PDA

View Full Version : Short Barreled Shotgun? Is it worth $200.00

BKS
06-12-10, 22:57
I have a bug for a short barreled shotgun. I can't carry it at work, so it would just be for home defense and giggles.
I am almost sure that I want one but want to know from people who have them, is it worth the $200.00 and the wait, etc?

I have two shotguns that I am trying to choose from also so if you want to comment on that, go ahead.

80's model Wingmaster, smooth as glass, but doesnt have flex tab system. Was a HS graduation gift from my parents so it already isn't going anywhere. I was thinking 12" or 14" barrel with a XS big dot.

2000 Model Marine Magnum, Wilson Ghost Rings, currently has a Vang comp barrel on it, I expect that a new MM barrel would be pretty expensive and don't want to cut up my Vang barrel.

Alaskapopo
06-13-10, 00:18
I have a bug for a short barreled shotgun. I can't carry it at work, so it would just be for home defense and giggles.
I am almost sure that I want one but want to know from people who have them, is it worth the $200.00 and the wait, etc?

I have two shotguns that I am trying to choose from also so if you want to comment on that, go ahead.

80's model Wingmaster, smooth as glass, but doesnt have flex tab system. Was a HS graduation gift from my parents so it already isn't going anywhere. I was thinking 12" or 14" barrel with a XS big dot.

2000 Model Marine Magnum, Wilson Ghost Rings, currently has a Vang comp barrel on it, I expect that a new MM barrel would be pretty expensive and don't want to cut up my Vang barrel.

I think its worth it. Its a lot handier to have a 14 inch barrel vs a 18 inch one. They fit in gun racks better and are easier to maneuver around with inside.
Pat
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g299/355sigfan/shotguns/VangComped870.jpg

99HMC4
06-13-10, 00:21
SBRs and SBSs are worth every penny......:D

JeepDriver
06-13-10, 09:38
I bought a factory 590A1 SBS, well worth the $200 extra.

Add a Surefire forend and it's perfect home defense.

Don Robison
06-13-10, 11:20
I thought it was worth it. A few years ago 44mags had 14" 590 kits less the receiver so I built up a 500 receiver I had laying around. It actually the SG that gets shot the most.

Artos
06-13-10, 12:32
I didn't think short bbl shotguns had the same $200 nfa fee...i know it is the same process but scatterguns were substantially less for the sticker compared to the sbr's, machine guns, suppressors.....

Zhurdan
06-13-10, 13:35
AOW's are $5, SBS's are $200. The differences can be seen in something like the Serbu shorty vs. a 14" shotgun with a stock. I don't believe you can put a stock on an AOW. That's how I've read it but would happily be corrected by someone with more knowledge.

westcoastfrog
06-13-10, 14:10
if the people's republic of california would let me i would do it in a heartbeat.

tracker722
06-14-10, 11:07

User Name
06-14-10, 12:43
If you like shotguns then yes it is worth it. I never use my 18" guns anymore now that I have my 14" 870.

Jager
06-14-10, 15:49
Yes, without a doubt!

m24shooter
06-15-10, 22:58
I'm waiting for the paperwork to come through on my 14" 590A1. Having handled it a little and shot some a while back, I'd say it's worth it. Much better than the 20" behemoth and noticeably different than the 18.5" versions when you're moving around inside or getting in and out of vehicles.
I can't wait to get mine in.

Goshen606
06-16-10, 13:16
I would think so. Alabama has recently repealed it's ban on SBR's and SBS's. I plan to file the paperwork on a SBR as soon as the law takes effect.

decodeddiesel
06-16-10, 14:57
I think it's worth it. I can tell you I really wish we would have had 14" shotguns in the Army as opposed to the 18.5". Yes the vast majority of what we used them for was ballistic breaching, but even so a 14" would have been a lot better. I think with a dedicated HD or tactical shotgun a 5 shot 14" 590A1 with a reduced LOP stock, sling, side saddle, and a Surefire forend would be the cat's meow.

Apples to oranges, but going to a 10.5" MK18 style AR was one of the best gun purchases I have ever made.

TehLlama
06-16-10, 15:37
I'd say absolutely worth it, but I'd see a reason for 90% of folks to go with an SBR first, and then add an SBS down the road.

Goshen606
06-16-10, 17:28
I'd say absolutely worth it, but I'd see a reason for 90% of folks to go with an SBR first, and then add an SBS down the road.

I agree, my first project is the SBR, then down the road an SBS.

Mr. Smith
06-16-10, 17:53
We did this gun some time ago it is still the talk of the shop when it comes to shotgun.
The fact that it does not lose anything when you get the gun smaller. It is the most bang for the buck.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/TAN%20870/100_1101-Copy.jpg

Caeser25
06-17-10, 21:47
Haven't seen anybody mention an 1100.

