PDA

View Full Version : Do any acceptable 9X18 Makarov loads exist?

dorchester
06-15-10, 17:08
A brief search came back with no hits, so... The 9X18 load is just enough more powerful than the old .380 that I wondered if it had enough going for it to be an adequate performer, or not. There are a lot of nice low dollar pistols built for this round (CZ's in particular) that it might make a decent option assuming it can make the testing criteria. Has anybody run the commercial hollow points through a proper test?

dorchester
06-17-10, 16:14
Hmmm... crickets. I know this is not a professional's first choice but I can't help but think that 9X18 in a steel CZ pistol would make a nice low recoil/low dollar(purchase and practice costs) pistol for those who want a pistol but have the obvious limitations.

Entropy
06-17-10, 17:27
The big issue with the .380 and the 9x18 is that they use light weight bullets for the caliber. This means that they use "short" bullets unlike the 9x19mm which is optimized by using bullets that are much longer from 124gr-147gr.

The primary consideration of any handgun caliber is whether or not it has adequate penetration levels through barriers and through tissue/bone. A major(if not the primary) factor in a handgun's penetration ability is its sectional density. Think of SD as the mass concentration of a bullet and how much area that mass is spread over(diameter). For instance, a 135gr bullet in 9mm has a LOT more sectional density than a 135gr bullet in .40S&W as that mass is concentration over a smaller area. Higher SD results in better overall penetration ability when using jacketed hollow points.

Here's a great read on SD:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume4/number1/toc.htm

I would say that the 9x18 is a better choice than using .380acp, however the difference is minimal regardless of what type of ammo that you use. The 9x18 in JHP form is only a 100-110gr bullet which in the 9x19mm does poorly when it comes to penetration. I would be very surprised if the best 9x18 JHPs on the market penetrated beyond 8-9" in bare gel.

warpigM-4
06-17-10, 18:21
Cor-Bon Makes some nice ammo for the Mak +P rated,I used it with No Problems in a Russian and Bulgy Makarov .
I am looking at getting one of the CZ Pistols Now I have A 03 FFL .you have to think Russia Has been using it for 50 Plus years .
I do agree with the Light Bullet weight can be a down fall .But the Wife seems to shot the 380 and 9x18 well ,She shot My HK 45c and it is to much gun for her.But then again it is all about shot placement