PDA

View Full Version : concealed carry question

ROGOPGEAR
06-13-10, 21:59
I've been carrying concealed for nearly a year now, and usually carry on my hip under a suit jacket (to church), or under a light jacket out around town. The last few days here (PA) it has been horribly hot and humid, and making some of the normal carrying practices a little difficult. I wore a suit to church this morning so I was fine, but tonight I wore a pair of jeans and a loose polo, but there was no way to carry on my hip underneath the polo without printing horribly. I placed my holster in the small of my back (as I have some times in the past), which is severely less than ideal, but out of necessity. While sitting in church and getting muscle spasms and thinking there has got to be something better, and finally tired of being forced to carry this way, I decided to ask for opinions.

So, how do you guys carry in hot weather, do you wear a looser overshirt, carry a manbag, change what or where you are carrying, etc. For my info, I carry a Glock 22, which is full sized so it is a little harder to conceal. Besides getting a compact or slimmer handgun, are there other suggestions you guys have? Thanx.

CyberM4
06-13-10, 22:10
Another 94 down here in the Tampa area. I wore a tank top with a light Leather vest. I was carrying my HK45 in a Comp Tac Paddle holster. You can wear any button shirt opened over a tee shirt or whatever under that.

GotAmmo
06-13-10, 22:24
i bought a G27 for this purpose, IWB and loose and a little bit bigger shirts suffice for me. if anything, I have a maxpedition sachel I'll throw over my shoulder, man bags are making a comeback so I wont look out of place

John_Wayne777
06-13-10, 22:28
You can effectively carry a G17 in shorts and a T-shirt with an IWB holster. Buy the pants and shirt one size larger than normal. From there, effective concealed carry is all about the gear.

There are a lot of good IWB options out there on the market. I'm quite fond of the Raven Concealment Systems Phantom holster for strong side IWB...and the CCC "Shaggy" for appendix carry. (Not recommended for striker-fired pistols without a manual safety)

Pumpkinheaver
06-13-10, 22:30
Missouri summers are hot and humid. I generally downsize my choice of CCW in the warmer months when I can't wear a jacket. Now if I'm wearing jeans and a polo like you stated in your post, I use a IWB on my strong side, generally a Bianchi 6D.

SWATcop556
06-13-10, 22:42
Most of the time when I carry off duty it is a G19 in a Raven holster IWB. I try to carry the G19 as much as possible because it is what I carry for 95% of the time at work (I carry a G17 when in full uniform).

For those really hot days, like it has been all week, I carry a G26 also IWB in a Raven holster. I then carry a G19 mag for a reload.

When it comes down to the nut cutting, concealed carry is a lifestyle and you must adapt accordingly. You have to buy your clothes to fit the carrying lifestyle and BUY QUALITY CARRY EQUIPMENT (a good belt and holster are crucial). I've carried all the piece of shit junk holsters out there and was always uncomfortable. I finally broke down and bought a quality carry rig and could not believe what I had been missing.

Your favorite shorts/jeans and tshirt may not work well for carrying concealed but if you buy clothing with CCW in mind you can pick new favorites. I had to and it was worth it.

longball
06-13-10, 23:02
When it gets hot I carry a M&P9 in a Boomstick IWB holster. I rarely have a printing issue with an average fitting t-shirt. It has smooth leather against the body, rough texture against the pants and a reinforced throat. (Not trying to sell anything, simply noting that because his website is having issues. If this is against the rules I can remove no problem.)

http://boomstickholsters.com/
jeff@boomstickholsters.com

skyugo
06-13-10, 23:08
glock 26 in a mister softy. i can wear it under any shirt, no problem. if anything it looks like a cell phone or something printing.

if wanna stay with 40 cal, the glock 27 is the same size. people seem to love that little gun too.

skyugo
06-13-10, 23:10
For those really hot days, like it has been all week, I carry a G26 also IWB in a Raven holster. I then carry a G19 mag for a reload.

hey dude, any chance you could post a pic of that G26 raven setup? preferably as you wear it? i love my G19 raven, and i'd like to see a 26 raven before i drop the coin on one. I started a thread looking for that awhile ago.. you could probably make it a new thread, as there was quite a bit of interest.

