PDA

View Full Version : Advice on getting started for newbies in subdivsions

Ukamono
06-13-10, 11:35
So... I am new to this topic and would like to get into it in a serious, meaningful, fun, and practical way for someone who lives in a subdivision within city limits.

I do have a Borders close by (then who doesn't!) and I can get the recommended books. However no matter how much you read... there is no substitute for getting your hands dirty.

Any of you started from the same place I am today? Did you took your kids camping in the backyard as the first step after reading books? (joking ...but seriously....)

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated ... BTW, I am in Apex NC ... and have a .5 acre to play with ... WOW!!!! Not the real outdoors...but there are snakes there!

Thanks for all the information provided .. and Thanks in advance for your advice.

thx
Carlos

perna
06-13-10, 21:02
I am not really sure what you are asking about.

If you are talking about survival skills and have zero experience I would say a few books and checking web sites is a good start. As far as camping, I always test equipment in the backyard before I go camping. There is nothing worse than going on a camping trip and have equipment not work, missing parts, broken, or taking hours to figure out how to use it.

Camping is pretty easy to get into and State parks are great places to go. There are some that have plenty of things to do, like fishing, hunting, and boating, which are all good skills.