PDA

View Full Version : Help me , M1A questions before I buy

onado2000
06-14-10, 18:26
I am very inexperienced w/ the M1A, BUT I really want to buy one. I have read thru the internet and apparently the new models lack the quality that preban models offered (GI spec VS commercial parts). I have access to 2 preban models (each priced @ $2000) or a brand new NM model for $1800. Both preban models have carbon bbls, one w/a wood and one has a black synthetic stock. Im not sure about the bbl, receiver, bolt markings (or where to look for them). My question is Im not sure what to look for on the preban models to make sure that its worth the $2000 price tag ? Are the preban models better made than the new models (would I be better off w/a preban VS a new NM model)? If you can help me out w/some advice or teach me something new about the M1A I would appreciate your time and help. Thanks guys!

Thomas M-4
06-14-10, 19:14
For $600 bucks more you could get an LRB they use hammer forged receiver and USGI parts.
http://www.lrbarms.com/m14rifles.html

Different
06-16-10, 15:42
I have read thru the internet and apparently the new models lack the quality that preban models offered (GI spec VS commercial parts). Are the preban models better made than the new models (would I be better off w/a preban VS a new NM model)?

Based on my experience, personal observation, and research, I don't believe pre-'94 ban M1A rifles are better than post-2000 M1A rifles. Get what model you want (standard, loaded, NM, Super Match, SOCOM, etc.), grab a couple CMI magazines and some surplus ammunition and then have fun at the local range.

onado2000
06-16-10, 15:53
Thanks for the replies. I still have to research the rifles history and become familiar w/ the markings, its a lot of money to invest and I dont want to buy a POS the seller was looking to off load !

onado2000
06-16-10, 19:47
Here is some info from the preban M1A
S# 029200
bolt # 7790186
66118-DD

the stock also had a large mark at the bottom, a "R" or "P" in a sqaure box, about an inch square. Any one help out w/ these markings? The bbl didnt have any marks, nor did the gas system. Its "all original" per the seller. Looks in good used condition. Thanks. Dan

Different
06-16-10, 20:46
USGI Winchester bolt
M1A receiver - 1984 manufacture, machined by Valley Ordnance (Wilkes-Barre, PA), it's good to go
USGI stock
Commercial manufacture barrel machined by Hillside Manufacturing (Dallas, PA) in 1984. You'll like this barrel. I had one of these before I shot it out.

Check the throat erosion for wear. I give the buy signal.

onado2000
06-16-10, 20:56
Thanks Different, What about the stamp mark on the stock "P" or "R", what does that indicate ? Thanks again for the info !! As far as check for erosion, I dont have gauges for the M1A? Any tips on what to look for ?

Different
06-16-10, 21:42
Every M14 rifle had to pass several tests before it could be shipped to the military. The M14 rifle was tested by first firing a high pressure 67,500 psi proof round. The rifle and spent cartridge case were examined for any signs of broken parts and overpressure. If the test was successful, the proof P marks were immediately applied to the barrel (P), bolt (a punch mark), stock (P inside a circle or serif P inside a circle) and receiver (punch mark).

On the barrel, ask the seller how many rounds he has down the bore. Without knowing anything else, a gross assumption is 1000 rounds for each integer of throat erosion. Example, without any other information and we are discussing an unlined barrel, which this is, if the seller says he has 2,000 rounds through the barrel, I would expect the throat erosion reading to be 2.0 with a TE gauge. The military replaced barrels at the depot if the TE reading was 5 or higher. At 10, the barrel throat is shot out.

ICANHITHIMMAN
06-16-10, 21:49
USGI Winchester bolt
M1A receiver - 1984 manufacture, machined by Valley Ordnance (Wilkes-Barre, PA), it's good to go
USGI stock
Commercial manufacture barrel machined by Hillside Manufacturing (Dallas, PA) in 1984. You'll like this barrel. I had one of these before I shot it out.

Check the throat erosion for wear. I give the buy signal.

If this is who I think it is making these comments you should listen! I have an Armscorp pre ban its AWSOME

onado2000
06-16-10, 22:20
The seller is not the original owner. I asked him about the rifle anyway and he just told me that its all original. I know his is anxious to sell it, so I am reluctant to ask him anything else. I would like a preban, but it just seems easier to buy a NIB NM model :confused: Thanks for the info on erosion!!!