LHS
06-13-10, 23:15
All good advice so far. I carry a full-size Beretta 92, so I feel your pain. I generally carry in a Threat Solutions "UCR" IWB holster, and wear a tucked-in T-shirt under it, with a loose button-up shirt over it. Wear something with a pattern, either a Hawaiian shirt or a plaid/checked pattern, to help minimize the visibility if you do print and to cut down on the "Gunfighter Chic" appearance. Get a good belt too. There are a lot of good leather beltmakers out there, but I've had great luck with the original Wilderness 'Instructor Belt'. A low-profile old-style Blade-tech mag pouch on my weak side rounds out the rig.

JohnnyC
06-13-10, 23:38
My 229 disappears in shorts and a baggy t-shirt in my Crossbreed SuperTuck. A short-sleeved button up shirt works even better.

longball
06-13-10, 23:50
My 229 disappears in shorts and a baggy t-shirt in my Crossbreed SuperTuck. A short-sleeved button up shirt works even better.
I've heard people say they have actually forgetten they were carrying using a supertuck. Have you ever experienced anything similar?

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-14-10, 01:36
I've found that moving the IWB pistol from the 3-4 o'clock to the AIWB position 12-1:30 hides the gun much better, w/ my typical carry clothing (XL polo shirt) I can conceal a G19 in traditional IWB but for G17 I can only get away w/ CCW w/ the same clothes if I shift it to AIWB.

+1 on good carry gear, no better advice. Buy the best you can and you will NOT regret it. Buy once...cry once...and complain a whole hell of alot less lol.

I live in a very hot area. Honestly I usually pocket carry a G26 or a J-frame, I know its not the preferred method especially w/ presentation and access but it works for my purposes.

I enjoy having multiple sizes of my glock CCW platform (26, 19, 17) so that I can chose the best one considering the temperature / activity / dress. I would pick up a baby glock if I was in your shoes but thats just my .02.

jwperry
06-14-10, 02:20
Appendix carry or cross-draw. I prefer appendix carry, but if I had a larger pistol such as the G22, I'd probably go cross-draw.

JohnnyC
06-14-10, 03:50
I've heard people say they have actually forgetten they were carrying using a supertuck. Have you ever experienced anything similar?

Actually that's my experience most of the time. I really only notice it when I'm in the car or sitting down somewhere that puts pressure on it.

I'll be honest and say that it probably doesn't conceal as well as an AIWB rig from what I've heard from other people, but thus far it hasn't been an issue with me. I don't bend over a lot or stretch while wearing it so I would imagine that helps.

vigilant2
06-14-10, 04:54
Down here in sunny south florida, I carry a G19 in a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster (Horsehide) at 2,3,or 4 o'clock. I also
sometimes use my highnoon holsters split-decision model at
the same positions. Both have a FBI cant, I find the canted
holsters make for comfortable siiting whether it be in the car,
restaurant or theater. Its hot/warm most of the year down
here, so its usually a one size larger t-shirt or polo shirt 98%
of the time for me. No printing issues. The split-decision
holster is also tuckable though I never wear it that way, downside
is that it requires 2-hand reholstering (collaspes).
I aslo carry a Springfield XD45Compact in a Galco Royal
Guard when the mood moves me, but its mostly the G19.
Depending on where I'm going I may or may not carry a spare
mag in a galco belt mag holster on my support side.

RUSKI
06-14-10, 06:08
[QUOTE=rav3nwulfe;681545]I've been carrying concealed for nearly a year now, and usually carry on my hip under a suit jacket (to church), or under a light jacket out around town. The last few days here (PA) it has been horribly hot and humid, and making some of the normal carrying practices a little difficult. I wore a suit to church this morning so I was fine, but tonight I wore a pair of jeans and a loose polo, but there was no way to carry on my hip underneath the polo without printing horribly. I placed my holster in the small of my back (as I have some times in the past), which is severely less than ideal, but out of necessity. While sitting in church and getting muscle spasms and thinking there has got to be something better, and finally tired of being forced to carry this way, I decided to ask for opinions.

So, how do you guys carry in hot weather, do you wear a looser overshirt, carry a manbag, change what or where you are carrying, etc. For my info, I carry a Glock 22, which is full sized so it is a little harder to conceal. Besides getting a compact or slimmer handgun, are there other suggestions you guys have? Thanx.[/QUOTE

For me 40+ is too hot, so when I am going out with light clothing up top. I either carry my 1911 in a IWB holster. Or on the rare occasion I ghetto carry ( no holster, simply held between hip and belt)my G21. Its not ideal but works. Sadly I have yet to find a IWB holster for a G21 or my Beretta 90-Two. Several of my LEO co workers also do so when needing to be discreet. When you live -30 to -60 below, freezing ( 32 or so degrees ) temps are like summer.