VolGrad
06-18-10, 21:37
I'm not really a shotgun guy so I went with the $5 AOW ...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/IMG_5230.jpg

I would prob get a SBR before a SBS but can't really justify either for myself as a HD gun. Fact is I still go for the pistol first every time. YMMV.

jercdevil
06-24-10, 19:22
I built this to mirror the SS remington 870 :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/jercdevil/P1050249.jpg

Roy
07-01-10, 21:41
If we could have them here id be all over it. we have a few at work and it makes them very nice and manueravable inside and makes them very fast out of a car and into action

Alaskapopo
07-01-10, 23:45
I appreciate my 14 inch 870 even more than I now have a new 2010 Chevy Impala as a patrol vehicle. The 18 inch guns are a very tight squeeze into the gun rack. My 14 inch gun is perfect. The only problem is my Noveske will not fit in the rack with my Swarovski scope attached so it rides in the trunk.
Pat

GroundLabTactical
07-02-10, 12:29
:(... Looks like I have to spend more money now :p

arbninftry
07-02-10, 21:58
I'm not really a shotgun guy so I went with the $5 AOW ...

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd208/volgrad/IMG_5230.jpg

I would prob get a SBR before a SBS but can't really justify either for myself as a HD gun. Fact is I still go for the pistol first every time. YMMV.

VOLGRAD a Question?
My local Big 5 and Academy have pistol grip shotguns, how is that different, is it just the check for a pistol, because neither company sells SBRs or SBSs? Or was that just where you are at and that has to be regestired as a AOW. Because from my understaning ATF has consistently taken the position that a shotgun that leaves the factory with a pistol grip and no buttstock, and is kept in that condition, is a pistol rather than a shotgun.

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter10.txt
and
http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/national_firearms_act/index.php

I guess my question is was it necessary to go the AOW route, or am I missing something.

I am really ignorant on the SBS and SBR stuff, so please forgive me if I am out there flapping.
Because I really want one so I am inquiring on the difference.

Thanks

Dan Goodwin
07-03-10, 07:34
VOLGRAD a Question?
My local Big 5 and Academy have pistol grip shotguns, how is that different, is it just the check for a pistol, because neither company sells SBRs or SBSs? Or was that just where you are at and that has to be regestired as a AOW. Because from my understaning ATF has consistently taken the position that a shotgun that leaves the factory with a pistol grip and no buttstock, and is kept in that condition, is a pistol rather than a shotgun.

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/atf_letter10.txt
and
http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/national_firearms_act/index.php

I guess my question is was it necessary to go the AOW route, or am I missing something.

I am really ignorant on the SBS and SBR stuff, so please forgive me if I am out there flapping.
Because I really want one so I am inquiring on the difference.

Thanks

Well, I'm just an MTSU Grad, but I think I can give ya a quick answer:

What you're probably looking at at your Big 5 is a Mossberg with an 18-in. bbl. and a pistol grip.

AOWs have a pistol grip and barrel shorter than 18-in. under the NFA. If you want a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18 AND a stock it must be registered as an SBS.

AOWs look badass, but many find them somewhat hard to hit with.

But get an registered SBS and you can use just a pistol grip on it at your leisure. Put a shoulder stock on an AOW and it could lead to 10 years in Club Fed.

In regards to the OP, shorter is better for home defense. And, I guess I'm getting old, IMO a 20 in. SxS is a pretty good alternative and offers enough rounds for most HD scenarios.

Now, you SBS a SxS and you are talking seriously handy indoors. And intimidating if they get to see the two yawning muzzles before the bright flash.

For those that want to avoid NFA but yearn for a truly nasty indoor weapon, check out Dixie Arms' Howdah Pistol. Sure, it's a muzzleloader, but a 20 ga. SxS pistol would be fairly effective inside.:D

PRMAN45ACP
07-03-10, 08:47
Where I can find a 14" barrel for my 870? Who sell them?:)

arbninftry
07-03-10, 11:34
Well, I'm just an MTSU Grad, but I think I can give ya a quick answer:

What you're probably looking at at your Big 5 is a Mossberg with an 18-in. bbl. and a pistol grip.

AOWs have a pistol grip and barrel shorter than 18-in. under the NFA. If you want a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18 AND a stock it must be registered as an SBS.

AOWs look badass, but many find them somewhat hard to hit with.

But get an registered SBS and you can use just a pistol grip on it at your leisure. Put a shoulder stock on an AOW and it could lead to 10 years in Club Fed.

In regards to the OP, shorter is better for home defense. And, I guess I'm getting old, IMO a 20 in. SxS is a pretty good alternative and offers enough rounds for most HD scenarios.

Now, you SBS a SxS and you are talking seriously handy indoors. And intimidating if they get to see the two yawning muzzles before the bright flash.

