PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a Tubbs flat wire buffer spring...what buffer though?

Lucky Strike
06-15-10, 14:48
I've got a 16" BCM middy and thinking of getting one of these buffer springs (or maybe a Sprinco) since they've got a long lifespan and a couple other positive aspects.

Just wondering what kind of buffer I should run in the gun if I switch springs. Mostly I shoot stuff like .55gr UMC and PMC .223 with the occasional 62gr stuff

Currently using a stock spring with standard carbine buffer

Should I stick to the same buffer or does this spring require something heavier

Thomas M-4
06-15-10, 15:33
UMC is is pretty weak and with a middy gas system you should be fine with a carbine -buffer. I use the sprinco standard rate buffer spring no experience with the tubbs one thing I consider a + with the sprinco its drop in and go the tubbs you have to trim it.

BufordTJustice
06-15-10, 15:34
I would start with a carbine buffer, and consider moving up to a Spike's Tactical ST-T2 tungsten buffer if the carbine works.

I have a BCM 16" middy and I also use the tubbs flatwire buffer spring. I love it. I run the spike's buffer and have shot federal american eagle 55grn FMJ, Federal TRU, and M855 green tip without issue at all. Shoots VERY smooth now. I also run a Mcfarland gas ring in my FA CMT Bolt and BCG. My BC also has the bearing surfaces hand polished and glides like a greased pig on ice through the upper. :)

I would start with the carbine buffer and move to a heavier buffer if you function 100% with the carbine. The Spike's buffer is an H2 weight and maybe moving to an H buffer would work as well. Make sure you're using good lube; Slip 2000 EWL comes to mind as a constant favorite (I use it and love it), but there are other new synthetic lubes that work great as well.

Iraqgunz
06-15-10, 16:31
I would leave the standard buffer in there and maybe (just maybe) consider an H buffer. Someone please explain to me why these Spike's Tactical buffers appear to be all the rage? I am really curious.

Col_Crocs
06-15-10, 19:42
I would leave the standard buffer in there and maybe (just maybe) consider an H buffer. Someone please explain to me why these Spike's Tactical buffers appear to be all the rage? I am really curious.

It's essentially an H2 buffer. .3oz lighter with a few construction and material differences.

Product detail snippets taken off their site:

It weighs in at 4.3oz. (Depending on the density and size of the HDTP, the weight can vary slightly.)

It's CNC machined from Solid Billet Aluminum Bar Stock, Not Casted then Machined like all the Yellowish/Goldish buffers on the Market.

Each buffer is filled with HDTP "High Density Tungsten Powder" so there is No reciprocating weights inside to make a lot of noise. It also makes for a Very Smooth cycling rifle. It eliminates the chance of bolt bounce and muzzle rise in full-auto. It also cuts down on Felt Recoil.

matt86
06-15-10, 19:49
I cant explain the science behind it but i too heard the rage, so I picked one up,went to the range and shot a 5 or 6 shot group, changed the carbine buffer to the spikes, then shot another 5-6 shot group,which was amazingly tighter. I was seriously mind boggled for a minute. So whether it be a placebo effect where I just took better shots focusing on the fundamentals, or the buffer helps. Either way it works for me.

BufordTJustice
06-15-10, 19:51

From my experience, I would relate the difference as subtle but noticeable. I would liken it to the difference between a Middy gas system and carbine gas system on a 16" carbine. The faster you run the gun, the more you notice the increased smoothness of the operation. I ran my BCM middy with an H-buffer and the Spike's and the difference was about the same as going from carbine length gas to middy. I rec playing with one when you get the chance. It's the same price as an H2, so it's not like there is snake oil in there.

Lucky Strike
06-15-10, 20:30
Hmm...might have to buy one of these spikes buffers....if it doesn't work I'll just sell it and take the $10 or whatever loss.

Also not sure I like the idea of having to trim a spring to fit....might just go with a Sprinco one. Would a certain color sprinco (blue or red) work best with the Spikes in my middy?

BufordTJustice
06-15-10, 20:40
Hmm...might have to buy one of these spikes buffers....if it doesn't work I'll just sell it and take the $10 or whatever loss.

Also not sure I like the idea of having to trim a spring to fit....might just go with a Springco one. Would a certain color springco (blue or red) work best with the Spikes in my middy?

I'd rec going with the blue std power spring. I should note that I did not have to trim my Tubbs spring at all. I've got a buddy who runs a bushy 16" M4orgery and he made no alterations to his Tubbs spring either. YMMV.

Col_Crocs
06-15-10, 20:45
Id go with the standard (blue). THe red may be too stiff for your rig.

iwouldntknow
06-16-10, 00:20
I have a Tubbs spring in my middy. According to the accompanying paper, the spring is drop in for rifles AND carbines.

