PDA

View Full Version : Interesting interview

JohnN
06-15-10, 11:21
I think some of you may find this interview interesting. Not often do you get to pick the brain of someone who has been in 14 gunfights.

Please delete if this has been posted before.

http://content.blubrry.com/proarms/052.mp3

DocHolliday01
06-15-10, 13:05
Great interview. That Man has a wealth of knowledge.

VMI-MO
06-15-10, 13:11
Any trick to getting it to load?
Disregard

Pretty interesting stuff.

I am only at the first shooting. Pretty amazing what the human body is capable of.

PJ

beckman
06-15-10, 18:37
Interesting interview. Thanks.

Detmongo
06-16-10, 09:32
lots of good stuff. not many people around like him to pick their brains. you don't have to agree with every thing he says but you have to respect his opinion on things.

LDM
06-24-10, 09:23
Thanks for sharing that.
I was really struck by the resonance in what this man said to some of the historical writings of Applegate and Fairbairne, and more modern work by Siddle.
Stay safe.

Cobra66
06-24-10, 10:47
Just amazing - more than 10 rounds of .45 Long Colt and .44Mag, plus a hand full of .38s. Kind of makes the whole caliber debate moot.

John_Wayne777
06-24-10, 11:07
That's awesome stuff. Thanks for posting it.

kry226
06-24-10, 11:53
:eek:

Makes me feel good about the load I carry. Wow.

LDM
06-24-10, 14:02
Just amazing - more than 10 rounds of .45 Long Colt and .44Mag, plus a hand full of .38s. Kind of makes the whole caliber debate moot.
You got that right... I'm listening to this and thinking "what's left? stake in the heart?" Had a flashback to Terminator movies.
Hand guns are handy (and fun... and even sexy), but for close & personal serious social intercourse you gotta think: shotgun
Stay safe.

kry226
06-24-10, 14:43
In a way, Stache also makes a good case for tritium in the front sight only, in regards to the ongoing thread in this sub-forum.

Mark71
06-24-10, 22:57
Great interview! Thanks for the link.

bkb0000
06-25-10, 00:43
the end was great.. good man.

don't buy some of his conclusions... but i'm not the one who's survived 14 gunfights.

John_Wayne777
06-25-10, 09:28
I also have some disagreements with some of the things said int he interview...but we have to remember that he's speaking from his perspective and experience. The overwhelming majority of the fights he has been in happened at distances of a few feet in a time period that could be measured in quarters of a second. That's the reality of life on the street. I was just in class with a couple of officers from a tactical team in a large metropolitan area who were asked about their typical engagement distance with their issued AR carbines. Their response?

"Inside of a room."

They practice for much longer shots with precision, but in reality if they pull the trigger in a real situation it's likely to be at a distance they can measure in feet. To quote Ken Hackathorn from a lecture on how gunfights typically go on the streets of the USA, "Ten yards is really long range for a gunfight."

While I would certainly argue that the ability to place precisely accurate fire at 25 yards should be consciously developed by anyone who carries a pistol, I would also heartily endorse this officer's practice of developing the ability to make close range head shots (even one handed) on demand. That could prove to be eminently useful in a real fight whether you're a cop, a civilian, or a Tier 1 guy trying to rescue a hostage.

LDM
06-25-10, 16:28
JW777, thanks for putting into words what was bouncing around in my head.
The needed skill at a given time is situational.
Having the skill to zipper several rounds at bad breath distance may be needed someday. Delivering a precise shot at distance may be needed someday.
Stay safe.

BrianS
06-26-10, 05:25
Right around the time he said he's "never been a big fan of aimed fire" my eyes kinda glazed over, but some of the war stories were very interesting after that so worth the listen. It certainly reinforces that firearms training and tactics has come a long ways over the years.