PDA

View Full Version : Has any used a Surefire KM2 yet?

Caeser25
06-14-10, 20:56
Seems like a great lightweight addition to my scout light and I can drop the head from the scout to my e2e.

http://www.surefire.com/KM2

clasky
06-14-10, 23:17
I've been using them for a few weeks for T/E. The "Vampire" lights are pretty well done. A 150 lumen LED is nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done. The 120mW IR illuminator is pretty wicked. I was able to get a maximum throw of 197 yards through a PVS-14, but it was usable to only about 130 yards from my tests. It's a decent intermediate range illuminator.

Caeser25
06-22-10, 21:20
Being that the recognizable range of your D-300 is 150 yards, it would give me white light and ir light in a lw package though compared to say DA Torch and a mini scout or E1B. hmm...decisions, decisions.

Glin1216
06-24-10, 12:49
I've got a KM2 head on one of my lights. The beam pattern (using PVS14s) is much wider than any I've used in the past (PEQ2A/PEQ15/PEQ16A) Sure, you can flip down the diffuser cover on the Insight units, but I've always noticed a dramatically distorted beam-pattern and the illumination is only good for close-quarters (room to room work)
IR light is bright enough to light up a man-sized target for identification at 100 yards (furthest I've bothered testing)
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt275/Glin1216/Shoot/DSC_0112.jpg

Titleist
06-24-10, 13:04
I've got two on order right now, one for my SR-15 and SR-25. My main interest is when moving with NODs at night, especially with the SF SR07-D-IT dual peq pad, being able to use the scout/KM2 to throw out a swath of light underneath me so I can see the ground through nods while booking it (yes I realize this isn't IR light discipline in effect), then get in to my shooting position and utilize the IR designator on my PEQ-15.

From playing with them at SHOT I was very impressed.

Caeser25
07-05-10, 21:27
I've got two on order right now, one for my SR-15 and SR-25. My main interest is when moving with NODs at night, especially with the SF SR07-D-IT dual peq pad, being able to use the scout/KM2 to throw out a swath of light underneath me so I can see the ground through nods while booking it (yes I realize this isn't IR light discipline in effect), then get in to my shooting position and utilize the IR designator on my PEQ-15.

From playing with them at SHOT I was very impressed.

Bumping. Seen pictures on the ar general pict thread. Curious if you've used them yet. I'm not totally sold on one yet vs an M1.

BillBond
07-05-10, 21:56
I am going to have to purchase one.

:cool:

Titleist
07-06-10, 00:45
Bumping. Seen pictures on the ar general pict thread. Curious if you've used them yet. I'm not totally sold on one yet vs an M1.

So far I find it's a great general purpose IR flood light, but it won't replace the IR illuminator on my PEQ-15(s) anytime soon. The IR illuminator on the 15 is not as bright but it's more collected a beam, so it works more like an IR search light. The KM2 head is much more like a white light so it's a very wide beam. Under NODs it actually just sort of looks like what's in front of the gun brightens up, but I'd say the effective range is 150yds or so.

Build wise it's a very nice 150lumen head. I would agree with Clasky, it's a good VIS head, nothing crazy special. It's very easy to switch from IR to VIS and back and forth, runtime is very nice. It's a bit big as far as head sizes go. With an offset mount it completely blocks the red aiming laser on the PEQ-15, so when zeroing during the day I'll have to take the head off, zero, then screw it back on.

So I think it's a great head to have, but it won't do the same thing as the directed wide IR illuminator of the PEQs/DBALs. I think what you need depends on your task at hand. When I shoot steel at 500yds I rely on the IR Laser/Illuminator mode to find the steel and engage it.

What the KM2 will do for me is when running and shooting at night in local matches I'll be able to engage the KM2 to illuminate the ground under my feet so I can get a better idea of the terrain so as to not fall on my face. For 100-150yd shooting I see the KM2 as being a great general purpose IR tool, with the PEQ-15 taking over at longer distances.

Hope that helps.

Victor
07-06-10, 22:48
Clasky is going to be posting our review on the M952V/V2's here very shortly. I feel SF hit a home run with these units, especially when the IR laze illum. is too much, which it is most times for short range work.

Vic

Titleist
07-06-10, 23:16
Knowing Clasky's photos I expect an equally good review. Thanks Vic!