PDA

View Full Version : What is this part?

sjohnny
06-14-10, 09:12
This may be a stupid question but .....
I stole this picture from the pic thread. What is the deal with the bar connecting the two pins aft of the mag release? I see it on some ARs but not on others. Mine doesn't have it.

Thanks.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj41/leeindy/guns/DSCF2036.jpg

kdcgrohl
06-14-10, 09:34
KNS Precision Inc
Non-Rotating Trigger/Hammer Pins
Gen 2 Mod 2 Non-Rotating Trig/Ham Pins (http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KNS1&Product_Code=NRTHPMOD2&Category_Code=)

Gen 2 Non-Rotating Trigger/Hammer Pins (http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KNS1&Product_Code=NRTHP154&Category_Code=)

sjohnny
06-14-10, 09:47
Thank you.

Fyrhazzrd
06-14-10, 14:59
KNS Precision Inc
Non-Rotating Trigger/Hammer Pins
Gen 2 Mod 2 Non-Rotating Trig/Ham Pins (http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KNS1&Product_Code=NRTHPMOD2&Category_Code=)

Gen 2 Non-Rotating Trigger/Hammer Pins (http://www.knsprecisioninc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=KNS1&Product_Code=NRTHP154&Category_Code=)

Wow thanks. I've been wondering that myself. Those definitely look like a worthwhile purchase.

logan09
06-14-10, 15:15
Those are what I call a "Waste of money" IMO. The only thing they would be usefull for is in full auto. Unless there for the coolness factor.

markm
06-14-10, 15:32
"Waste of money"

No doubt. I'd guess I read about 8 out of 10 people report that they buy them for the looks. That should tell you what you're getting right there.

mvician
06-14-10, 15:58
looks? waste of money?

Who's money did they spend? Your's ?

Nope......

Captains1911
06-14-10, 21:10
What kind of selector is that? And who puts rail covers on top of the upper receiver?

westcoastfrog
06-14-10, 21:29
i have them on all my lowers because i actually had an issue with the trigger bar (?) walking out after 4 or 5 shots....pretty soon the left side of the bar was dipped down inside the receiver...kns fixed that.

WEC
06-14-10, 23:05
What kind of selector is that? And who puts rail covers on top of the upper receiver?

Looks like the BAD A.S.S. selector: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=54648

Some people like to put the rail covers there to protect those rails from various nicks and dings.

Paraclete comes
06-14-10, 23:49

Yeah to be honest the reason to put rail cover anywhere on the rifle is to protect hands and to protect the rails. It would appear that he is accomplishing both. What do you use rail covers for?

sjohnny
06-15-10, 07:27
At this point I don't have a need for them. I agree that they look cool but I still have lots of stuff I want to do that isn't just for looks. If my pins start moving I'll look into it or when I have $32 and nothing to do with it I might go ahead and get them.

Captains1911
06-15-10, 07:43
Yeah to be honest the reason to put rail cover anywhere on the rifle is to protect hands and to protect the rails. It would appear that he is accomplishing both. What do you use rail covers for?

I just have never seen rail covers placed there before, I can understand the rail protecting part, although that seems to be an area less likely to get banged up, but whatever.

TacDoc
06-15-10, 08:18
Probably a waste of money on 5.56 AR's.......... but, I use them on my 9mm and .22LR builds.

Direct blowback is harder on FCG pins than direct impidgement.

Fyrhazzrd
06-15-10, 08:31
Those are what I call a "Waste of money" IMO. The only thing they would be usefull for is in full auto. Unless there for the coolness factor.

Really? I would have thought anything that prevents wear would be a worthwhile purchase. Especially when it is so inexpensive.

logan09
06-15-10, 11:19
Really? I would have thought anything that prevents wear would be a worthwhile purchase. Especially when it is so inexpensive.

If your shooting a ridiculous amount of ammo every year, they might be worth it. But, you can also buy a receiver for well under $100shipped.

Fyrhazzrd
06-15-10, 13:12
If your shooting a ridiculous amount of ammo every year, they might be worth it. But, you can also buy a receiver for well under $100shipped.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Although I think my receiver was closer to $150

organdonor
06-15-10, 21:53
Other people always know how to spend your money best

CCK
06-15-10, 22:58
It would seem to make sense to me on a lower you plan on keeping forever (SBR). Cheap insurance against holes getting bigger over time.

Chris

Dave_M
06-15-10, 23:01
No doubt. I'd guess I read about 8 out of 10 people report that they buy them for the looks. That should tell you what you're getting right there.

Window dressing for sure. Course' I have a couple cause' they look cool :D

That said, if one is running a, 'cassette trigger' it's pretty much required as pins can drop out of those more frequently.

az doug
06-15-10, 23:18
They are a must for a RR firing full auto 9mm. They are a good idea for a full auto RR. I can also see a use on a registered SBR receiver or any receiver that would be difficult to replace.

FYI: Those pictured are the Gen I pins.

Dave_M
06-15-10, 23:19
They are a must for a RR firing full auto 9mm. They are a good idea for a full auto RR. I can also see a use on a registered SBR receiver or any receiver that would be difficult to replace.

FYI: Those pictured are the Gen I pins.

I have heard the opposite about pistal caliber rifles as the KNS pins won't allow one to tell immediately if they break a pin.

m4fun
06-15-10, 23:44
Required along with a ramped bolt when firing 9mm in full auto. Egging out the holes WAS a problem folks and on the machine gun forums always warned about. KNS came up with a solution. Cheap insurance if you have a $14,000 registered M16.

az doug
06-16-10, 00:47
+1 on ramping the bolts.

DavePAL84, you bring up a good point. Having egged out the hammer pin hole in one of my RRs with an unramped bolt and a stock pin that broke, I installed KNS pins in both my RRs. I can "shotgun" the receiver and check the pins by trying to move the hammer around. I believe the KNS pins are more resistant to breakage, but can still break.

I have since repaired the hammer pin hole and ramped my 9 mm bolts.