Littlelebowski
06-14-10, 08:23
I carry a Glock 17 AWIB with a loose shirt over it in shorts or slacks. Works perfectly.

M4arc
06-14-10, 08:28
I haven't seen it asked but what holster are you using? A good holster, quality CCW belt and a slight adjustment to your clothing and you should be good to go.

For instance, I'm a small guy and I can carry my G19 using either a Raven, Looper, or VMII wearing only shorts and t-shirts.

Sry0fcr
06-14-10, 08:54
I'm in Houston, Texas it's hot and humid most of the year. I find myself worrying less about total concealment since most people are oblivious and even if they did notice a bulge on my hip they'd more than likely assume it's a cell phone holster than a gun including LEOs. People also need to take into account your behavior and demeanor when carrying as well as clothing IMO. Mild mannered decently dressed people out with their families usually go unnoticed. That said most of time I do make an honest effort (I bought alot of short sleeve button down shirts this spring) and I do plan on downsizing my G19 to a M&P Compact but if I'm wearing a t-shirt and shorts then that's what I'm wearing. Just my experience, YMMV.

orionz06
06-14-10, 11:30
CTAC hid most anything, but I currently carry an M&P Pro OWB with a Raven under a tshirt without much concerns. Just gotta size it properly and use a good belt.

ROGOPGEAR
06-14-10, 11:56
I haven't seen it asked but what holster are you using? A good holster, quality CCW belt and a slight adjustment to your clothing and you should be good to go.

For instance, I'm a small guy and I can carry my G19 using either a Raven, Looper, or VMII wearing only shorts and t-shirts.

I'm using a Galco leather belt loop holster. Probably not nearly the best holster, but it is pretty low profile and has been great so far except with the lighter clothing. So it sounds like I need to either go compact, get a IWB holster, adjust my summer clothing choices, or a combo of the above. I do usually wear my "concealed" light jacket if it is slightly justifiable, but the last few days I was sweating in just normal clothes, so I thought it would be incredibly uncomfortable and obvious if I wore it out. So I guess I need to get some casual button down shirts to wear over a t-shirt to replace my jacket during the warm weather. Thanx for all the great info, keep it coming.

M4arc
06-14-10, 12:09
I'm using a Galco leather belt loop holster. Probably not nearly the best holster, but it is pretty low profile and has been great so far except with the lighter clothing. So it sounds like I need to either go compact, get a IWB holster, adjust my summer clothing choices, or a combo of the above. I do usually wear my "concealed" light jacket if it is slightly justifiable, but the last few days I was sweating in just normal clothes, so I thought it would be incredibly uncomfortable and obvious if I wore it out. So I guess I need to get some casual button down shirts to wear over a t-shirt to replace my jacket during the warm weather. Thanx for all the great info, keep it coming.

I would highly recommend starting with an IWB holster. If you like the Galco check out their IWB models. Kramer and Milt Sparks are two other outstanding leather options.

What belt are you using? Galco, Kramer and several others make very nice CCW belts and that's the second thing I'd look at if I were you. Actually, that would be 1.5 because you really need to hunt down a quality belt at the same time you're looking for an IWB holster.

I have various button-down shirts that I can wear if I need an extra layer of concealment but dude, a jacket? I guess that would be a good way to drop a few pounds this summer! :D

OhioFinance
06-14-10, 12:17
I didn't see you mention your build, which plays a big role in all of this. Some people can conceal a G22 pretty easy, some it takes more work. Not that it is as big but I carry a m&p 45c and have all summer thus far. I find that for me, with just khaki shorts and a polo it hides in a comp-tac MTAC well. If its less than that level of dress, like athletic shorts and a T-shirt then I go with a belly band. For me the key to both is a t-shirt between the holster and my ever expanding waist line. So with just a T-shirt I will wear a tank type t-shirt (A-Shirt?) under my normal T-shirt. this seems to help with the rubbing and dare I say sweating caused by the holster in direct contact with my love handle.

