PDA

View Full Version : Is there a point to magnified optics on x39 rifles?

misanthropist
06-13-10, 16:50
Something I have been wondering recently...do you see a point to a 1-4x24 on an 7.62x39 rifle?

So far I have generally thought, "no". I have never really thought of it as a viable round after 200m or so, so my x39 rifle has always worn a quality red dot.

But I have been kicking around the idea of putting a 1-4 optic on a VZ now that Northeastern/Troy released their 2nd gen cantilever mount.

But am I really just looking for an excuse to buy new stuff? Or is there a point to a 1-4 on an x39 gun?

Alaskapopo
06-13-10, 21:02
Something I have been wondering recently...do you see a point to a 1-4x24 on an 7.62x39 rifle?

So far I have generally thought, "no". I have never really thought of it as a viable round after 200m or so, so my x39 rifle has always worn a quality red dot.

But I have been kicking around the idea of putting a 1-4 optic on a VZ now that Northeastern/Troy released their 2nd gen cantilever mount.

But am I really just looking for an excuse to buy new stuff? Or is there a point to a 1-4 on an x39 gun?

I would say there would be a point assuming you have an accurate one. Magnification is not only about shooting further out its also about hitting smaller targets up close easier. That is my opinion anyway.
Pat

Pikey
06-19-10, 17:34
If you could figure out the trajectory you could dial in the bullet drop making the round more usable past 200 yards. But why bother, every x39 gun that I can think of screams for a mrd.

m4fun
06-19-10, 23:48
There are 7.62x39 bolt guns. Agree with the greater accuracy comment. IMHO a 4x tops out this round.

misanthropist
06-20-10, 17:43
These are sensible replies...considering 99% of the x39 I shoot is corrosive surplus that would be 4moa on a good day, I guess I have no good reason to set up a 1-4X gun.

Maybe when the surplus starts to dry up and I start having to reload for x39, though...at that point I think the accuracy will be fairly decent.

I shoot VZ58s a lot these days. They are good guns, I believe, and I have one with a 19" barrel that I thought might be fun with a 1-4. But I do not like to give in to the "it'll just be a cool gun" desire...I do not like to stray much from the "this is a purpose-built machine for task XYZ" approach.

NMBigfoot02
06-20-10, 21:05
Depends on what you're using it for. In a purely defensive role, you're probably better off with an R-1 or H-1 on an Ultimak (assuming you're running an AK).