PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Check

newbie9mil
05-29-07, 02:19
I just got the flyer from Natchez and they had some Wolf ammo on sale. It is the following: MIL CLASSIC .223REM 55GR SP 20BX for $3.99 per 20 round box. Is this ammo any good, I just want plinking ammo to start with and thought that it was really cheap.
Thanks for your help for a newbie.

ffhounddog
05-29-07, 06:05
Yes it is good.

bullitt5172
05-29-07, 07:32
Do a search and you'll find good and bad. I have NO issues shooting WOLF and I have never experienced any problems. I buy every box I find on the shelves at Gander Mountain (@$3.99) so the Midway price is good. Buy it, shoot it, clean gun and repeat.

RWBlue
05-29-07, 08:48
Do a search about Wolf and you will see my standard responce.

But it should be noted that I "think" Wolf Classic is Laquer coated. A lot of the negative information about wolf is based on the old laquer coated Wolf ammo, not the new poly coated ammo.

Given the option between wolf laquer and wolf poly, I would get wolf poly.

wayfarin'stranger
05-29-07, 21:15
Actually Wolf doesnt laquer coat their steel cases anymore (some lots are probably still out there with laquer) due to the laquer melting in hot barrels and the extractor spliting the case rim on ejection. It is now coated with a powder (can't remember the particular powder substance) which doesn't melt. If it's cheap buy it and run a few rounds through your rifle and see what you think. You more than likely will notice an accuracy issue; depending on your particular rifle I don't think this will be more than 1-2 MOA than other 'higher grade' factory ammuniton. I had more feed/ejection problems with Federal than I have had with steel cases so they're not all bad.

Even if the people that say that steel cases tear up your extractor are correct, I'd rather replace a cheap part than spend 100 times more on more expensive ammuntion.

Bushytale
05-30-07, 03:34
the Wolf "military classic" that is being produced currently is lacquer coated like the older stuff was. They also produce the new standard polymer coated ammo. I believe the reason for this is the facility making the polymer coated ammo has not been able to keep up with demand for .223 and 7.62x39. So Wolf brought back the lacquer coated ammo as "military classic" from other production lines in Russia.

Billy