PDA

View Full Version : Installing magpul sling swivel

Pistola
06-14-10, 19:13
I am thinking about installing a magpul sling swivel on my LMT. The castlenut is staked pretty well. My question is, will it be hard to take the castlenut off because it is staked pretty good. Do I need to buy a new castlenut and have it re staked?

Irish
06-14-10, 19:15
Not sure what kind of tooling you have available but if you get in over your head I would suggest taking it to HDI http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/home.asp. Great bunch of guys with the most reasonable prices in town and they actually know what they're talking about. If I had the right stuff I'd offer to help but unfortunately I don't.

Pistola
06-14-10, 19:57
Whoops, sorry, I live in Kennesaw Georgia now. I'm not sending my gun back to the west coast.

Irish
06-14-10, 20:23
Whoops, sorry, I live in Kennesaw Georgia now. I'm not sending my gun back to the west coast.

Change your location. ;)

Pistola
06-15-10, 15:48
Thanks, but I'd rather live where it is "required" for every household to own a firearm.:D

Irish
06-15-10, 15:51
Thanks, but I'd rather live where it is "required" for every household to own a firearm.:D

I meant on the forum, not your physical location. ;)

JStor
06-15-10, 19:38
You can use a flat ended punch with a hammer to jar the castle nut loose, though a Hammerhead Rifle Tool would work as well.

You can also use the the same nut again if it's not damaged, but you will need a regular center punch or an automatic center punch for staking.

matt86
06-15-10, 19:56
if you use a quality castle nut wrench, it should be no problem. I bought a cheap wrench from brownells which i later learned is made by RRA. It wouldnt even break the castle nut loose from my buddies DPMS. buy once cry once is a hard lesson learned sometimes.