I doubt it was nescessary, but it was for my "cooler than you" gun.:p

BufordTJustice
06-16-10, 00:32
I have a Tubbs spring in my middy. According to the accompanying paper, the spring is drop in for rifles AND carbines.

I doubt it was nescessary, but it was for my "cooler than you" gun.:p

I agree about the necessary part. It's not. I know Brownells sells CS buffer springs for under 10 bux. Brownells doesn't sell bad stuff, so I'm sure that spring would be 10-8. I just wanted premium spring....and it was Tubbs or Springco...Tubbs got the nod because of the engineering put into the flat wire arrangement. It met the cool quotient for me. :)

KingsideRook
06-16-10, 01:06
I agree about the necessary part. It's not. I know Brownells sells CS buffer springs for under 10 bux. Brownells doesn't sell bad stuff, so I'm sure that spring would be 10-8. I just wanted premium spring....and it was Tubbs or Springco...Tubbs got the nod because of the engineering put into the flat wire arrangement. It met the cool quotient for me. :)

My Tubbs flatwire spring worked quite well in my AR15 carbine-gas 16" barrel systems with both carbine weight and H buffers, but it really felt smooth when used in conjunction with a Spiker's ST-2 buffer. I really like the combination when shooting, and though I know the rest of my 14.5" rifles will be midlength gas system, for a carbine length gas system, I can feel that it tames a lot of the movement of the rifle on the butt end. Less "bouncy" is the best way to describe it.

markm
06-16-10, 17:51
Someone please explain to me why these Spike's Tactical buffers appear to be all the rage? I am really curious.

Its popularity on ARFcom is reason enough for me to avoid it.

JeepDriver
06-16-10, 18:53
I use a H2 with a flat wire spring in my 11.5" SBR. It runs perfectly. It is ran suppressed 100% of the time though.

I have another flat wire spring in my 16" middy, but I just got the spring and haven't shit it yet. Hopefully I can in a couple weeks to see how she runs. I'm starting out with a H buffer in that set up.

mtdawg169
06-16-10, 22:37
I'm running a Tubb's flatwire CS spring on my Noveske N4 light recce (midlength gas) with a Daniel Defense T2 buffer from AIM. Pretty sure its the same as the Spikes ST-T2. I ran an H buffer prior to that. It runs with complete reliability with weak .223 and 5.56 pressure ammo. This combo runs very smoothly for me and is completely reliable. The H buffer ran well too, just a little more felt recoil than the T2 buffer. I am running the spring at full length also.

paulosantos
06-17-10, 05:47
If you want to run the Tubbs Springs with the Spike's and you get some short stroking, you can cut some coils on the Tubbs Springs. If you don't want to cut the springs, then just use the heaviest buffer that will cycle your weakest loads. I run my LMT with the regular buffer.

KingsideRook
06-17-10, 06:46

I have to say that Stickman's recommendation of the ST-2B buffer was instrumental in my choice to take the chance on one. Quite pleased that I did, since I've used 9mm and H1/2/3 buffers, and the Spike's was the most pleasant to shoot, felt most like a rifle buffer but smoother. It never entered my mind that the product might be popular on the wrong website, or that I wouldn't give it a fair shake because of that. The product may still be excellent, even if the uncool people like it.:rolleyes:

RogerinTPA
06-17-10, 07:15
I've got a 16" BCM middy and thinking of getting one of these buffer springs (or maybe a Sprinco) since they've got a long lifespan and a couple other positive aspects.

Just wondering what kind of buffer I should run in the gun if I switch springs. Mostly I shoot stuff like .55gr UMC and PMC .223 with the occasional 62gr stuff

I'm not seeing a compelling reason for going down this path. Do you actually run your weapons that hard to warrant this change? Middy's (I have 2) work quite well with a regular action spring/carbine buffer, as well as an H buffer. Are you having cycling issues with this set up?

C4IGrant
06-17-10, 08:24

Don't do it (too long). You will most likely have to cut it down in order to get it to cycle.

C4

C4IGrant
06-17-10, 08:25

:D

C4

GearHead_1
06-20-10, 17:43
My Tubbs flatwire spring worked quite well in my AR15 carbine-gas 16" barrel systems with both carbine weight and H buffers, but it really felt smooth when used in conjunction with a Spiker's ST-2 buffer. I really like the combination when shooting, and though I know the rest of my 14.5" rifles will be midlength gas system, for a carbine length gas system, I can feel that it tames a lot of the movement of the rifle on the butt end. Less "bouncy" is the best way to describe it.

Same result here.