PDA

View Full Version : Dropping the hammer with no upper

1911pro
06-12-10, 19:38
I know this cannot be a good thing to do. Can you damage anything in the lower? I had a tard moment and let it drop :(

4thPointOfContact
06-12-10, 19:45
I know this cannot be a good thing to do. Can you damage anything in the lower? I had a tard moment and let it drop :(

It's very possible. I bought a DPMS lower from someone who needed money quickly. I didn't inspect it closely until I got it home and found evidence of peening where the hammer would impact the lower receiver. A magazine catch would not fit in the slot until it was opened up and even now it has less than optimal engagment. I'll probably sell it to someone I thing has no business owning a firearm one day. :D

Col_Crocs
06-12-10, 19:46
Yes, doing so can potentially break your bolt catch. Check it for signs of cracking.

Col_Crocs
06-12-10, 19:53
I'll probably sell it to someone I thing has no business owning a firearm one day. :D
That's nice.:D Im not sure whether or not I should feel guilty for laughing.
On a more serious note, is it not engaging from still catching the skewed portion or has opening it up caused lateral movement inside the now larger slot?

Quib
06-12-10, 20:00
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53946

1911pro
06-12-10, 20:10
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=53946

Thanks. I feel better now.

4thPointOfContact
06-12-10, 20:29
That's nice.:D Im not sure whether or not I should feel guilty for laughing.
On a more serious note, is it not engaging from still catching the skewed portion or has opening it up caused lateral movement inside the now larger slot?

The magazine catch that's in there now, wriggles around noticeably more than the magazine catch on my S&W 15T. It's an aftermarket catch, though. I'll replace it with a mil-std one and see if that helps. Right now, Magpuls and std. magazines will fall from the receiver with a firm pull.

clasky
06-14-10, 08:50
This will eventually lead to some cracked parts. Check your bolt catch.