PDA

View Full Version : Researching for my first AR

Blstr88
06-13-10, 09:00
Hey guys, so basically I'm getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a carbine, and something in the AR family is what Im aiming for. Im stuck overseas with work for the next 6 weeks so I figured I'd use this time on the internet to learn some, then pick something up when Im back.

I own a few firearms now, but no carbines. I've got 2 Berettas chambered in .40 S&W, a Walther P22, a cheapo rifle in .22, and a Mossberg 12ga shotgun. Do have some basic questions to kick it off though.

I kinda just assumed I'd go with .223 (which is also 5.56, correct?) but after looking into it more I learned AR's come in a variety of calibers. Ultimately the decision on which caliber I go with will be decided after Im home, so Im going to spend a few days really looking around local stores/shops and figure out which caliber is most common, then go with that.

I did see that there are AR's chambered in 7.62x39? Anyone have any experience with these, and how do you like them? Im actually leaning towards that the most I think (depending on availabilty in my area). What companies make the ARs in 7.62??

As for what Im looking to spend, I originally was thinking around $1000. After looking at a lot of posts on here about price, I see they range from about $800 for the lowest end, to $1300 or so for the upper end. Im ok with spending more like $1300 if it's going to buy me a better, higher quality rifle. Does anyone have any brands they strongly suggest staying away from? Or any brands they highly recommend?

I'm sure Ill have tons more questions, just figured Id throw out a few Ive been pondering to kick start this. Thanks!

RogerinTPA
06-13-10, 09:22
Hey guys, so basically I'm getting ready to "pull the trigger" on a carbine, and something in the AR family is what Im aiming for. Im stuck overseas with work for the next 6 weeks so I figured I'd use this time on the internet to learn some, then pick something up when Im back.

I own a few firearms now, but no carbines. I've got 2 Berettas chambered in .40 S&W, a Walther P22, a cheapo rifle in .22, and a Mossberg 12ga shotgun. Do have some basic questions to kick it off though.

I kinda just assumed I'd go with .223 (which is also 5.56, correct?) but after looking into it more I learned AR's come in a variety of calibers. Ultimately the decision on which caliber I go with will be decided after Im home, so Im going to spend a few days really looking around local stores/shops and figure out which caliber is most common, then go with that.

I did see that there are AR's chambered in 7.62x39? Anyone have any experience with these, and how do you like them? Im actually leaning towards that the most I think (depending on availabilty in my area). What companies make the ARs in 7.62??

As for what Im looking to spend, I originally was thinking around $1000. After looking at a lot of posts on here about price, I see they range from about $800 for the lowest end, to $1300 or so for the upper end. Im ok with spending more like $1300 if it's going to buy me a better, higher quality rifle. Does anyone have any brands they strongly suggest staying away from? Or any brands they highly recommend?

I'm sure Ill have tons more questions, just figured Id throw out a few Ive been pondering to kick start this. Thanks!

Sounds like you have money burning a hole in your wallet, without doing adequate research. No...223 doesn't = a 5.56mm chamber. Start here:https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Entropy
06-13-10, 10:25
Looks like you have a lot of researching to do. The short answers are:

1) A .223 and 5.56 chambering are not the same. 5.56 chamberings are able to shoot a wider variety of ammunition and are generally best for the AR-15 or any other military style rifle. 5.56 chambers can shoot both .223 and 5.56. You run into problems if you try to shoot 5.56 out of a .223 chamber.

2) You didn't ask about it, but barrel twist rate will also determine what ammo you can shoot out of your AR. A 1:7" twist rate is generally the ideal configuration to allow you to shoot a wide range of ammunition types.

3) When it comes to shooting 7.62x39, you're better off using an AK-47. The 7.62 cartridge has a steep taper, and the straight magazine well of the AR-15 forces the cartridge stack in the magazine to sit unnaturally. This leads to a lot of magazine problems in the AR platform. Stay away from 7.62x39 in the AR.

4) I'd wait before you buy so that you broaden your knowledge base first. There are absolute crap ARs on the market, and if you don't know what you're looking for, you are likely to buy one. Personally, I would ONLY buy an AR if it is made by Colt, Bravo Company Manufacturing, Noveske, Lewis Machine and Tool, or Daniel Defense. You can't go wrong with a Colt model 6920.

et2041
06-13-10, 11:01
Looks like you have a lot of researching to do. The short answers are:

1) A .223 and 5.56 chambering are not the same. 5.56 chamberings are able to shoot a wider variety of ammunition and are generally best for the AR-15 or any other military style rifle. 5.56 chambers can shoot both .223 and 5.56. You run into problems if you try to shoot 5.56 out of a .223 chamber.

2) You didn't ask about it, but barrel twist rate will also determine what ammo you can shoot out of your AR. A 1:7" twist rate is generally the ideal configuration to allow you to shoot a wide range of ammunition types.

3) When it comes to shooting 7.62x39, you're better off using an AK-47. The 7.62 cartridge has a steep taper, and the straight magazine well of the AR-15 forces the cartridge stack in the magazine to sit unnaturally. This leads to a lot of magazine problems in the AR platform. Stay away from 7.62x39 in the AR.

4) I'd wait before you buy so that you broaden your knowledge base first. There are absolute crap ARs on the market, and if you don't know what you're looking for, you are likely to buy one. Personally, I would ONLY buy an AR if it is made by Colt, Bravo Company Manufacturing, Noveske, Lewis Machine and Tool, or Daniel Defense. You can't go wrong with a Colt model 6920.

Good selection from your list, just add KAC to it.

SteveS
06-13-10, 11:13
Stop doing research you are wasting your time as the best quality ARs are the BCM rifles /parts and Colts all the others are second best, trendy brand identification or less.

ge_traveler
06-13-10, 11:28
You are doing the right thing, do your research up front before purchasing an AR. As others have stated, there are numerous brands out there, some that will seem like too good of a deal to pass up. But, be careful when choosing. Look at all of the specs and determine what is important to you; i.e. cold hammer forged barrel or not, M4 feedramps or not, carbine length or mid-length, etc. If these terms are confusing, keep doing some research on this site. This site is full of great information and will lead you in the right direction.

After you are comfortable with the terminology and know what you want, check out the brands listed in the posts above. You can't go wrong with any of those brands and you should easily find something to fit your budget for $1300. I tend to like DD but BCM also has some great products.

Hope this helps

Failure2Stop
06-13-10, 13:10
Your question is pretty much the secondary purpose of the forum as a whole (the prime purpose being training and employment).
As such, the forum as a whole will answer your questions if you take the time and look around. Read the stickies, do searches of the site, use google if you have problems with definitions and terms.
It is much easier to give advice to someone that has taken some time and exerted some effort to learn about the topic.

I am going to close this thread, not because you are not welcome to ask questions, but rather because these topics have been covered many times before in great detail, and to wrap all of these conversations together would make the thread erratic and annoying.
How well you will fit in here at M4Carbine.net will be determined by your next move. If you take a day or two to do the research and ask informed questions, you will find a good hangout spot. If you immediately turn around and ask the same questions, you will not have such a fun time.

By the way- local gunstores rarely carry the most recommended ARs, but rather inflate whatever they carry, at an inflated price. I highly recomend buying from a reputable dealer and having the weapon shipped to your local FFL.