PDA

View Full Version : Marksmanship Instruction available in Georgia

Grin Reaper
05-29-07, 00:05
Anyone interested in shooting at long-distances (300-500 yards) with your M4 (or any other rifles, for that matter)?

Sort of a long way off, but in November (3-4) there will be an Appleseed Shoot just outside of Toccoa. Since the bulk of the shooting is done at 25m, this is an ideal envronment to shoot your M4/AR15, then compare your score on the AQT (Army Qualification Test) with the guy next to you. Not exactly competition, but close enough.

This event teaches you to shoot from the 3 "field positions" - standing/offhand, sitting (or kneeling), and prone. No 'bench-potatoes' at Appleseeds (no bipod use, either)! I've shot at 3 Appleseeds and learned something new at each one.

The shoot is put together by the guys at rwva.org. Historically, they have been die-hard Springfield M1A shooters, but the recent spike in 7.62mm ammunition prices has "shown them the light" on .22's (especially the Ruger 10/22 with tech-sights) as a viable alternative for the 25m course. Several AR-15 fans have discovered the Ceiner .22LR conversion for the AR platform. Of course, bring whatever rifle you like to (and can afford to) shoot about 400 rounds-worth.

Scaled-down 25m targets that simulate 300-400 yd shots are surprisingly challenging, and you don't have to spend 90% of your range time walking back/forth to reset targets.

Full-distance (out to 300 yards) shooting is planned for Day 2 of the event

Try some of the AQT targets from http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp . These simulate 100-200-300-400 yard targets. The course of fire is printed on the target, which has 10 targets of 4 different sizes printed on it, and is about the size of a sheet of newspaper.
100yds -- 10 rounds standing in 60 seconds
200 yds -- start standing, load 2 rds, then assume seated pos'n; put 2 rds on 1st 200yd target, then reload w/ 8 rds, put 3 more in 1st target, then 5 on 2nd targets (all in 50 seconds)
300yds -- start standing, load 2 rds, then assume prone pos'n; put 2 rds on 1st 300yd target, then reload w/ 8 rds, put 1 more in 1st target, then 3 on 2nd target, and 2 on 3rd (60 seconds).
400yds -- load 10 rds, start and shoot prone. (5 minutes -- gravy points!)

The time limits, coupled with the multiple targets on most stages and the position changes, really make this challenging.
This is the scoring system used at the Appleseed Shoots, too.

Unsolicited endorsement: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11137

Cost is only $45 for one day, $70 for both. Free to those under 21, so you can bring your son/daughter and the only extra cost is that $10.98 brick of .22LR you were going to buy anyway.

Free to active military, Guard, and Reserve members, too.

pm me if you need more details

Grin Reaper
06-11-07, 12:31
The new Appleseed Program webpage is up and running: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Due to the tremendous increase in this year's events, pre-registration is strongly encouraged.

Wayne Dobbs
06-11-07, 13:41
Wish I lived there...that looks like lots of fun!

Grin Reaper
06-15-07, 19:21
Where are you located? I'll bet there's a perfect sight for a future Appleseed Shoot near you!

Wayne Dobbs
06-15-07, 23:39
Texas, brother...Dallas/Fort Worth area...

Grin Reaper
06-16-07, 15:06
Texas! You lucky so-and-so!

Oct 6 &7 there's a 2-day Appleseed in Texarkana (for the truly adventurous, there's a 5-day marksmanship and instruction workshop the week preceeding it, or Rifleman's Boot Camp as they're 'commonly' known).
Same goes for Davilla, TX Nov. 10 & 11 (there's a 5-day RBC the week preceeding it, as well).
More info at www.appleseedinfo.org/
or online registraion (with rates) at http://www.eventbrite.com/org/28719640?s=442480

edited to update website info

Grin Reaper
08-23-07, 23:21
In response to 2 questions, let me clarify for any others who might be wondering:

This is not a tactical rifle/carbine course, at least not in the sense that those terms are generally used here.

Many shooters at Appleseeds use the rifles/carbines that are commonly found in such courses, but the focus of this course is not to teach fighting [I don't have a problem with fighting -- I just think you need somebody more qualified than me to teach it to you!].

This event is all about how to make hits on man-sized targets out to 400yds (and farther) without the toys that snipers usually have at their disposal.
If you have a scope on your weapon, that's great. I'd love to have a $900+ ACOG on my 16"AR, too. But for those of you who have one, have you used it to shoot beyond 100 yards? If not, now's the time to do it. I promise, none of the targets we'll be engaging will be shooting back.;)

There are always a few skeptics in each class, the ones who think any shot beyond 100 yards REQUIRES a scoped, preferably supported (i.e., bipod-mounted) rifle. But you don't necessarily have to have expensive glass to make hits out beyond the standard Tactical Course ranges. The standard AR sights will do the job.

So you shoot really, really well at 25-50 yards. Ask yourself this: what if the Bad Guys are a little farther way?

Food for thought, that's all.

Grin Reaper
10-06-07, 12:48
This is a little under a month away!

I'll be heading to the shoot in Missouri next weekend. Hope to see some of you guys at one or the other.

Grin Reaper
10-28-07, 22:47
44 shooters at the Missouri Appleseed; not bad at all for our 1st time there.

Toccoa, GA will be this weekend. Looking forward to a good turnout there, as well.

czydj
10-29-07, 06:12
Any plans to get out to NE or Central FL?

Grin Reaper
11-08-07, 19:01
We've got some feelers out to a couple of ranges in both central FL and the panhandle, but nothing on paper yet.
If you know of any ranges nearby that might be interested, shoot me a pm.
Also, we don't have to have an established range to hold a shoot. The more I do this, the more I like holding them on privately owned land instead (the one in Missouri was in what had been a hayfield 2 weeks prior)-- a lot less silly hoops to jump through to get it going.

Well, the Toccoa Appleseed Shoot (#42 on the 2007 Nationwide Tour) went very smoothly, especially considering one of my instructors had to call off due to a family emergency Friday night.
We had a total of 47 shooters turn out for some rifle marksmanship instruction, and 4 shot at an expert level (>210 on the AQT) by close of activities Sunday. A longer AAR is available at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=1211.0.

PacoM4
11-08-07, 19:32
Wish I lived closer. When I was in the Natty Guard we used these type of targets to qualify. I always thought it was harder to shoot these type of targets than the real pop ups/full size sillouettes.

Grin Reaper
11-13-07, 22:37
You & me both -- scaled-down & closer is harder than full-sized and farther, IMO.