For those that want to avoid NFA but yearn for a truly nasty indoor weapon, check out Dixie Arms' Howdah Pistol. Sure, it's a muzzleloader, but a 20 ga. SxS pistol would be fairly effective inside.:D

Thanks, that makes sense.
At least your not an Austin Pea grad:D

Dunderway
07-03-10, 18:37
Just another opinion:

We switched from 18" 870P's to 14 inchers, and the difference was amazing. If I ever had to depend on a shotgun again and lived in a free state (or LE), it would have a 14" barrel without question.

If it wasn't already mentioned, Remington LE dealers should be able to get NFA 870Ps.

Jake'sDad
07-03-10, 22:50
Just another opinion:

We switched from 18" 870P's to 14 inchers, and the difference was amazing.

+1

My old department cut our 18" and 20" guns down to around 14" in about 1981 when they wouldn't fit in the old racks with the new cars we got. Night and day difference in maneuverability and I took it out of the car far more often after they cut them. Only bad part was they were too cheap to replace the beads on them, so they just cut them off with pipe cutters and we ended up with no sight at all.......

User Name
07-04-10, 13:32

Botach had them a while ago. Remington restricts the hell out of them so finding them can be a bitch. I bought a used one for $75 with rifle sights. Either plan on playing the lengthy waiting and searching game or have one cut down.

TroyTK
07-04-10, 13:33
My old department cut our 18" and 20" guns down to around 14" in about 1981 when they wouldn't fit in the old racks with the new cars we got. Night and day difference in maneuverability and I took it out of the car far more often after they cut them. Only bad part was they were too cheap to replace the beads on them, so they just cut them off with pipe cutters and we ended up with no sight at all.......

I've heard of some pretty silly things that departments do, but intentionally removing sights from a gun, then issuing it out! Talk about a lawsuit if/when someone ever hits something that they did not mean to...

User Name
07-04-10, 13:34
+1

Only bad part was they were too cheap to replace the beads on them, so they just cut them off with pipe cutters and we ended up with no sight at all.......

That really is some serious budgeting!

usmcvet
08-01-10, 22:26

Botach Tactical has them for $119.95 that is a great price. I want an AOW just because I like the size and the $5 stamp.

Jake'sDad
08-02-10, 00:41
I've heard of some pretty silly things that departments do, but intentionally removing sights from a gun, then issuing it out! Talk about a lawsuit if/when someone ever hits something that they did not mean to...

And of course, had that happened, they would have bought each one of us our own personal custom ghost ring sighted 870, and sent us all to a two week long big name school.

Always money to overreact with after the fact....never money to fix it for a fraction as much beforehand..... that's how it usually went in those days....and probably still does.....

Iraqgunz
08-02-10, 06:16
My Remington looks very comfortable with the 14" barrel from Botach.

Army Chief
08-02-10, 06:23
When I went this route, I didn't need a buttstock, so the AOW option made more immediate sense (Witness Protection 870). Never had a cause for complaint, but I do think you gain a lot more versatility with the ability to shoulder the weapon -- no great news flash there. For this reason, and considering that you pay the tax once in your life, I'd say that it is definitely worthwhile to ante up for the $200.

There are things that you can do with a short scattergun that cannot readily be done with any other kind of weapon, and if you have any inclination whatsoever to explore this, it just makes sense to go "all in" for a SBS, and avoid the long-term compromises that an AOW will impose upon you.

AC

Th3Revreant
08-03-10, 21:15
We did this gun some time ago it is still the talk of the shop when it comes to shotgun.
The fact that it does not lose anything when you get the gun smaller. It is the most bang for the buck.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/TAN%20870/100_1101-Copy.jpg

thats awsome, would love to get one. I say go for it. Im looking into getting a sbr at the moment.

Bobert0989
08-04-10, 22:13
+1

They'd probably just blame an officer that used it w/o the sight if anything ever came of it.

"He should've liquid-nailed a bead on that thing!" ~ Local PD press conference

Quiet
08-06-10, 03:15
It's $5 to transfer an AOW and $200 to make an AOW.

IMO...
Going the AOW route is for people who live in states that can not own SBSs but can own AOWs, like WA and CA.

jsbsmarine
08-06-10, 14:41
Bingo,
As a resident of CA i can't get an SBS so i went the AOW route and picked up a witness protection 870 with a 12.5 barrel and a birdshead pistol grip. Very practical and the angle of the grip helps manage recoil well.
If you go with an AOW, i highly suggest bypassing a regular pistol grip and throw on a birdshead.

usmcvet
08-06-10, 16:15
My Remington looks very comfortable with the 14" barrel from Botach.

I did not know it was $200 to manufacture the AOW I knew it was a $5 stamp to transfer.