Roy
06-14-10, 13:28
IT has been said at least 10 times... Ill make it 11 haha

it all comes down to gear. Im rocking shorts and a T shirt sitting at a Buffalo wild wings right now.. Glock 19 IWB Raven with a surefire x300 on it and a mag pouch wiht 17 mag on my left side held up by a wilderness 5 stitch instructor belt. oh yeah and a J frame in my pocket all under a T shirt.. I did the same thing yesterday with my 21 under an untucked under armor loose gear shirt.. No one semed to notice. im 6'1" 195 ish 32" waist.. It can be done...

nar472
06-14-10, 14:02
I use a tank top underneath as well, it has been stated well already but I base all my clothing choices for concealed carry I upsize my pants for iwb and I use t-shirts that are loose. I carry a p30L and conceal it with no problems with a light t-shirt I am 6'1" and over 200
pounds so that does help size definatly plays an important role in your decision on what to use for carry . I do pack a glock 21 as well from time to time and use a bladetech nano for it, I wish they made this holster for my p30L as it is very comfortable and conceals well. Also a good holster is only is good as the belt holding it.

ROGOPGEAR
06-14-10, 17:52
I didn't see you mention your build, which plays a big role in all of this. Some people can conceal a G22 pretty easy, some it takes more work. Not that it is as big but I carry a m&p 45c and have all summer thus far. I find that for me, with just khaki shorts and a polo it hides in a comp-tac MTAC well. If its less than that level of dress, like athletic shorts and a T-shirt then I go with a belly band. For me the key to both is a t-shirt between the holster and my ever expanding waist line. So with just a T-shirt I will wear a tank type t-shirt (A-Shirt?) under my normal T-shirt. this seems to help with the rubbing and dare I say sweating caused by the holster in direct contact with my love handle.

I do have a slightly thinner build at 6'1" and 180, that's my problem too. When carrying on my hip I print the corner of the glock slide in the front or and the tip of the mag in the back when I move, when I'm wearing lighter clothes. My belt is good to go, but I see now I need to put a lot more thinking into summer concealed carry. I still am getting into the mindset that this is truly a lifestyle, and that it does dictate actions in many different areas of life, not just a few. Thanks for all the good help guys. There's a lot of good info here.

HES
06-14-10, 20:21
here is myself in my typical Florida carry configuration

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/frontline_01/firearms/iwb_tucked_in_concealed_side.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/frontline_01/firearms/iwb_tucked_in_concealed.jpg

S&W M&P .40 in a COMP-TAC Minotaur. I actually normally leave my shirt untucked. These photos show how you can carry with your shirt tucked in.

Goshen606
06-16-10, 13:31
I live in the deep south, where currently it's 91 and a heat index of 104. Mostly I carry a S&W J-frame, pocket carry with a Bianchi speed strip loaded with extra ammo. I use a Mika pocket holster to carry it in. Pocket carry allows me to slide my hands in my pocket discreetly and and have my hand on my weapon and no one else knows. The down side to pocket carry is access when sitting. Otherwise an easy concealment carry.

jasonhgross
06-16-10, 14:09
Same issues here. Northern Virginia, hot and humid. I am 5'8" and muscular but trim build. I find a good balance with the Glock 26 and Kahr PM9. I carry the glock usually in a Kramer IWB or Rosen ARG IWB, the PM9 in a Rosen ARG. The PM9 is fantastic for "always" carry with the least amount of impact on wardrobe selection. As previous posters have mentioned, if you want to carry anything larger, you will need to adjust your mode of dress to a large extent. However, I have found with the PM9 the adjustment has been minimal. I will also say that many people seem to make a titanic fuss over making the gun invisible. Its a CONCEALED carry permit, not an INVISIBLE gun permit. Make every effort to keep it concealed from the bad guys, but keep in mind, if you dress and look a certain way they will assume you are a gun carrier/police/military. Not always a bad thing, but they will mark you as either "to be avoided" or "first to get shot" if you stick out too much amongst the sheeple. So try and avoid the 5.11 pocket style pants and "gun carrier" untucked shirt/vest if you can (IF you want to be completely invisible). I gave up the attempt at invisibility years ago and have now settled on looking sheepleish and concealing the gun but not getting OCD about it. YMMV of course.

Goshen606
06-16-10, 17:51
I might add if you don't like IWB carry, Coronado Leather makes some very nice concealment vests that you can try if you want to use something that is relatively small.

Expect about a 6 to 8 week wait however. The "Conceal and Cover" vest is the one I use. Very comfortable and nice looking.

http://www.coronadoleather.com/