my UTG breaks ill replace it with something quality.

Rob

Mojo58
06-26-07, 13:18
Ugggg -- Spec Ops gear...
You know I will never figure out why the PX lets them peddle their crap there.

I obviously wasn't aware of their deficiencies KevinB. I sure would like to know from your experience, what you would recommend and maybe some of the sketchy ones to stay away from. PM me so as not to highjack this thread.

BTW, disregard my last post regarding Spec Ops Gear because my opinion is based on less experience than KevinB.

eggroll
06-26-07, 15:58
use what works for you

yes theres a bit of sarcasm there, but it is not like it isnt well-earned from whomever you speak to BPG has been dinged on their business practices, from locations of factories, and wholesale copying of of companys efforts.

UTG is spotty at best, and the examples I have examined left much to be desired in a variety of ways.

eggroll
06-26-07, 16:03
That I wouldnt doubt in the least.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the Eagle Ciras? Thats a hefty coin for a vest.

Im looking for the next vest. When my UTG breaks ill replace it with something quality.

Rob

do you have the armor to go in it? if not, then its really is somewhat pointless to buy this hefty coin item. The soft armor (actual SPEAR/BALCS pattern cut) goes a long way to making this setup structurally sound for loadbearing.

oh and the armor is about another 800-1100 worth of coin.

the CIRAS does the job, is comfortable relatively and affords to cutaway feature

it is quite the jump to go to a CIRAS from a UTG unit

ctrmass
06-26-07, 17:15
Blackhawk is NOT considered to be GTG or cream of the crop.

Eagle, ATS (Lightfighter), S.O.Tech, LBT, Paraclete, Tactical tailor, TAG, Specter slings, all GTG.
I know I'm forgetting a few.....:(

I own some Blackhawk stuff. It's OK, just not top shelf gear.

GunLovinTexan
06-26-07, 21:35
I have my reason for the big jump to Ciras unit from the UTG. I dont like having the zipper or buckles in the middle of my chest in my opinion it takes away versatilty in the vest.

Rob

I figured Eagle was GTG.

KevinB
06-27-07, 14:12
I run a CIRAS -- its a good piece of kit -- if you need plates and soft amor.

However I think if you DONT, that your better served by other rigs.

Any company can put out a Lemon -- and some "iffy" companies can make one or two pieces of good gear (by accident I think with some...)

I been issued or bought 17 different rigs over the years to end where I am now -- and I have two basic setup now for work - a high pro rig (my CIRAS) and a lower pro (Eagle Plate carrier).

my GTG list (which is by no means all ecompassing) is (and in no particular order)

Eagle
Paraclete
HSGI
TAG
ENDOM
EGGROL
CSM Gear
Maxpedition
Kifaru
DBT
PSP
Tactical Tailor
ATS
SOE Gear (John Willis - not his ex, althought he can be a PITA he makes excellent gear)

I have a Spec Ops rigger belt which is decent but not as nice as my Spectre gear ones. (I have three of the Spectre gear belts -- but nothing esle so I hesitate to make a blanket statement that they are GTG)

HolyRoller
07-16-07, 23:02
The only UTG product I have is a rifle case that fits my M&P-15 just right. I got it at a gun show table that had lots of cases on it, and was trying to cram my rifle, Short Dot and SureFire 900A and all, into one tapered case after another for 10 minutes as the helpful lady looked on. I finally managed to get the zipper of one case around the VFG and was about to reluctantly buy it when she said, "how about one of these square ones over here?"

Square ones?

I'm glad I had somebody around to save me from myself. A minute later I had a case that fit my rifle perfectly, and with a great big side pocket that I soon found out will hold mags, boxed rifle and pistol ammo, bulbs, batts, traffic vest, dry socks, Mil-Dot Master, a couple cans of Chef Boy-Ar-Dee, a complete criminal and traffic statute book, and a paperback or two for those idle evenings in the hospital babysitting mental cases.

Now when I go on patrol all I have to do is throw this case and my plate carrier, which actually has plates in it thanks to a good deal I was able to work last year, in the FTO's trunk, remembering to turn on the scope dot. The rest of the time, my UTG case sits in the POV trunk with enough other stuff against it to hold it zipper-up. I keep the rifle in cruiser safe with BFG sling folded just so, and it's less than 10 seconds from locked trunk to Condition 1.

Of course you can do the same thing with any other rifle case that's rectangular and has a "taco" zipper. I have no experience with UTG gear that's meant for hard use, but I'm deliriously happy with their case. As I recall, it was inexpensive too, and I was able to buy ONE HK mag with the savings ... then they invented PMAGS, dangit.